How did you come up with your username?

• Thread starter ~christina~
  • Start date
In summary, the user's username is their real name with a number added to it to make it unique. They chose it because it was cool and humorous, and it works well for all internet forums.
Mine's my nickname. Kinda dull really!

Physics news on Phys.org
"So we keep the same instincts as our primate and pre-primate ancestors, but we superimpose culture and law on top of this. So we get split in two, dig? You might say, mankind is the statutory ape." -Mounty Babbit in Schrodinger's Cat Trilogy, by Robert Anton Wilson

I'm too modest to use my own name. I know a guy who is a genius, well-read, highly educated, handsome, rich, strong, witty, and popular. I used his name.

Just a randon name really, and the bits on each side just make it look epic.

I don't remember where I heard my nickname firts
Maybe I heard it in my dream

I have this username in all forums, ICQ, e-mails :)
I like it :)

An obsession with math. . . and an obsession with 1337speak.

Noone said:
My User name was based on a concept of Someone and No one.(Perception)
it best showed my point of view of how my view and perception of the world around me is not that of someone's but that of noOne's, but the noOne is someone, and that someone would be me, No one.

A philosophy concept of word's and point's of view of perception...
(No, one person know's)
(the preceving of perception)

Whoever banned this guy... thank you!
I tried to read this post 3 times, and each attempt just made my head hurt worse.

Eddie Griffin, 2002.

Noone said:
...not that of someone's but that of noOne's, but the noOne is someone, and that someone would be me, No one.

According to that no one is someone, so therefor someone must be no one. Headache.

Noone said:
My User name was based on a concept of Someone and No one.(Perception)
it best showed my point of view of how my view and perception of the world around me is not that of someone's but that of noOne's, but the noOne is someone, and that someone would be me, No one.

A philosophy concept of word's and point's of view of perception...
(No, one person know's)
(the preceving of perception)
That's basically what I did, but with a slight twist.

The first name for most people in my family starts with a B. My aunt, grandfather, father, uncle and myself. Quite a few of my ancestors names also stared with a B. It's kinda funny.

It was a username given to me in elementary school for everything, and it has just stuck ever since then. No one ever seems to get it either, lol, I guess it will be a mystery to all :biggrin:

My user name started out as "Defennder", when I first registered a username on the Internet. That was actually a spelling error. But I still used it because I realized that it is readily available as a unique moniker; for every site I've been to, no one uses this nick. When I registered for PF, I entered that username. Unfortunately I mispelled it, this time it has 3 'n's. Oh well. Guess I'm stuck with it.

Why, I'm named in honour of the late great muddy waters

So why not use McKinley?:confused:

In Poland, if your second name is Borkowski, you are called Borek for all your life, whether you like it, or not :smile:

Borek said:
In Poland, if your second name is Borkowski, you are called Borek for all your life, whether you like it, or not :smile:

I like the way it sounds

"Lightbulb Sun" is a song by the band Porcupine Tree.

LightbulbSun said:
"Lightbulb Sun" is a song by the band Porcupine Tree.

It's also the name of the album, a very good album too. :smile:

GCT - General Chemistry Tutor - at the time when I was an undergraduate majoring in Chemistry tutoring General Chemistry. I have since then graduated and am a chemist - I asked Greg to shorten the username to GCT.

Defennnder said:
My user name started out as "Defennder", when I first registered a username on the Internet. That was actually a spelling error. But I still used it because I realized that it is readily available as a unique moniker; for every site I've been to, no one uses this nick. When I registered for PF, I entered that username. Unfortunately I mispelled it, this time it has 3 'n's. Oh well. Guess I'm stuck with it.
So it's a misspelling of a misspelling? :smile: (While on the subject of misspelling, does that word have one s or two? Word highlights it as misspelled if I put two 's's in it, and Safari complains if I put in one...other than laughing that Apple and Microsoft are fighting over ownership of the dictionary along with everything else, which is the right spelling?)

Borek said:

What about those with the name Borkowska? Are the women stuck with the name Borek too? :biggrin:

_Muddy_ said:
Why, I'm named in honour of the late great muddy waters
I watched him perform when I was younger, Lightnin' Hopkins was also on the bill that night, I believe. Are you familiar with him?

d1ff30m0rf1zm said:
An obsession with math. . . and an obsession with 1337speak.

Diffeomorphism... I get it now! l:smile:

Forgive me... I haven't had whatever class those are in yet.

Evo said:
I watched him perform when I was younger, Lightnin' Hopkins was also on the bill that night, I believe. Are you familiar with him?
One of my favorite (slightly older than me) contemporaries is Buddy Guy. He made his way to Chicago and wanted to audition with Muddy, and asked for a meal. Muddy stood him to a drink of whiskey saying that he'd be better off singing while hungry. Muddy was killer, as was his bassist Willie Dixon. Many of my local blues friends (in a and called the Blue Flames) backed up his pianist, Pinetop Perkins in his live CD "Live Top". These guys are Mainers that are main-lining Chicago blues and this CD is a killer. Highly recommended.

Last edited:
Moonbear said:
So it's a misspelling of a misspelling? :smile: (While on the subject of misspelling, does that word have one s or two? Word highlights it as misspelled if I put two 's's in it, and Safari complains if I put in one...other than laughing that Apple and Microsoft are fighting over ownership of the dictionary along with everything else, which is the right spelling?)
I have spelled it "mispelled" my whole life. I have absolutely no idea that was wrong.

Defennnder said:
I have spelled it "mispelled" my whole life. I have absolutely no idea that was wrong.

Ah, Webster's unabridged dictionary (the weight-lifter's version) says it's misspelled (two of the letter s). I was SURE Word was wrong all these years, but had been too lazy to look it up. One more reason to bash Microsoft...for destroying the English language. :biggrin: I enjoy the irony of misspelling misspelled though. :biggrin: Maybe that will be my next username when I have to think up another for something...mispelled. :biggrin:

Moonbear said:
Ah, Webster's unabridged dictionary (the weight-lifter's version) says it's misspelled (two of the letter s). I was SURE Word was wrong all these years, but had been too lazy to look it up. One more reason to bash Microsoft...for destroying the English language. :biggrin: I enjoy the irony of misspelling misspelled though. :biggrin: Maybe that will be my next username when I have to think up another for something...mispelled. :biggrin:
I think I've misspelled it. But two ss's make sense.

Yeah, Microsoft Outlook told me that the "Super Bowl" should be spelled "Superb Owl".

'Mis' is a prefix indicating a negative. If the following word begins with an 's', therefore, you get two of them. With any other initial letter, you use only one.

RocketSurgery said:
It's also the name of the album, a very good album too. :smile:

Yes, a very good album, and a very good band. "Dark Matter" always tears me up.

My name is actually an image of santa (because he's an awesome ninja).

Found mind growing in a tree...

Danger said:
'Mis' is a prefix indicating a negative. If the following word begins with an 's', therefore, you get two of them. With any other initial letter, you use only one.

so, 'mister' is a negative 'ter' then?

I got mine (username) from looking up definitions over and over again

rewebster said:
so, 'mister' is a negative 'ter' then?
And a mistress has no hair? Actually a mistress is halfway between a mister and a mattress.