How long is an electron transition ?

In summary, an electron transition typically takes 10^-15 seconds, or one femtosecond, and can be affected by factors such as energy difference, electric field strength, and external forces. It can be measured using techniques like ultrafast spectroscopy and can vary depending on the atoms/molecules involved and external factors. It can also be manipulated through external forces or interactions, such as magnetic fields or laser pulses.
owlal85
Hi,
An electron transition generates a frequency emission u=E/h . In this case the electron moves from one energy to another.
My question is how long this transition last for each atom ?
If I was observing a single atom transition what would I measure ? A single burst at a frequency u=E/h ?
If yes, how long is this burst ? How many periods is it lasting .
This has never been clear for me .
Any material will be helpfull .
Thanks .

Physics news on Phys.org
when I was growing up the figure that I always read was 10^-8 sec (i.e. forever)

Related to How long is an electron transition ?

1. How long does an electron transition take?

An electron transition typically takes about 10^-15 seconds, or one femtosecond.

2. What factors affect the duration of an electron transition?

The duration of an electron transition can be affected by the energy difference between the initial and final states, the strength of the electric field, and the presence of any external forces or interactions.

3. Can the duration of an electron transition be measured?

Yes, the duration of an electron transition can be measured using techniques such as ultrafast spectroscopy or pump-probe experiments.

4. Is the duration of an electron transition always the same?

No, the duration of an electron transition can vary depending on the specific atoms or molecules involved, as well as the specific energy levels and external factors present.

5. Can the duration of an electron transition be manipulated?

Yes, the duration of an electron transition can be manipulated through the use of external forces or interactions, such as applying a magnetic field or using laser pulses to excite the electron.

Back