How Do You Calculate Elastic Modulus from Stress and Strain Data?

• Thread starter Matthew Heywood
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mechanics
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of bending stress and the relationship between bending moment and second moment of area. The formula for bending stress is σ = My/I, where M is the bending moment, y is the distance from the neutral axis, and I is the second moment of area. If the material begins to yield, the bending stress is equal to the material's strength. To calculate E, the formula E = σ/ε can be used, where ε is the strain and can be calculated as y/R.
Matthew Heywood
Hello

I've attached the question as a JPEG, and I need some help with part b. I've completed part A and got the results:

at x=0: Q= 0 & P/2, M = 0
at x=L/2: Q = P/2 & -P/2, M = PL/4
at x=L: Q = -P/2 & 0, M = 0

Q4.jpg

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!

Edit: Had to edit so my results from A were more readable. Sorry.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your diagram is correct from what I remember it should look like.

For the second part, the bending moment diagram you drew would give you the maximum bending moment. How would you find the second moment of area I for the cross-section and how do the bending moment and the second moment of area relate to the bending stress?

If the material begins to yield, then your bending stress is equal to what strength?

Thank you for the reply.

So σ = My/I: M = PL/4, I = bd3/12 and y = d/2
∴ σ = (PL/4)(d/2) / bd3/12 = 12(PL/4)d / 2bd3 = 3PL/2bd2

Thanks!

How would I then proceed to calculate E in that form? E = σ/ε and ε = y/R ?

Related to How Do You Calculate Elastic Modulus from Stress and Strain Data?

1. How can I solve this mechanics question?

In order to solve a mechanics question, you need to break it down into smaller parts and identify the relevant equations and variables. Then, plug in the given values and solve for the unknown variable.

2. Can you explain the concept behind this mechanics question?

Yes, I can explain the concept behind the mechanics question. It is important to understand the fundamental principles of mechanics, such as Newton's laws of motion and the concepts of force, velocity, and acceleration, in order to solve mechanics problems.

3. What should I do if I am stuck on a mechanics question?

If you are stuck on a mechanics question, take a step back and review the given information and equations. If necessary, look for similar examples or ask for clarification from your teacher or peers. It can also be helpful to draw diagrams or make a list of known and unknown variables.

4. Are there any tips or tricks for solving mechanics questions?

Yes, there are some tips and tricks that can help you with solving mechanics questions. These include organizing the given information, checking units and dimensions, and using multiple equations to solve for multiple unknown variables.

5. How can I improve my mechanics problem-solving skills?

To improve your mechanics problem-solving skills, it is important to practice regularly and work through a variety of problems. Additionally, make sure to review the fundamental concepts and equations, and seek help from teachers or tutors if needed.