How do YBCO superconductors react with hydrochloric acid?

Mayhem
If we consider YBCO 123, YBa2Cu3O7-δ, what would the expected reaction if dissolved in aqeuous HCl? I have tried to find resources about this online, but the closest I got was related to Cl-containing YBCOs, and not actual reaction stoichiometry.

My intuition tells me the metal centers (Y, Ba) are not immediately affected as they are contained in the oxygen/copper cage. Rather, I'd expect products like copper chloride(s).

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Update: It turns out it reacts to form Y3+, Ba2+, Cu2+ and Cu3+ ions as well as chloride and water.

• Informative
Likes Tom.G

Related to How do YBCO superconductors react with hydrochloric acid?

1. How do YBCO superconductors react with hydrochloric acid?

YBCO superconductors do not react with hydrochloric acid. They are known for their high chemical stability and are resistant to most acids, including hydrochloric acid.

2. Will hydrochloric acid affect the superconducting properties of YBCO?

No, hydrochloric acid will not affect the superconducting properties of YBCO. The superconducting properties of YBCO are mainly influenced by temperature and magnetic field, rather than chemical reactions with acids.

3. Can YBCO superconductors be safely handled in a laboratory setting where hydrochloric acid is present?

Yes, YBCO superconductors can be safely handled in a laboratory setting where hydrochloric acid is present. The superconductors are chemically stable and will not react with the acid, posing no risk to the handling process.

4. Are there any precautions to take when working with YBCO superconductors and hydrochloric acid?

While YBCO superconductors are not affected by hydrochloric acid, it is always recommended to wear appropriate personal protective equipment when working with any chemicals in a laboratory setting. This includes gloves, goggles, and a lab coat to ensure safety.

5. Can hydrochloric acid be used to clean YBCO superconductors?

It is not recommended to use hydrochloric acid to clean YBCO superconductors. While the acid may not react with the superconductors, there are other cleaning methods that are more suitable and less corrosive, such as using a mild detergent or alcohol solution.