How Long Will It Take for the Entire Chain to Slide Off the Table?

• Thread starter Satvik Pandey
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chain Table
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a chain of uniform density on a table with negligible friction. The length of the chain is 1 m and initially, one-third of the chain hangs over the edge of the table. There is a question about how long it will take for the chain to slide off the table. The conversation includes a proposed solution using conservation of energy and discusses clarifications and corrections to the approach. It also mentions the need for further clarification from the problem writer about whether the entire chain or just a part of it is moving.
Orodruin said:
Looks fine so far.
On integrating I got
##\frac { { s }^{ 2 } }{ 2 } =g\frac { { x }^{ 3 } }{ 3 }##
should I need to worry about constant or it will be included in constant at end of solution.

On substituting the value of s
##{ s }^{ 2 }={ x }^{ 2 }{ \left\{ { \frac { dx }{ dt } } \right\} }^{ 2 }##
##{ x }^{ 2 }{ \left\{ { \frac { dx }{ dt } } \right\} ^{ 2 } }\times \frac { 1 }{ 2 } =\frac { { x }^{ 3 } }{ 3 } g##
##\sqrt { \frac { 3 }{ 2gx } } dx=dt##
##\sqrt { \frac { 3 }{ 2g } } \int { \frac { dx }{ \sqrt { x } } } =\int { dt } \\ ##
##\sqrt { \frac { 3 }{ 2g } } 2\sqrt { x } =t##
Is it correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
You should worry about the integration constant. However, you should be able to use your boundary conditions to fix it right away.

Edit: The more straight-forward approach is to simply note that you are integrating both sides from t=0 to an arbitrary time. Thus, the lower bounds of the integrals (after variable substitution) are ##s(0)=x(0)\dot x(0)## and ##x(0)##, respectively.

Likes Satvik Pandey
Orodruin said:
You should worry about the integration constant. However, you should be able to use your boundary conditions to fix it right away.

Edit: The more straight-forward approach is to simply note that you are integrating both sides from t=0 to an arbitrary time. Thus, the lower bounds of the integrals (after variable substitution) are ##s(0)=x(0)\dot x(0)## and ##x(0)##, respectively.

So the constant of 1st integration should be 0.
Should the limits of LHS be from ##1/3## to ##1##?(for last integration).

The constant on the LHS of the first integration is zero due to ##\dot x(0)=0##. However, ##x(0) = L/3## (note that the solution earlier in this thread simply called it ##x_0##) so the constant on the RHS is non-zero.

Likes Satvik Pandey
Orodruin said:
The constant on the LHS of the first integration is zero due to ##\dot x(0)=0##. However, ##x(0) = L/3## (note that the solution earlier in this thread simply called it ##x_0##) so the constant on the RHS is non-zero.

##{ \\ \sqrt { \frac { 3 }{ 2g } } 2\left\{ { \sqrt { x } }_{ 1/3 }^{ 1 } \right\} }=t##
According to question L=1.
So at ##t=0## ##x=1/3## and at ##t=t## ##x=1##
Is this correct?

No, you still have to put the constant in the first integral, which is
$$
\int_{s(0)}^{s(t)} s\, ds = \int_{0}^{x(t)\dot x(t)} s\, ds = \int_{x(0)}^{x(t)} gx^2\, dx.
$$

Likes Satvik Pandey
Oh!Now I understood that.
##\frac { { s }^{ 2 } }{ 2 } =g\frac { { x }^{ 3 } }{ 3 } +C##
##x(t)=x_{0}## and ##s(t)=0##
##0=g\frac { { x_{0}}^{ 3 } }{ 3 }+C##
or ## C=-g\frac { { x_{0}}^{ 3 } }{ 3 }##
or ##{ x }^{ 2 }{ \left\{ { \frac { dx }{ dt } } \right\} ^{ 2 } }\times \frac { 1 }{ 2 } =\frac { { x }^{ 3 } }{ 3 } g-g\frac { { x_{ 0 } }^{ 3 } }{ 3 } ##

or ##t=\sqrt { \frac { 3 }{ 2g } } \int _{ { x }_{ 0 } }^{ x }{ \frac { xdx }{ \sqrt { { x }^{ 3 }-{ x }_{ 0 }^{ 3 } } } } ##
How to solve this integral?

Last edited:
That integral has no representation in elementary functions, you can only compute its numeric value for a given ##x_0##..

It does have a solution in terms of the hypergeometric function ##{}_2F_1##, but that is of course not an elementary function and you are probably better off just doing the numerical integration. The end result is, as already mentioned, ##t \simeq 0.44\ \rm s##.

Orodruin said:
It does have a solution in terms of the hypergeometric function ##{}_2F_1##, but that is of course not an elementary function and you are probably better off just doing the numerical integration. The end result is, as already mentioned, ##t \simeq 0.44\ \rm s##.
What is numeric integration?

You compute an integral based on an approximative method using a computer. For example, a very basic approach would be the trapezoid method. The reason to use a computer is that it can use very small step sizes without getting bored or making computational errors due to sleeplessness. However, you would have to use a numerical method suitable for the problem. In this case the trapezoid rule would not be very applicable at the lower integration boundary since the integrand diverges there.

Likes Satvik Pandey
Orodruin said:
You compute an integral based on an approximative method using a computer. For example, a very basic approach would be the trapezoid method. The reason to use a computer is that it can use very small step sizes without getting bored or making computational errors due to sleeplessness. However, you would have to use a numerical method suitable for the problem. In this case the trapezoid rule would not be very applicable at the lower integration boundary since the integrand diverges there.
I used the wolfram alpha and also got t=0.44.

Yes, there is a lot of software that will do the numerical integration for you and chose an appropriate method of integration. I did it with Mathematica, which is a Wolfram product as well. But for simpler things such as this, Wolfram alpha is a good resource.

Likes Satvik Pandey
Orodruin said:
Yes, there is a lot of software that will do the numerical integration for you and chose an appropriate method of integration. I did it with Mathematica, which is a Wolfram product as well. But for simpler things such as this, Wolfram alpha is a good resource.
Is there any easy way present to use this change of momentum and force technique to find the answer?

There is no easy way because this problem is complex. Note that the "change of momentum" approach itself is not necessarily "more correct" than the energy approach; more correctly, one would need to model the transition of the chain links from the motion "on the table" (even if this motion is absence of motion) to the motion "beneath the table" without things like infinite acceleration of links.

Likes Satvik Pandey
voko said:
There is no easy way because this problem is complex. Note that the "change of momentum" approach itself is not necessarily "more correct" than the energy approach; more correctly, one would need to model the transition of the chain links from the motion "on the table" (even if this motion is absence of motion) to the motion "beneath the table" without things like infinite acceleration of links.
Thank you voko.:)

Last edited:
Thank you Orodruin,voko,ehild and haruspex for helping me in solving this problem.:)

voko said:
There is no easy way because this problem is complex. Note that the "change of momentum" approach itself is not necessarily "more correct" than the energy approach;
I disagree. If they give different answers then one or both are flawed. I don't see any defect in the momentum argument, but I can see that the work conservation assumption is almost surely wrong.

haruspex said:
I disagree. If they give different answers then one or both are flawed. I don't see any defect in the momentum argument, but I can see that the work conservation assumption is almost surely wrong.
I too have the same doubt.
The answer from energy conservation method is 0.55 and answer from momentum technique is 0.44.Why they are't equal?:confused:

haruspex said:

The defect in the momentum approach is, for example, the assumption that the infinitesimal chain element acquires a finite velocity in infinitesimal time, which means infinite acceleration. The assumption that such an infinitesimal element is possible in a chain may itself be considered a flaw.

Satvik Pandey said:
I too have the same doubt.
The answer from energy conservation method is 0.55 and answer from momentum technique is 0.44.Why they are't equal?:confused:
Remember, you got 0.55 s from energy conservation assuming that the whole chain moves with the same speed.
With the assumption, that only the vertical part moves, the result is 0.44 s.

ehild

voko said:
The defect in the momentum approach is, for example, the assumption that the infinitesimal chain element acquires a finite velocity in infinitesimal time, which means infinite acceleration. The assumption that such an infinitesimal element is possible in a chain may itself be considered a flaw.
I don't believe it makes that assumption.

ehild said:
Remember, you got 0.55 s from energy conservation assuming that the whole chain moves with the same speed.
With the assumption, that only the vertical part moves, the result is 0.44 s.

ehild
Sure, but applying work conservation to the bunched chain case produces a rather different equation from that based on momentum conservation.

haruspex said:
Sure, but applying work conservation to the bunched chain case produces a rather different equation from that based on momentum conservation.

I got 0.40 s for the energy conserving approach for the bunched chain. Although I did it quite hastily so there may be errors, but this is similar to what I would expect (loss of work should result in the chain moving slower).

Attachments

• foldedchain.JPG
    foldedchain.JPG
    4 KB · Views: 406
Last edited:
Likes Satvik Pandey
haruspex said:
I don't believe it makes that assumption.

How do you interpret the term ## (dm) v ##?

Another interesting assumption in this approach is that the only acting force is that of gravity; specifically, no tension is assumed at the top of the chain column.

Do you mean the differential equation ##\frac{d^2x(t)}{dt^2}=\frac{g}{L}x(t)##?
It is a very simple second order linear de with constant coefficients, a homogeneous one. You will learn about them soon.
Try the solutions in the form x=ekt. You get a quadratic equation for k, with two roots, k1 and k2. The general solution of the de is the linear combination of the two solutions, belonging to k1 and k2. X=c1 ek1 t+c2 ek2t.

ehild

voko said:
ok, that was a bit glib. But it does not assume a nonzero mass undergoes an infinite acceleration. It is only infinite in the limit as dt tends to zero, and dm is also zero in that limit.
The key assumption is that the motion is homogeneous, for the part that is moving. If you want a work conseving version then that assumption must be dropped. This makes the problem far more complex, opening up the possibility of longitudinal oscilations. Thus it may be that even if work is completely conserved, the time taken is greater than the 'simple' calculation suggests.

voko said:
You can interpret it as an inelastic collision between the moving part and a link at the edge of the table still in rest. That link "sticks" to the moving part and they move together, with a bit less speed. Energy is not conserved.

ehild

That is the equation that can be obtained as indicated by Orodruin in #35. So its solution is known.
haruspex said:
But it does not assume a nonzero mass undergoes an infinite acceleration. It is only infinite in the limit as dt tends to zero, and dm is also zero in that limit.

That still sounds like an infinite acceleration to me. But, as I said earlier, taking care of this and other nuances moves the problem into a different league.

ehild said:
Do you mean the differential equation ##\frac{d^2x(t)}{dt^2}=\frac{g}{L}x(t)##?
It is a very simple second order linear de with constant coefficients, a homogeneous one. You will learn about them soon.
Try the solutions in the form x=ekt. You get a quadratic equation for k, with two roots, k1 and k2. The general solution of the de is the linear combination of the two solutions, belonging to k1 and k2. X=c1 ek1 t+c2 ek2t.

ehild
Thank you ehild. You really help me a lot! :) I am just a beginner in calculus.
I looked for the solution of second differential equation in senior secondary school mathematics book but I didn't found it. It only contain the solution of linear differential equation. I think I will learn about them later.:rolleyes:
But I will try to learn about it through internet.:w

Satvik Pandey said:
I looked for the solution of second differential equation in senior secondary school mathematics book but I didn't found it. It only contain the solution of linear differential equation. I think I will learn about them later.:rolleyes:
But I will try to learn about it through internet.:w
Do not run. Wait till you learn about them in school.

ehild

ehild said:
Do not run. Wait till you learn about them in school.

ehild

Thanks ehild. I will follow your advice.:)

I know that you won't. :D

ehild