How does gravitational self-interaction affect the Milky Way Galaxy?

KurtLudwig
Gold Member
It is believed that gravity interacts with itself. I assume that gravity between stars increases. Does gravitational self-interaction change the galaxy's shape or increase the rotation curves of stars?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
KurtLudwig said:
It is believed that gravity interacts with itself.
More precisely, the Einstein Field Equation is nonlinear, which can be described as gravity interacting with itself. There is a lot of complexity lurking here; see this Insights article series for more information:

https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/does-gravity-gravitate/

KurtLudwig said:
I assume that gravity between stars increases.
No, gravity interacting with itself is not that simple.

KurtLudwig said:
Does gravitational self-interaction change the galaxy's shape or increase the rotation curves of stars?
The standard viewpoint at present is that any such effect is negligible, because gravity is too weak in this regime for any nonlinear effects to be significant. This is one of the chief reasons why the standard viewpoint postulates dark matter in order to account for galaxy rotation curves.

There is a body of research by Deur, among others, that claims that the above is not the case. This research has been discussed in a number of PF threads. I think it's fair to say that these proposals have not achieved much traction in the wider community, although research along these lines continues.

There is also the MOND viewpoint, which claims, in effect, that GR does not correctly describe the law of gravity for very small "acceleration due to gravity". (Many MOND proponents do not describe their research this way, but that is what it amounts to.)

Likes KurtLudwig, vanhees71, fresh_42 and 2 others
Thank you so much for taking the tine to answer my questions.
I attempted to understand your insights article "does-gravity-gravitate", however I am not at your level. One actually has to study physics at a graduate level and take classes in General Relativity to understand.
Is professor Alexander Deur mathematics correct? As you know, he is a reasearch physicist in particle physics at Jefferson Labs in Virginia.

KurtLudwig said:
Is professor Alexander Deur mathematics correct?
That is an open question. If you search PF for his name you will find multiple threads discussing his work. I am not aware of any other physicist who has confirmed his calculations.

Related to How does gravitational self-interaction affect the Milky Way Galaxy?

What is gravitational self-interaction?

Gravitational self-interaction refers to the phenomenon where the gravitational field generated by a mass distribution influences itself. In the context of the Milky Way Galaxy, this means that the gravitational forces within the galaxy, such as those from stars, dark matter, and interstellar gas, interact with each other, affecting the overall structure and dynamics of the galaxy.

How does gravitational self-interaction influence the shape of the Milky Way Galaxy?

Gravitational self-interaction plays a crucial role in maintaining the spiral structure of the Milky Way. The mutual gravitational attraction between stars and other components causes the formation of spiral arms. These interactions also help in maintaining the galaxy's disk shape and prevent it from collapsing into a more spherical form.

What role does dark matter play in gravitational self-interaction within the Milky Way?

Dark matter significantly contributes to the gravitational self-interaction within the Milky Way. It provides the additional gravitational pull needed to explain the observed rotation curves of the galaxy, which cannot be accounted for by the visible matter alone. Dark matter interactions help stabilize the galaxy and influence its overall mass distribution.

How does gravitational self-interaction affect star formation in the Milky Way?

Gravitational self-interaction affects star formation by influencing the density and distribution of interstellar gas clouds. Regions with higher gravitational interactions can compress gas clouds, leading to the formation of new stars. Conversely, in areas where gravitational forces are weaker, star formation may be less efficient.

Can gravitational self-interaction lead to galactic collisions or mergers?

While gravitational self-interaction primarily affects the internal dynamics of the Milky Way, it also plays a role in galactic interactions. The gravitational attraction between the Milky Way and nearby galaxies, such as the Andromeda Galaxy, can lead to collisions or mergers over long timescales. These interactions are governed by the combined gravitational fields of the galaxies involved.