How long would a Hohmann transfer take to travel from Earth to asteroid#1?

• Thread starter itr
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a question about the time it would take for a Hohmann transfer orbit to travel from Earth to two specific asteroids in the ecliptic plane. The question also mentions the distance of the asteroids from Earth and the fact that 1 AU is equal to 9.296x10^7 miles. The expert suggests referring to a Wikipedia page for more information on Hohmann transfer orbits and asks for clarification on the nature of the trajectory. They also mention the need for other constants to solve the problem.
itr

Homework Statement

You plan to visit the asteroid#1 (2.36 AU) and then asteriod#2 (2.77 AU). Assuming both asteroids are in the ecliptic plane, how much time(in years) would it take by hohmann transfer orbit to travel from Earth to asteroid#1 on the first leg of your mission?

Homework Equations

I am not sure of the equations that would be needed for this type of equation.
1AU=9.296x10^7 miles

The Attempt at a Solution

1AU=9.296x10^7 miles
Asteriod#1 is 2.194x10^8 miles away from earth.
This is all the information i have. I feel like i am short information...but i might not be...idk

Physics news on Phys.org
None of those help me with a time factor though...

is there a time substitute in here somewhere? do i compare au to a light year and go from there?

What time factor?

What is the nature of trajectory from Earth to the asteroid?

the question asks how long will it take for this hohmann transferto take...which is the jump from the Earth's orbit to the asteroid

You missed the second question. What is the nature of the trajectory from the Earth to the asteroid? What does the fact that this is a Hohmann transfer imply with regard to this trajectory?

You will need some other information to solve this problem. There are some constants, most likely spelled out in your text, that you will need.

Related to How long would a Hohmann transfer take to travel from Earth to asteroid#1?

What is a Hohmann transfer?

A Hohmann transfer is a spaceflight maneuver used to transfer a spacecraft from one circular orbit to another using the least amount of propellant. It involves two engine burns, one to raise the spacecraft's orbit and one to lower it into the desired orbit.

What is the Hohmann transfer orbit?

The Hohmann transfer orbit is an elliptical orbit that connects the initial and final circular orbits of a spacecraft. It is the most efficient path to transfer between two circular orbits and is named after German scientist Walter Hohmann who first described it in 1925.

What are the advantages of using a Hohmann transfer?

The main advantage of using a Hohmann transfer is that it requires the least amount of propellant compared to other transfer methods. This makes it more cost-effective and feasible for space missions. Additionally, it is a well-understood and reliable maneuver that has been used in many successful space missions.

What factors affect a Hohmann transfer?

The main factors that affect a Hohmann transfer are the mass of the spacecraft, the distance between the initial and final orbits, and the specific impulse of the spacecraft's engines. A larger mass or greater distance will require more propellant, while a higher specific impulse will require less propellant.

What are some real-world applications of the Hohmann transfer?

The Hohmann transfer has been used in numerous space missions, including interplanetary missions such as the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter and the New Horizons mission to Pluto. It is also commonly used for satellite launches and space station rendezvous. The principles of the Hohmann transfer are also used in other orbital maneuvers, such as the bi-elliptic transfer and the gravity assist maneuver.

Back