How Does the Invariance Principle Apply to Limits in Engel's Problem?

In summary, the author is describing a problem where a sequence goes to a limit, and talks about how geometrically two points can approach each other to get to the limit. He then talks about how to actually find the limit, and shows how to do it using limits.
ziggyggiz

Homework Statement

Hi Guys,

This is the first exampe from Engel's problem solving book. After a long period of no math I am self studying. I do not know where my knowledge deficits lie, and was recommended this site for help.

"E1. Starting with a point S (a, b) of the plane with 0 < b < a, we generate a sequence of points (xn, yn) according to the rule x0 = a, y0 = b, xn+1 =(xn + yn) / 2 and yn+1 = (2xnyn) / (xn + yn).

Here it is easy to find an invariant. From (xn+1yn+1) = xnyn, for all n we deduce xnyn = ab for all n. This is the invariant we are looking for. Initially, we have y0 < x0. This relation also remains invariant. Indeed, suppose yn < xn for some n. Then xn+1 is the midpoint of the segment with endpoints yn, xn. Moreover, yn+1 < xn+1 since the harmonic mean is strictly less than the arithmetic mean.

Thus,
0 < xn+1 − yn+1 = [(xn − yn) / (xn + yn)] * [(xn − yn) / 2] < (xn − yn) / 2
for all n. So we have limxn = lim yn = x with x2 = ab or x = √ab.

Here the invariant helped us very much, but its recognition was not yet the
solution, although the completion of the solution was trivial."

The Attempt at a Solution

I cannot figure out the bit in bold at all. It says lim xn = lim yn, but where does this come from? From a cursory look at the definition of a limt, is it simply since |xn+1 - yn+1| < (xn-yn)/2, we find that for all N>n, that xn+1 and yn+1 are limits of each other?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Shouldn't this be in the math section ? I don't see any harmonic motion here....
[EDIT:- I now realize that perhaps you intend those n's and (n+1)'s to be in the subscript, you can easily do that from the post template...]

certainly said:
Shouldn't this be in the math section ? I don't see any harmonic motion here....
[EDIT:- I now realize that perhaps you intend those n's and (n+1)'s to be in the subscript, you can easily do that from the post template...]

I made the changes.

I was not aware this is not harmonic motion question (I assumed the sequence was following a harmonic motion) but I didn't realize there was a precise definition. I will move this to math section.

Quite alright. "To err is to human" eh!
Cheers :)

certainly said:
Quite alright. "To err is to human" eh!
Cheers :)
Thanks

Now, do you know anything about limits?

ziggyggiz said:
0 < xn+1 − yn+1 = [(xn − yn) / (xn + yn)] * [(xn − yn) / 2] < (xn − yn) / 2
Think geometrically. What is feature of the two points ##x_{n+1}## and ##y_{n+1}## is different (or has changed) from the points ##x_n## and ##y_n##
[EDIT:- and what happens to this "feature" if you keep creating these new points ad infinitum ? that is to say what happens "in the limit".]

Xn gets larger while Yn gets smaller to preserve the fact that XnYn =ab right?

Precisely...now if you keep doing this what will happen eventually i.e "what will happen in the limit" ?
[EDIT:- Geometrically speaking you can imagine ##X_n## and ##Y_n## as two points slowly approaching each other from opposite directions on the number line, one gets bigger, the other gets smaller... they keep getting closer to one another after each iteration]

Last edited:
certainly said:
Now, do you know anything about limits?
Not much I am afraid. I know that a sequence goes to a limit if it gets closer and closer as the index goes up

It will get closer and closer to something for the limit to exist, otherwise it would just go to infinity... am I right?
[EDIT:- now think of what that "something" is in the original question. Also see edit to post #9]

certainly said:
Precisely...now if you keep doing this what will happen eventually i.e "what will happen in the limit" ?
[EDIT:- Geometrically speaking you can imagine ##X_n## and ##Y_n## as two points slowly approaching each other from opposite directions on the number line, one gets bigger, the other gets smaller... they keep getting closer to one another after each iteration]

Ah ok! I get it now, they will approach each other due to the invariant nature of their relation ship XnYn=ab. So their limit can be denoted arbitrarily by X. And the limit of their products is then just the product of their limits which implies X2 = ab

Thank you for your help you have helped in my journey; much appreciated!

Well done...you solved it.
Also this was a good intro to limits ;)

Likes ziggyggiz

Related to How Does the Invariance Principle Apply to Limits in Engel's Problem?

1. What is the Invariance Principle in math?

The Invariance Principle is a fundamental concept in math that states the value of a mathematical expression does not change if the expression is transformed or manipulated in a certain way. This allows for the simplification of mathematical problems and the ability to apply mathematical principles to different scenarios.

2. How is the Invariance Principle related to limits?

The Invariance Principle is closely related to limits in math because it allows for the evaluation of limits in a simpler and more efficient manner. By using the Invariance Principle, we can transform complex expressions into simpler ones that are easier to evaluate and can help us determine the limit of a function.

3. What are the different types of invariance in math?

There are three main types of invariance in math: scale invariance, translation invariance, and rotation invariance. Scale invariance refers to the idea that the value of a mathematical expression remains the same even if all the numbers in the expression are multiplied or divided by a constant. Translation invariance means that the value of a mathematical expression does not change if a constant is added or subtracted from all the numbers in the expression. Rotation invariance states that the value of a mathematical expression remains the same even if the numbers in the expression are rearranged or rotated in a specific way.

4. How is the Invariance Principle used in real-life applications?

The Invariance Principle has various applications in different fields, including physics, engineering, and economics. In physics, it is used to describe the fundamental laws of nature, such as the conservation of energy. In engineering, it helps to simplify complex systems and analyze their behavior. In economics, it is used to evaluate the stability and efficiency of economic systems.

5. Can the Invariance Principle be violated?

While the Invariance Principle is a fundamental concept in math, it can be violated in certain situations. This can occur when there are special conditions or constraints that prevent the expression from being transformed or manipulated in a specific way. However, in most cases, the Invariance Principle holds true and is a crucial tool in solving mathematical problems.