How Do I Correctly Determine Angular Velocity?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving finding the angular velocity of a pulley on an incline. The equations and attempts at a solution are provided, with a focus on determining the difference in tension in the rope due to the pulley's mass and angular momentum. The question of how to know when the tension is different when using a massless pulley is also addressed. Ultimately, it is determined that the negative sign in the calculation of acceleration is incorrect and the solution is revised.
Kirushanthy

Homework Statement

Please see attached document.

Homework Equations

How do I find the angular velocity because I got a value of of -99.1?

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the force equation for M1 and M2. So Fx for M1: Fx= T-um1g=m1a. Fx for M2: Fx= m2gsin(theta)-T-um2gcos(theta)=m2a. Since the 2 accelerations are the same, I used the 2 equations to solve for a and i got a value of 5.415m/s^2. Angular acceleration is equal to a/r so i did 5.415/0.20= 27.075. Since angular speed should be angular acceleration multiplied by time, I found time by using the xf=3=1/at^2, where I got t= 1.05s. When I multiply the values, I get 28.5. What am I doing wrong?I have my exam tomorrow so I would really appreciate it if someone can help me before thent!
Screen Shot 2014-12-06 at 12.18.50 AM.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Kirushanthy said:

Homework Statement

Please see attached document.

Homework Equations

How do I find the angular velocity because I got a value of of -99.1?

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the force equation for M1 and M2. So Fx for M1: Fx= T-um1g=m1a. Fx for M2: Fx= m2gsin(theta)-T-um2gcos(theta)=m2a. Since the 2 accelerations are the same, I used the 2 equations to solve for a and i got a value of 5.415m/s^2. Angular acceleration is equal to a/r so i did 5.415/0.20= 27.075. Since angular speed should be angular acceleration multiplied by time, I found time by using the xf=3=1/at^2, where I got t= 1.05s. When I multiply the values, I get 28.5. What am I doing wrong?I have my exam tomorrow so I would really appreciate it if someone can help me before thent!View attachment 76255
The tensions are not the same in the pieces of the string, as they must drive the rotation of the pulley.

Likes sugz
Conceptually your solution seems to be fine, I agree with everything you did. Check again, maybe it's an arithmetic mistake.
EDIT: Oooh never mind, my bad. ehild is right, I think you need to consider that a difference in the two tensions will provoke a rotation in the pulley. Didn't read carefully enough, sorry!

Last edited:
ehild said:
The tensions are not the same in the pieces of the string, as they must drive the rotation of the pulley.
Hi,
How do we know the tension is different
ehild said:
How do we know that the tension is different have been used to the tension being the same when the rope is over a massless pulley? Can you or anyone else elaborate on this concept.?

sugz said:
How do we know that the tension is different have been used to the tension being the same when the rope is over a massless pulley? Can you or anyone else elaborate on this concept.?
But the pulley is not massless now. It has moment of inertia I=0.41 kgm2. The rim of the pulley moves together with the string, it has the same linear acceleration and angular acceleration α=a/r. The equation between torque and angular acceleration is τ=Iα. One string turns the pulley in one direction, the other rotates it to the opposite direction. The net torque is difference of tension multiplied by the radius of the pulley. For nonzero torque, the tensions must be different.

ehild said:
How are they different? They are the same rope and so tension is uniform throughout the rope. In the textbook, they did a similar example, but it wasn't on an incline.

Kirushanthy said:
How are they different? They are the same rope and so tension is uniform throughout the rope. In the textbook, they did a similar example, but it wasn't on an incline.
The rope interacts with the pulley. In the piece in contact with the pulley, the tension changes, as the pulley is accelerated, and it has mass and angular momentum.

ehild said:
The rope interacts with the pulley. In the piece in contact with the pulley, the tension changes, as the pulley is accelerated, and it has mass and angular momentum.
Hi ehild,

Its very kind of you to help me! I understand this now that you have explained it. I also approached it another way in the meantime using torque and momentum as change in momentum is equal to net torque and got the acceleration as negative. The only way I was able to get the correct answer for the question was when I ignored the negative sign on acceleration. I will post my steps here, can you please tell me where I made a mistake?

http://imgur.com/4sYgrBu

Check the signs. The sign of angular momentum in line 1 is inconsistent with the sign of the torque in line 5. The net torque must increase the angular momentum.

Likes Kirushanthy

Related to How Do I Correctly Determine Angular Velocity?

1. What is angular velocity?

Angular velocity is a measure of how quickly an object is rotating around a fixed point. It is typically expressed in radians per second or degrees per second.

2. How is angular velocity calculated?

Angular velocity can be calculated by dividing the change in angular position (in radians or degrees) by the change in time. It can also be calculated by dividing the linear velocity of a point on the rotating object by its distance from the axis of rotation.

3. What is the difference between angular velocity and linear velocity?

Angular velocity is a measure of how fast an object is rotating, while linear velocity is a measure of how fast an object is moving in a straight line. Angular velocity is measured in radians or degrees per second, while linear velocity is measured in meters per second.

4. What factors affect angular velocity?

Angular velocity can be affected by the size and shape of the object, as well as the distance from the axis of rotation. The force and torque applied to the object can also impact its angular velocity.

5. Why is angular velocity important?

Angular velocity is an important concept in physics and engineering as it helps us understand the motion of rotating objects. It can also be used to calculate the angular acceleration and determine the stability of objects in motion.