How can the symmetry factor for a diagram be quickly determined and verified?

• Thread starter ChrisVer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculation
In summary, the conversation discusses the determination of the symmetry factor for a diagram and the correctness of using 1/4! for each vertex. The final conclusion is that the symmetry factor for the given diagram is 36.
ChrisVer
Gold Member
Can someone check the symmetry factor I've found in the following diagram and verify it?
Do you know if there is any way to determine the SF of a diagram fast?

So I have [itex]\phi_x[/itex] which can be contracted with 4 [itex]\phi_w[/itex] : 4
Then [itex]\phi_y[/itex] which can be contracted with 3 [itex]\phi_w[/itex] : 3
Then I have 2 [itex]\phi_w[/itex] which can be contracted with 4 [itex] \phi_u [/itex]: 2x4
Then I have 3 [itex]\phi_u[/itex] which can be contracted with 4 [itex]\phi_z[/itex]: 3x4
The rest [itex]\phi_u[/itex] get contracted together (only 2 left), whereas the [itex]\phi_z[/itex] we get a factor of 2 since there are 2 possibilities to contract 3 fields.
Finally the last contraction gives just a factor 1 (no possible alternative choices).

So the result from contractions is 4x3x2 x4 x3 x2 x 4 = 4! x 4! x 4
The diagram is of order 3 (3 vertices) so there is a factor 1/3! and also the 1/4! from the coupling constant for [itex]\phi^4[/itex] theory.
So is it correct to say that the symmetry factor is afterall SF=16?

Attachments

• test414.png
    test414.png
    3.4 KB · Views: 430
Physics news on Phys.org
Your factor of 2 (in blue) should be 3. From three fields, there are three possible distinct pairs to construct (AB, AC and BC).
But there is also a second point: there should be a factor of 1/4! for each vertex, so you should have 1/(4!)^3 instead of 1/4!
As for a shortcut: usually people drop the denominator and simply calculate the symmetry factor of the graph (the number of automorphisms in mathspeak). I think there is a nice discussion in Peskin and Schroeder if I recall correctly.

Likes ChrisVer
In Peskin they say that they drop the 1/4! factor and write the vertex factor as [itex]\int d^4 z (-i \lambda)[/itex] because they say that to a generic vertex has four lines coming in from four different places so the various contractions of [itex] \phi \phi \phi \phi[/itex] is 4!...Also the n! from the Taylor expansion will cancel because of interchanging of vertices...
But I don't understand either of these explanations...
So in case I used (1/4!)3 I would have obtained the correct result?

[itex]A= \frac{16}{4! 4!}= \frac{1}{3! 3!} = \frac{1}{36} [/itex]
So the symmetry factor is: 36?

Related to How can the symmetry factor for a diagram be quickly determined and verified?

1. What is SymmetryFactor Calculation?

SymmetryFactor Calculation is a mathematical method used to quantitatively measure the degree of symmetry in a system. It is commonly used in physics and chemistry to analyze the symmetry of molecules, crystals, and other structures.

2. How is SymmetryFactor Calculation performed?

SymmetryFactor Calculation involves determining the number of symmetry operations, also known as symmetry elements, present in a system. These operations include rotations, reflections, and translations. The SymmetryFactor is then calculated by dividing the total number of symmetry operations by the total number of atoms in the system.

3. Why is SymmetryFactor Calculation important?

SymmetryFactor Calculation is important because it provides valuable information about the physical and chemical properties of a system. Symmetry is closely related to the stability, reactivity, and other characteristics of molecules and materials. By understanding the symmetry of a system, scientists can make predictions and design experiments more effectively.

4. How does SymmetryFactor Calculation differ from other methods of symmetry analysis?

There are several other methods of symmetry analysis, such as group theory and point group analysis. While these methods also involve identifying symmetry elements, SymmetryFactor Calculation is unique in that it provides a quantitative value that can be compared between different systems. It also takes into account the number of atoms in the system, making it a more comprehensive measure of symmetry.

5. What are some real-world applications of SymmetryFactor Calculation?

SymmetryFactor Calculation has a wide range of applications in various scientific fields. It is commonly used in crystallography to study the crystalline structure of materials. It is also used in molecular biology to study the symmetry of proteins and other biomolecules. Additionally, SymmetryFactor Calculation is used in materials science, nanotechnology, and other areas where symmetry plays a critical role in the properties and behavior of materials.