How Do You Prove That sa + tb Divides gcd(a, b) in Bezout's Lemma?

• MHB
  • Thread starter nicodemus1
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about proving Bezout's Lemma and using the well-ordering principle and Euclid's Algorithm to show that sa + tb divides a and b. The main issue is proving that sa + tb divides gcd (a, b). The expert suggests that since gcd (a, b) is the greatest common divisor of a and b, and sa + tb is a common divisor, it must also divide gcd (a, b) according to the definition of gcd.
nicodemus1
Good Day,

I have to prove Bezout's Lemma.

I have proven that since gcd (a, b) divides a and gcd (a, b) divides b, gcd (a, b) divides sa + tb.

I've made use of the well-ordering principle and Euclid's Algorithm to show that sa + tb divides a and sa + tb divides b.

What I can't prove is that sa + tb divides gcd (a, b).

Please help me here.

Thank you.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
nicodemus said:
Good Day,

I have to prove Bezout's Lemma.

I have proven that since gcd (a, b) divides a and gcd (a, b) divides b, gcd (a, b) divides sa + tb.

I've made use of the well-ordering principle and Euclid's Algorithm to show that sa + tb divides a and sa + tb divides b.

What I can't prove is that sa + tb divides gcd (a, b).

Please help me here.

Thank you.

since d = gcd(a,b) is the largest positive integer that divides both a and b,

and d divides sa + tb, d ≤ sa + tb, whence sa + tb = d, since sa + tb divides both a and b.

Good Day,

Thank you for your reply.

However, I still don't get why sa + tb divides gcd(a, b).

Thanks & Regards,
Nicodemus

the "g" in gcd stands for "greatest". the "cd" stands for "common divisor".

since sa + tb is a common divisor of a and b, it cannot be "greater than" the greatest common divisor of a and b, can it?

EVERY number divides it self.

specifically, the DEFINTION of gcd(a,b) is:

d: d|a and d|b and (for all c: if c|a and c|b then c|d).

we have shown that c = sa + tb divides both a and b. therefore c|d.

do you have a different definition of gcd(a,b)?

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out for assistance in proving Bezout's Lemma. It seems like you have already made significant progress in your proof by utilizing the well-ordering principle and Euclid's Algorithm. To prove that sa + tb divides gcd (a, b), you can use the fact that gcd (a, b) is the largest common divisor of a and b. This means that any other common divisor, such as sa + tb, must also divide gcd (a, b). You can use this logic to show that sa + tb divides gcd (a, b) by considering the prime factorization of gcd (a, b) and showing that all its prime factors are also present in sa + tb.

I hope this helps you in completing your proof. Good luck!

FAQ: How Do You Prove That sa + tb Divides gcd(a, b) in Bezout's Lemma?

1. What is Bezout's Lemma?

Bezout's Lemma is a mathematical theorem that states that for any two nonzero integers, there exist two other integers that can be used to express their greatest common divisor (GCD) as a linear combination of the original integers.

2. Why is Bezout's Lemma important?

Bezout's Lemma is important because it provides a fundamental tool for solving problems in number theory and algebra. It can be used to find solutions to Diophantine equations, which are equations with integer coefficients and solutions.

3. How is Bezout's Lemma used in proofs?

In proofs, Bezout's Lemma is often used as a key step in showing that two numbers are relatively prime, meaning that their GCD is equal to 1. It can also be used to prove other theorems in number theory and algebra.

4. What are some real-world applications of Bezout's Lemma?

Bezout's Lemma has applications in cryptography, as it can be used to find the private key in a public key encryption system. It is also used in error-correcting codes and in designing efficient algorithms for solving Diophantine equations in computer science.

5. Are there any limitations to Bezout's Lemma?

Yes, there are some limitations to Bezout's Lemma. It only applies to integers, so it cannot be used for non-integer numbers. Additionally, it only provides one solution to a Diophantine equation, even if there are multiple solutions. It also cannot be used to find the GCD of more than two numbers at a time.

Back