How Does Friction Impact the Distance an Object Travels Up an Inclined Plane?

In summary, the problem involves a 30g object sliding on a 20 degree slope with a kinetic coefficient of .20. The object is launched up the slope from a compressed spring (10 cm) with a spring constant of 25 N/m. The task is to find the total distance the object travels up the slope before reversing direction. The solution involves using equations of energy and taking into account the work done by friction.
djdato

Homework Statement

30g object slides on slope of 20 degrees, with kinetic coefficient of .20. Object is launched up from a spring at bottom of slope, which was compressed by 10 cm. Spring constant = 25 N/m. Find the total distance object travels up slope before reversing direction.

Homework Equations

i don't know where to start with this. I tried equations of energy according to conservation of energy.

The Attempt at a Solution

initial: .5kx^2
final: mgh
therefore mgh=.5kx^2
Then i rearranged for height.
h=(kx^2/2mg)

however, i think this is the wrong thing to do. I havn't even used the friction coefficient.
Please help me get on the right track with this problem.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
The friction force does work on your object as it travels! How much work does it do, and how should you add this work into your energy equation?

Related to How Does Friction Impact the Distance an Object Travels Up an Inclined Plane?

1. What is a spring with inclined plane?

A spring with inclined plane is a simple machine that consists of a spring attached to an inclined plane. The spring can be compressed or stretched by applying force, and the inclined plane allows for the direction of the force to be changed.

2. How does a spring with inclined plane work?

When a force is applied to the spring, it compresses or stretches, storing potential energy. The inclined plane then redirects the force in a different direction, allowing for the transfer of energy to an object. This can be used to lift, lower, or move objects.

3. What are the advantages of using a spring with inclined plane?

One advantage is that it allows for the transfer of energy in a different direction, making it useful for lifting or moving objects. It also requires less force to lift an object compared to using a straight spring, making it a more efficient machine.

4. What are some common uses of a spring with inclined plane?

A spring with inclined plane can be found in many everyday objects, such as staplers, car jacks, and exercise equipment. It is also commonly used in industrial settings for loading and unloading heavy objects.

5. How can the force and displacement of a spring with inclined plane be calculated?

The force and displacement of a spring with inclined plane can be calculated using Hooke's Law, which states that the force applied to a spring is directly proportional to the distance it is stretched or compressed. The formula is F = -kx, where F is the force, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement.