How does a magnetic force affect the movement of charges and magnets?

In summary, the magnetic force does not do work on freely moving charges, but it does work in a current loop or in a magnet.
Passionate Eng
If magnetic force does not exert work on moving charges, how could a current loop immersed in a magnetic field rotate and how could a magnet attract or repel another one?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the key aspect here is that the magnetic field doesn't do work on *freely moving* charges. That is, at any given point in time, the force exerted on the charge is perfectly perpendicular to the motion (courtesy of the Lorentz force).
In a current loop, or in a magnet, the charges are constrained in their movement. That means, the Lorentz force and the charge's motion is no longer perfectly perpendicular, with the result of work being done.

Mind you, I'm only 95% sure on this. But it seems in line with this site's explanation:

http://van.physics.illinois.edu/QA/listing.php?id=17176

rumborak said:
I think the key aspect here is that the magnetic field doesn't do work on *freely moving* charges. That is, at any given point in time, the force exerted on the charge is perfectly perpendicular to the motion (courtesy of the Lorentz force).
In a current loop, or in a magnet, the charges are constrained in their movement. That means, the Lorentz force and the charge's motion is no longer perfectly perpendicular, with the result of work being done.

Mind you, I'm only 95% sure on this. But it seems in line with this site's explanation:

http://van.physics.illinois.edu/QA/listing.php?id=17176
The Lorentz force is always perpendicular to the motion of the charges. No escape from that. This particular problem where it looks like the magnetic force has done the work, is explained beautifully and in detail in Griffiths, "Introduction to Electrodynamics". As an analogy, Griffiths also points out a similar problem in elementary mechanics.

Well ... care to explain it in this thread? Just pointing to some textbook isn't really educational.

rumborak said:
Well ... care to explain it in this thread? Just pointing to some textbook isn't really educational.
@Chandra Prayaga is referring to this, which pretty much agrees with what you said in #2.

Screenshot_20170213-230126.png

Screenshot_20170213-230454.png

Screenshot_20170213-230255.png

Likes rumborak
Thanks. Example 5.3 from Griffiths is indeed what I was referring to.

Related to How does a magnetic force affect the movement of charges and magnets?

What is work done by magnetic force?

Work done by magnetic force refers to the amount of energy transferred or expended when a magnetic field acts on a moving charge or a current-carrying wire.

How is work done by magnetic force calculated?

The work done by magnetic force is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the magnetic force by the displacement of the object in the direction of the force.

What is the unit of measurement for work done by magnetic force?

The unit of measurement for work done by magnetic force is joules (J).

How does the direction of motion affect the work done by magnetic force?

The direction of motion is perpendicular to the direction of the magnetic force, so the work done is always zero. This is because the magnetic force only acts on charges or currents moving perpendicular to the field.

What is the significance of work done by magnetic force in practical applications?

The work done by magnetic force plays a crucial role in many practical applications, such as motors, generators, and transformers. It is also essential in understanding the behavior and interactions of charged particles in magnetic fields.