How do voltage and current combine to determine electrical power?

In summary, electrical power is equal to voltage multiplied by current. This is because voltage is a measure of energy per unit charge and current is a measure of charge per unit time. Therefore, when multiplied together, they result in the unit of power, joules per second. It is important to note that power can also be calculated using the formula Power = Resistance x (Current)^2, which is applicable for both DC and AC circuits. It is crucial to have a thorough understanding of basic units when working with electricity.
polekitten
Why does electrical power = voltage x current? I understand power is the rate of doing work or the rate of energy transfer but how does that relate to voltage an current?

I know current is the flow of charge and voltage is a difference in charge between 2 points.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Because voltage = joules/coulomb and
current = coulombs/second so

Voltage * current = joules/second

Which is the definition of power.

Likes Entanglement, davenn and anorlunda
polekitten said:
Why does electrical power = voltage x current?
I prefer to state Power dissipated = R*I2. This is correct both for DC and AC.

polekitten said:
voltage is a difference in charge between 2 points.
er, uh, make that "voltage is a difference in potential"

Be very rigorous about learning your basic units .

Related to How do voltage and current combine to determine electrical power?

1. What is the difference between power, current, and voltage?

Power is the rate at which energy is transferred or converted. It is measured in watts (W). Current is the flow of electric charge, usually carried by electrons. It is measured in amperes (A). Voltage is the difference in electric potential between two points in an electrical circuit. It is measured in volts (V).

2. How are power, current, and voltage related?

The relationship between power, current, and voltage can be described by Ohm's Law, which states that the current flowing through a conductor is directly proportional to the voltage applied and inversely proportional to the resistance of the conductor. This can be expressed as P=IV, where P is power, I is current, and V is voltage.

3. What is the unit for measuring power, current, and voltage?

Power is measured in watts (W), current is measured in amperes (A), and voltage is measured in volts (V).

4. How does the power, current, and voltage affect the performance of an electrical device?

The power, current, and voltage can affect the performance of an electrical device in several ways. For example, a higher voltage can increase the speed of an electric motor, while a higher current can cause a heating effect in the device, which can affect its efficiency and lifespan. It is important to properly match the power, current, and voltage requirements of a device to ensure optimal performance and safety.

5. What are some common sources of power, current, and voltage in everyday life?

Power, current, and voltage can be found in many aspects of everyday life. Some common sources include batteries, power outlets, and solar panels. In addition, power, current, and voltage are also present in electronic devices such as smartphones, computers, and household appliances.