How Do You Differentiate the Modulus of a Complex Number in Riemannian Metrics?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Poirot1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Metric
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the differential of a function f at a point z evaluated at e and e'. The basis e and e' form a tangent space at z, and the function f is defined as f(z)=z/|z|^2. The participants also discuss the use of Cauchy-Riemann equation to differentiate a function, and the fact that the function f is not differentiable at |z|. The goal is to find f'(a(t)) evaluated at t=0.
Poirot1
I'm interested in part iv) on the attachment. This is my work so far:
e=(1,0) and e'=(0,1) form a basis of the tangent space at any point z=(x,y). Making the identification (x,y)->x+iy, we get g(e,e')=0 and g(e,e)=g(e',e')=$\frac{1}{im(z)^2}$.

a(t)=z+t and b(t)=z+it are generating curves for e,e' respectively.
(lets call the function f)

$f(z)=\frac{z}{|z|^2}$ so $f(a(t))=\frac{z+t}{|z+t|^2}$. I need to find f'(a(t)) to proceed. How can I cope with differentiating the modulus of a complex number z? Thanks

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    22.4 KB · Views: 48
Physics news on Phys.org
Re: riemannian metric question

I don't know about metric spaces , but I know about complex analysis ... To differentiate a function a necessary requirement is to satisfy the cauchy-riemann equation .. suppose that \(\displaystyle f(z)=|z|\) this function is clearly not differentiable

\(\displaystyle f(z)=\sqrt{x^2+y^2} \)

By the cauchy-reimann equation we must have \(\displaystyle \frac{\partial u}{\partial x}=\frac{\partial v}{\partial y}\)

Which is clearly not satisfied for \(\displaystyle |z|\)

The function you are trying to differentiate seems a function of several variables ? , are you differentiating with respect to t ?

Re: riemannian metric question

I need to find the differential of f at z evaluated at e (and e'). This is equal to f'(a(t)) evaluated at t=0.

Related to How Do You Differentiate the Modulus of a Complex Number in Riemannian Metrics?

1. What is a Riemannian metric?

A Riemannian metric is a mathematical concept that defines the distance between points on a curved surface. It is a way of measuring the curvature of a space, and it is an essential tool in the study of geometry and differential equations.

2. How is a Riemannian metric different from a Euclidean metric?

A Riemannian metric is specific to curved spaces, while a Euclidean metric is used for flat spaces. In a Euclidean metric, the distance between two points is calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, while in a Riemannian metric, it is calculated using a more complex formula that takes into account the curvature of the space.

3. What is the significance of Riemannian metrics in physics?

Riemannian metrics have a fundamental role in Einstein's theory of general relativity, which describes the gravitational interaction between massive objects. In this theory, the curvature of spacetime is determined by the distribution of matter and energy, and Riemannian metrics are used to quantify this curvature and its effects.

4. What are some real-world applications of Riemannian metrics?

Riemannian metrics have practical applications in fields such as computer graphics, medical imaging, and machine learning. They are used to model and analyze shapes and structures in 3D space, which is useful in designing and simulating objects, understanding biological processes, and developing algorithms for pattern recognition and data analysis.

5. How are Riemannian metrics related to other mathematical concepts?

Riemannian metrics are closely related to other concepts in mathematics, such as differential geometry, topology, and calculus of variations. They are used in these fields to study the properties of surfaces and spaces, and they provide powerful tools for solving optimization problems and understanding the behavior of physical systems.