How can water pressure be measured in m

In summary, according to this paper, water pressure can be measured in meters using the design pressure of 24m. The theoretical peak demand in many systems has increased beyond the point where minimum residual pressure exceeds 24m - at least according to hydraulic models. Conversion between other units of pressure is possible using the relation between pressure head and pressure. Head, pascal and pounds per square inch are all measures of pressure.
dacgray
How can water pressure be measured in "m"

Hi

I need to understand how minimum residual pressure can be measured in meters. At least I think its meters. The specific sentence in the abstract is:

"The South African civil engineering fraternity has grown to accept 24 m as the design criterion for minimum residual pressure in water distribution systems. However, the theoretical peak demand in many systems has increased beyond the point where minimum residual pressure exceeds 24 m – at least according to hydraulic models."

A copy of this paper can be found at
http://www.scielo.org.za/scielo.php?pid=S1816-79502009000200007&script=sci_arttext

I am developing material to help the South African waterworks department teach its staff along the lines of South African unit standard 254073, and while I am a skilled materials developer, I do not have a background in fluid dynamics. (It's South Africa)

Any help would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org

You can express pressure in 'head'.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pressure_head

Ie the desgin pressure is that made by a column of water 24m high. Or the difference between atmospheric (for example) and another perssure is 24m.

Thanks for the reply,

So would a way that I could explain it be that if the 'head' in a water pipe is 24m, that pressure would be enough to push that water 24m up at normal g? Could I say that a head of 10 m is low pressure, and a head of 50m is high pressure.

another way that I could say it would be that a 24m high column of water would push down with 24m head of pressure. What effect would the diameter of the pipe have on this pressure?

Is there a way that I can convert between head, pascal and pounds per square inch?

Much appreciated.

While Pa is the SI unit for pressure there are various different units still in common usage. Below are a few of the most common ones and their corresponding relation to the standard atmosphere.

1 atm (Atmosphere) = 1.013E5 Pa = 1.013 Bar = 14.7 psi = 10.3m water = 760 mm Hg

* some of the above are approximate.

dacgray said:
Thanks for the reply,

So would a way that I could explain it be that if the 'head' in a water pipe is 24m, that pressure would be enough to push that water 24m up at normal g? Could I say that a head of 10 m is low pressure, and a head of 50m is high pressure.

another way that I could say it would be that a 24m high column of water would push down with 24m head of pressure. What effect would the diameter of the pipe have on this pressure?

Is there a way that I can convert between head, pascal and pounds per square inch?

Much appreciated.

You don't use pressure head to describe a stand alone pressure (its more convenient to simply use a pressure), it's used to describe a difference in pressure. This usualyl comes from experimental values.

As such diameter of the pipe would have no effect on the head. It simply says the difference between the two pressures is enough to send water up a colum 24m.

Just like is a swimming pool, if you have a 25m long pool the pressure at a given depth is the same as if you were in a 50m olympic pool.

Last edited:

Imagine a column of water of a given height h and of area A. What is the pressure P felt under that column?

So:

P = W / A where W is the weight of the column of water.

And:

W = m g where m is the mass of water and g is the acceleration of gravity.

m = rho V where rho is the density of water and V the volume of water.

V = A h

Putting everything together:

P = (m g) / A = (rho V g) / A

P = rho g h

Since rho and g can be assume constant for some specific cases, the pressure varies only with the height of the column of water, no matter what is the area of the column (hence the diameter of the pipe). This is how we can measure pressure in meter. This case was for water, but if you use the density of mercury (Hg) instead, you could measure in "mm Hg", i.e. "equivalent pressure felt under a column of mercury with a height of X millimeters".

The same logic applies to air pressure. If we feel a 101 kpa of air pressure on the ground, it is because of the weight of the air over our head that is pushing down on us due to gravity. (Although, in this particular case, rho and g will vary with height)

Thank you for your help

Related to How can water pressure be measured in m

1. How is water pressure measured in m?

Water pressure can be measured in m (meters) using a pressure measuring device, such as a manometer or pressure gauge. The device is connected to the water source and the pressure is recorded in units of meters.

2. What is the unit of measurement for water pressure in m?

The unit of measurement for water pressure in m is meters (m). Other common units of measurement for water pressure include pounds per square inch (psi) and pascals (Pa).

3. Can water pressure be measured in other units besides m?

Yes, water pressure can be measured in various units such as psi, Pa, kPa, and bar. The choice of unit will depend on the specific application and the preference of the researcher or engineer.

4. How does water pressure vary with depth?

Water pressure increases with depth due to the weight of the water above it. This is known as hydrostatic pressure. For every 10 meters of depth, the water pressure increases by approximately 1 atmosphere (or 14.7 psi).

5. Can water pressure be measured accurately in m?

Yes, water pressure can be measured accurately in m using precise pressure measuring devices. However, the accuracy of the measurement may also depend on other factors such as the quality and condition of the equipment, as well as the expertise of the person conducting the measurement.