How many balls can fit into a jar

• MHB
  • Thread starter hatelove
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Balls Fit
In summary, the jar with a radius of 6" and a height of 24" can hold approximately 648 balls with a radius of 1". However, this calculation does not take into account the spaces between the balls when placed in the jar. The maximum packing fraction that can be achieved with regular packing and no boundary effects is ~74%, and the random close packing packing fraction is ~63%.
hatelove
The jar has a radius of 6" and a height of 24" and each ball has a radius of 1".

So I found the volume of the jar which is [tex]\pi6^{2}(24) = \approx 2,714.33605[/tex] and the volume of the balls which is [tex]\frac{4}{3}\pi1^{3} = \approx 4.1887902[/tex]

And then I divided how many of the balls can go into the jar by dividing:

[tex]2714.33605 \div 4.1887902 = 648 balls[/tex]

Does that number take into account the spaces between the balls when put into the jar? Like the small gaps when spheres are placed next to each other.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
daigo said:
The jar has a radius of 6" and a height of 24" and each ball has a radius of 1".

So I found the volume of the jar which is [tex]\pi6^{2}(24) = \approx 2,714.33605[/tex] and the volume of the balls which is [tex]\frac{4}{3}\pi1^{3} = \approx 4.1887902[/tex]

Does that number take into account the spaces between the balls when put into the jar? Like the small gaps when spheres are placed next to each other.

No, the maximum packing fraction that can be achieved with regular packing and no boundary effects is ~74%, and the random close packing packing fraction is ~63%.

See: >>here<< and >>here<<

CB

Hello, daigo!

How many balls can fit into the jar?

So I found the volume of the jar which is: [tex]\pi6^{2}(24) = \approx 2,714.33605[/tex]
and the volume of the balls which is: [tex]\frac{4}{3}\pi1^{3} = \approx 4.1887902[/tex]

. . ][tex]2714.33605 \div 4.1887902 = 648\:balls[/tex]

Does that number take into account the spaces between the balls when put into the jar? . . . . no
Like the small gaps when spheres are placed next to each other.

First of all, I'd do your math like this:

Volume of jar: [tex]\pi(6^2)(24) \:=\:864\pi[/tex]

Volume of ball: [tex]\tfrac{4}{3}\pi(1^3)\:=\:\tfrac{4}{3}\pi[/tex]

Therefore: .[tex]864\pi \div \tfrac{4}{3}\pi \:=\:648\text{ balls}[/tex]

You see, I hate long (and incomplete) decimals.
. . I hate writing them down, I hate entering them on my calculator.
I would do anything (even Algebra) to avoid that.Second,you have melted the 648 balls into a puddle.
. . Then you poured the liquid into the jar.

daigo said:

If the ratio of the dimensions of the jar compared to the dimensions of the diameter of the ball were large (it is not in this case), then the answer to the question of how many balls of 1 " radius could you put inside a jar of radius 6 " and a height of 24 " would be 648 times a "density constant" of about 0.5, or, 648 * 0.5 = 324. Let's call it 330 plus/minus 10. The larger the jar (and/or the smaller the marble), the higher the "density constant" would be. If you were figuring how many 5/8" diameter marbles (2 cc each) would go into a 1 gallon jar (3785 cc's), for example, the calculations would be:

3785/2*0.6 = 1324.75

or about 1330 plus/minus 10 marbles. The "density constant" here is 0.6. If you have a VERY LARGE container with VERY SMALL marbles, the density constant would be a maximum of 0.74.

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/advanced-or-simple-balls-in-a-jar-probability.817893/

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to How many balls can fit into a jar

1. How do you determine the maximum number of balls that can fit into a jar?

The maximum number of balls that can fit into a jar depends on the size of the jar and the size of the balls. To determine the maximum number, you can use a mathematical formula such as the volume of a sphere or conduct experiments by filling the jar with balls until it is full.

2. Can you estimate the number of balls that can fit into a jar without actually filling it?

Yes, you can estimate the number of balls that can fit into a jar by using a mathematical formula. However, the actual number may vary depending on the shape and size of the jar and the balls, so it may not be an accurate estimate.

3. Does the shape of the jar affect the number of balls that can fit inside?

Yes, the shape of the jar can affect the number of balls that can fit inside. A jar with a wider opening and a larger base can hold more balls compared to a jar with a narrow opening and a smaller base. The shape of the balls can also impact the number of balls that can fit into a jar.

4. What factors can affect the maximum capacity of a jar?

The maximum capacity of a jar can be affected by several factors such as the size and shape of the jar, the size and shape of the balls, and the arrangement of the balls inside the jar. Other factors that can affect the capacity include air pockets between the balls, the weight of the balls, and the material of the jar.

5. Is there a limit to the number of balls that can fit into a jar?

Yes, there is a limit to the number of balls that can fit into a jar. The limit is determined by the physical properties of the jar and the balls, such as their volume, density, and arrangement. It is also affected by external factors such as gravity and compression.