How Does a Spider Affect the Angular Speed of a Turntable?

In summary, the turntable and spider experience a collision after the spider falls onto the turntable. The angular speed of the turntable and spider after impact is 33.14 revolutions per minute. When the spider reaches a point 1 cm from the center, the turntable's angular speed is determined by the conservation of angular momentum. It was specified that the spider was moving slowly because the force caused by its movement can be neglected compared to the torque caused by its weight. The conservation of angular momentum and the moment of inertia of a point mass, which is mr2, are used to calculate the angular speed of the turntable and the spider.
Belladonna
A turntable on a frictionless bearing has an initial angular speed of 33 1/3 revolutions per minute. The turntable platter has a mass of 1.0 kg and a radius of 30.0 cm. A spider with a mass of 1.0 gram drops onto the platter at a distance of 29 cm from the center, and begins to walk, very slowly, towards the center. Assumig that the turntable is not being driven, calculate:

a. The angular speed of the turnable and spider a short time after impat, but before the spider begins walking.

b. The angular speed of the turntable when the spider reaches a point 1 cm from the center of the turntable.

c. Explain why we had to specify that the spider was moving slowly. What terms could be neglected if the spider's radial velocity is small?

a. 33.14 revolutions per minute

b.

c. You wouldn't have to take into account the force caused by the movement of the spider, just the force caused by the torque of the spider.

I apologize if this isn't enough, I'm typing this up for my boyfriend while he continues working. He's been doing this stuff for hours so I offered to post it somewhere because he feels unsure of his answers and isn't sure if he's overthinking it or not.

Physics news on Phys.org
The turntable is spinning initially.

The spider then falls onto it.

So a collision in a sense has taken place. Since everything is rotating, momentum is conserved, in particular, angular momentum is conserved i.e. angular momentum before impact = angular momentum after impact.

Also the moment of inertia of a Ipoint mass is mr2

FAQ: How Does a Spider Affect the Angular Speed of a Turntable?

1. What is Angular Speed?

Angular speed is a measure of how quickly an object is rotating, and is defined as the change in angular displacement over time. It is typically measured in radians per second (rad/s) or degrees per second (deg/s).

2. How is Angular Speed related to Linear Speed?

Angular speed and linear speed are related through the equation v = ωr, where v is linear speed, ω is angular speed, and r is the distance from the axis of rotation to the object.

3. What is the difference between Angular Speed and Angular Velocity?

Angular speed and angular velocity both measure the rate of change of angular displacement, but angular velocity also includes the direction of rotation. Angular velocity is a vector quantity, while angular speed is a scalar quantity.

4. How do you calculate Angular Speed?

Angular speed can be calculated by dividing the change in angular displacement by the change in time. It can also be calculated by dividing the angular velocity by the radius of rotation.

5. What are some real-world applications of Angular Speed?

Angular speed is used in many fields, including mechanics, physics, and engineering. Some real-world applications include measuring the speed of rotating machinery, calculating the angular velocity of planets and other celestial bodies, and understanding the motion of objects in rotational motion, such as a spinning top or a gyroscope.

Back