How can you use a winch to pull a car?

• Thread starter webren
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tension
In summary, the distance between two telephone poles is 50.0 m. When a 1.00-kg bird lands on the telephone wire midway between the poles, the wire sags 0.200 m. The book's answer of 613 N for the tension in the wire is correct, despite the seemingly low weight of the bird. This is because the tension in the wire is equally distributed on both sides of the bird, and the angle of the wire is very small. By using the sum of forces equation, we can find that the tension on both sides of the bird is 19.44 N, resulting in a total tension of 613 N in the wire. This concept can also be applied in situations such as
webren
"The distance between two telephone poles is 50.0 m. When a 1.00-kg bird lands on the telephone wire midway between the poles, the wire sags 0.200 m. How much tension does the bird produce in the wire? Ignore the weight of the wire."

Below are my steps in solving the problem. My problem is my answer does not match the book's and the book's answer doesn't quite make sense. Here is my solution:

In solving this problem, I drew a free body diagram and realized there were two tensions: left and right of the bird. I assumed both tensions are equal, because the problem states the bid sat "midway" on the wire.

I made a right triangle, with my hypotenuse being the tension, my opposite side (or y component) being .2 m, and my adjacent side (or x component) 25 m. I used the inverse tangent to find what the angle would be, which came up to be 0.46 degrees. Intuitively, that makes sense, because the weight of the bird can only be so much, and the weight wouldn't cause a large angle.

Next, I stated that the sum of forces equals T1 + T2 - W = 0 (because of no accleration - the bird isn't moving).

The X force component is T2Cos 0.46 degrees.
The y force component is T1Sin 0.46 degrees.

My final equations comes to be T2(1) + T2(0.008) = W
I simplified it to be T2(1.008) = W. Because W = mg, I made the equation T2(1.008) = (1.0)(9.80). In solving for the tension, I get 9.72 N. Because there are two tensions and because the tensions are equal, I multiplied 9.72 by 2 and got 19.44 N as my final answer.

The book's answer is 613 N. That seems extremely heavy for a bird. Is the book correct, am I, or neither?

Thanks for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
First, nice post. You wrote down your thought process, and it is correct. Good job.

However, I am afraid your book is correct.

The problem is that you should have said:

[tex] \sum F_y: 2T_2sin( \theta) = W [/tex]

The equation above should clear it up for you, it not ask. Look over your Free body a second time and you will see why.

EDIT: Sorry that should be a sine not cosine.

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick response.

Was my error in defining a y component for the force? Oh, and in my y component, I made it T2Sin(0.46)degrees.

Well, I do not know how you got this:

T2(1) + T2(0.008) = W

T2(1) - I do not see where the (1) came from.

Was my error in defining a y component for the force? Oh, and in my y component, I made it T2Sin(0.46)degrees.

No. It is exactly the two components of tension in the y-direction, (one for each segment of wire) that counters the weight of the bird in the downward direction.

You should have said:

[tex] \sum F_x: T_1 cos(\theta) - T_2 cos(\theta) = 0 [/tex]

From there, [tex]T_1 = T_2[/tex]

Now, you can solve:

[tex] \sum F_y: T_1 sin( \theta) + T_2 sin( \theta) - mg = 0 [/tex]

Last edited:
I got the 1 from cos(0.46) being 0.999.

Ah, I see.

No, that is correct cos(0.46)~=1; but, that is not necessary for the problem.

Does my post above your last make sense to you?

Yes, your post cleared everything up. I've realized and corrected my mistakes. Thank you.

No problem.

webren said:
The book's answer is 613 N. That seems extremely heavy for a bird. Is the book correct, am I, or neither?
The book's answer is correct, but the bird still only weighs 9.8 N.

This is an old trick for pulling your Jeep out of the mud. Even with a mechanical winch, you can wrap one end of the cable around a rock or tree and hand crank the winch until the cable is taut. Pushing or pulling the cable perpendicular to the length of the cable allows you to apply a huge amount of force to pulling your Jeep out of the mud.

Of course you're not actually moving it very far each time and have to keep recranking the winch, but ...

Related to How can you use a winch to pull a car?

1. What is tension?

Tension refers to the force that is applied to an object when it is pulled or stretched. It is a measure of the amount of stress that is being put on an object.

2. How do you calculate tension?

Tension can be calculated by using the formula T = F * L, where T is tension, F is the force being applied, and L is the length of the object being pulled or stretched.

3. What is a tough problem on tension?

A tough problem on tension refers to a complex or challenging situation where the forces and lengths involved are not easily measurable or known. It may require advanced mathematical or physics concepts to solve.

4. How do you approach a tough problem on tension?

The best approach to solving a tough problem on tension is to break it down into smaller, more manageable parts. This could involve drawing diagrams, identifying the known and unknown variables, and applying relevant formulas and equations.

5. What are some common real-world applications of tension?

Tension is an important concept in engineering, as it is crucial for designing structures that can withstand forces such as wind and earthquakes. It is also relevant in fields such as biomechanics, where tension in muscles and tendons plays a role in movement and balance.