How Do I Determine Shear Force and Moment at Point C?

• Thread starter shreddinglicks
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, Homework Equations:-The Attempt at a Solution found that M = FAY(18) - ?(6) = 0-I tried to apply that to get torque about C. -M = 9(6) + 3(2) = 0-found xbar = 6/3 -I tried the same thing, 1/2*6*3 = 9. How do I get the 3 that is shown in the solutions?-Yes, 27 kip is the total applied load acting on the beam. (Please show units on your calculations)-It's not clear what reference you are using to calculate xbar.-
shreddinglicks

Homework Statement

determine the sheer force and the moment acting at a section passing through point C in the beam. w = 3 kip/ft

Homework Equations

M = FR

The Attempt at a Solution

I am trying to find the force at, "FAY." So I tried to get the moment at B.

M = FAY(18) - ?(6) = 0

I am trying to figure out what goes in place of the question mark. I got the length of six by finding my xbar = 18/3.
The solution manual I saw gives the force that goes in place of the question mark to be 27 kip. How do I get that?

Attachments

• media_23b_23b57840-0912-48fe-ade5-c350d7ef588c_php1gMEoH.png
    media_23b_23b57840-0912-48fe-ade5-c350d7ef588c_php1gMEoH.png
    4.3 KB · Views: 494
Physics news on Phys.org
shreddinglicks said:

The Attempt at a Solution

I am trying to find the force at, "FAY." So I tried to get the moment at B.

M = FAY(18) - ?(6) = 0

I am trying to figure out what goes in place of the question mark. I got the length of six by finding my xbar = 18/3.
The solution manual I saw gives the force that goes in place of the question mark to be 27 kip. How do I get that?

What's the total load on the beam, given the distribution as shown in the diagram? You know the loading is 0 kip/ft at point A and 3 kip/ft at point C.

BTW, this same problem has been ventilated at length recently in this forum. Scroll back about 10 days and you should find the other threads which cover this exact problem.

SteamKing said:
What's the total load on the beam, given the distribution as shown in the diagram? You know the loading is 0 kip/ft at point A and 3 kip/ft at point C.

BTW, this same problem has been ventilated at length recently in this forum. Scroll back about 10 days and you should find the other threads which cover this exact problem.

I did 1/2*3*18 = 27 Is that correct?

I tried to apply that to get torque about C.

M = 9(6) + 3(2) = 0

found xbar = 6/3
I tried the same thing, 1/2*6*3 = 9. How do I get the 3 that is shown in the solutions?

shreddinglicks said:
I did 1/2*3*18 = 27 Is that correct?

I tried to apply that to get torque about C.

M = 9(6) + 3(2) = 0

found xbar = 6/3
I tried the same thing, 1/2*6*3 = 9. How do I get the 3 that is shown in the solutions?

Yes, 27 kip is the total applied load acting on the beam. (Please show units on your calculations)

It's not clear what reference you are using to calculate xbar.

As always, write clear equations of static equilibrium for these problems. It saves a lot of time and guess work.

Remember, you have a distributed load which varies as a function of position from point A. Once you calculate the ordinate of the load distribution at point C, then you can calculate the total applied load acting on the beam between points A and C.

SteamKing said:
Yes, 27 kip is the total applied load acting on the beam. (Please show units on your calculations)

It's not clear what reference you are using to calculate xbar.

As always, write clear equations of static equilibrium for these problems. It saves a lot of time and guess work.

Remember, you have a distributed load which varies as a function of position from point A. Once you calculate the ordinate of the load distribution at point C, then you can calculate the total applied load acting on the beam between points A and C.

I calculated xbar using point C as my reference.

Since I know FAY = 9 kip
To calculate the load at point C do I just do 9 + FC = 0

so FC = -9 kip?

But if I take that value of -9 and get the total load from A to C, 1/2*9*6 = 27. Not the 3 kip the solutions has.

How do I know the total applied load acting on point A to B is 3 kip?

Last edited:
Like I said, you have to calculate the applied load between points A and C using the load distribution as shown in the OP. You cannot ignore this step and expect to get the correct value of the shear force at point C.

BTW, referring xbar to point C is not helpful here. It's better to use point A as the reference.

SteamKing said:
Like I said, you have to calculate the applied load between points A and C using the load distribution as shown in the OP. You cannot ignore this step and expect to get the correct value of the shear force at point C.

BTW, referring xbar to point C is not helpful here. It's better to use point A as the reference.

I really am clueless. If I just make a free body diagram from point A to C I have a triangle with a length of 6 feet. I have 3 kip/ft applied to the triangle.

I do 1/2*6*3 = 9 kip. Not the 3 kip I should have as the total applied load.

Regardless of where I take my xbar from, I have a center of 4 ft from point A or 2 feet from point C.

shreddinglicks said:
I really am clueless. If I just make a free body diagram from point A to C I have a triangle with a length of 6 feet. I have 3 kip/ft applied to the triangle.

You have a distributed load value of w = 3 kip/ft applied only at x = 18 feet from point A. Is the diagram not clear to you on this point?

If you want to find values of w at intermediate points between A and B, you have to calculate them. (Hint: think ratios or linear interpolation)

SteamKing said:
You have a distributed load value of w = 3 kip/ft applied only at x = 18 feet from point A. Is the diagram not clear to you on this point?

If you want to find values of w at intermediate points between A and B, you have to calculate them. (Hint: think ratios or linear interpolation)
SteamKing said:

So you mean I do a [(change in y) / (change in x)] sort of thing?

I was thinking since it is 3 kip at 18 ft, so 12 ft is 2 kip, and 6 ft is 1 kip? Is that the idea here?

Last edited:
shreddinglicks said:
So you mean I do a [(change in y) / (change in x)] sort of thing?

I was thinking since it is 3 kip at 18 ft, so 12 ft is 2 kip, and 6 ft is 1 kip? Is that the idea here?

Yes, exactly. You cannot calculate the correct applied load between A and C unless you use the correct values for w. But w is in kip/ft, not kip.

SteamKing said:
Yes, exactly. You cannot calculate the correct applied load between A and C unless you use the correct values for w. But w is in kip/ft, not kip.

Thank you, That was the 1st problem of that nature I had to solve. Thanks again!

Related to How Do I Determine Shear Force and Moment at Point C?

1. How do I calculate the total force of an object?

To calculate the total force of an object, you will need to know the mass of the object and the acceleration it is experiencing. The formula for calculating force is F = m x a, where F is the total force, m is the mass, and a is the acceleration. Simply plug in the values and calculate the result.

2. What units should I use for calculating force?

The unit for force is typically measured in Newtons (N). However, depending on the context, other units such as pounds (lb) or kilograms (kg) may also be used. It is important to make sure that all units are consistent when calculating force.

3. How do I find the total force if there are multiple forces acting on an object?

If there are multiple forces acting on an object, you will need to add them together to find the total force. This can be done by using vector addition, where you break down each force into its horizontal and vertical components and then add them together. Alternatively, you can also use the formula F = ma, where m is the mass of the object and a is the net acceleration.

4. Can I use the same formula to find the total force for different types of motion?

Yes, the formula for calculating force (F = m x a) can be used for different types of motion, such as linear, circular, or rotational motion. However, the values for mass and acceleration may vary depending on the type of motion.

5. What other factors should I consider when calculating total force?

In addition to mass and acceleration, other factors that may affect the total force of an object include friction, air resistance, and other external forces. These must be taken into account when calculating the net force acting on an object.