How Do You Solve Complex Force and Tension Problems in Physics?

• Thread starter theresa d
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around seeking help and advice for solving physics problems. The specific problem discusses the distance at which a spacecraft will experience zero net force from the Earth and moon, as well as the acceleration and time it takes for a cat to pull a fishbowl off a table. The conversation also mentions using the Giancoli physics book as a resource.
theresa d
if anyone could give any tips, advice, help, formulas etc., on the solving these problems, i woudl be eternally grateful.

at what distance from the Earth will a spacecraft traveling directly from the Earth to the moon experience zero net force because the Earth and moon pull with equal and opposite forces?

Figaro the cat (5.0 kg) is hanging on the tablecloth, pulling Cleo's fishbowl (11 kg) toward the edge of the table. The coefficeint of kinetic friction between the tablecloth (ignore its mass) under the fishbowl and the table is 0.44. (a) what is the acceleration of Figaro and the fishbowl? (b) if the fishbowl is 0.90m from the edge of the table, how much time does it take for Figaro to pull Cleo off the table?

these are from the Giancoli physics book by the way, if that helps at all...

Physics news on Phys.org
1. Let the mass of the Earth be Me and moon is Mm, distance from Earth is De and from moon is Dm, let the mass of the rocket be M,
Both force are in equilibrium,
(G*M*Me)/(De)^2 = (G*M*Mm)/(Dm)^2
Me/(De)^2 = M*Mm/(Dm)^2
Me/Mm = (De/Dm)^2
Substitute the value or calculate the ratio from it.

FAQ: How Do You Solve Complex Force and Tension Problems in Physics?

1. What is the difference between force and tension?

Force is a push or pull on an object that causes it to accelerate, while tension is a force that is transmitted through a rope, string, or other flexible material.

2. How do I calculate the force or tension in a system?

To calculate the force or tension in a system, you will need to use Newton's second law of motion, which states that force is equal to mass times acceleration. You will also need to take into account any external forces acting on the system.

3. Can you provide an example of a force/tension problem?

Sure! An example of a force/tension problem could be finding the tension in a rope that is attached to a block of mass 10 kg, hanging from a pulley with a mass of 5 kg. The rope is being pulled with a force of 20 N. Using Newton's second law, we can calculate the tension in the rope to be 50 N.

4. How does the angle of a rope or string affect the force or tension?

The angle of a rope or string can affect the force or tension because it changes the direction of the force being applied. The greater the angle, the more the force will be directed horizontally instead of vertically.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving force/tension problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving force/tension problems include not considering all of the forces acting on the system, not using the correct units, and not understanding the difference between mass and weight. It is important to carefully analyze the problem and use the appropriate equations and conversions to find the correct solution.

Back