How many electrons does the atom have?

In summary, the question is asking for the number of electrons in a neutral atom with a positive charge of 2.4 x 10^-12 C. By understanding that a neutral atom has equal numbers of electrons and protons, and using the equation q=Ne, the answer is 1.5 x 10^7 electrons. However, it is important to note that this number is not meaningful without knowing which specific element the atom belongs to.
pandamonium786

Homework Statement

A neutral atom is known to have a nucleus with a positive charge of 2.4 x10-12 C. How many electrons does the atom have?

Homework Equations

q=Ne

The Attempt at a Solution

None

Physics news on Phys.org
Greg Bernhardt said:
What have you tried? Where are you stuck?

I tried finding out the amount of protons by multiplying 2.4 x 10^ -12 C by the amount of electrons in a coulomb 6.25 x 10^18. But then I got confused. So I would like to know how to get the answer and why that is the answer. Also I know the solution but not how to get there, the solution is 1.5 x107 electrons

What does it mean that the atom is neutral?Let's start there.
Also,in case you aren't aware,the charge of the electron(e) is a given.

Likes pandamonium786
LittleMrsMonkey said:
What does it mean that the atom is neutral?Let's start there.
Also,in case you aren't aware,the charge of the electron(e) is a given.

That means the electrons and protons balance each other out. Or in other words the whole atom has a neutral charge.

What information about the electrons can you gain from what you just said?

Likes pandamonium786
LittleMrsMonkey said:
What information about the electrons can you gain from what you just said?

That the electrons and protons will be equal in amount or charge?

Great!Can you calculate the number of electrons now?

Likes pandamonium786
pandamonium786 said:

Homework Statement

A neutral atom is known to have a nucleus with a positive charge of 2.4 x10-12 C. How many electrons does the atom have?

Homework Equations

q=Ne

The Attempt at a Solution

None
Are you sure the positive charge is 2.4×10-12 Coulombs? That's a lotta protons for one atom!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proton

1.5 x 10^7 electrons. Thank you so much I get it now. :D

Likes Greg Bernhardt
pandamonium786 said:
1.5 x 10^7 electrons. Thank you so much I get it now. :D
You've just calculated a meaningless number. Which atom has 15 million electrons orbiting the nucleus?

Hint: the natural elements have from 1 to 92 electrons per atom.

Well that's true,but I guess what matters is he understood how to get there.

Does the original problem statement maybe have a "μ" preceding the "C"? As in "micro-coulomb?"

LittleMrsMonkey said:
Well that's true,but I guess what matters is he understood how to get there.
Yeah, but the physics student should be aware of when he is calculating a reasonable result and when he is calculating nonsense. :wink:

Likes LittleMrsMonkey

Related to How many electrons does the atom have?

1. How many electrons are in an atom?

The number of electrons in an atom depends on its atomic number, which is equal to the number of protons in its nucleus. This means that for neutral atoms, the number of electrons is also equal to the number of protons.

2. How do you determine the number of electrons in an atom?

The atomic number of an element can be found on the periodic table. This number indicates the number of protons and electrons in an atom of that element. For example, carbon has an atomic number of 6, so it has 6 electrons.

3. Can an atom have a different number of electrons than its atomic number?

No, the number of electrons is always equal to the atomic number for neutral atoms. However, atoms can gain or lose electrons to form ions, which will change the number of electrons.

4. Do all atoms have the same number of electrons?

No, the number of electrons can vary among different elements. For example, hydrogen has 1 electron, while oxygen has 8 electrons. Additionally, isotopes of the same element may have a different number of electrons due to a different number of neutrons in the nucleus.

5. Can an atom have more than 8 electrons?

Yes, atoms in the third period or higher on the periodic table can have more than 8 electrons in their outermost energy level, also known as the valence shell. These atoms are able to hold more than 8 electrons due to the presence of d-orbitals in higher energy levels.