How Many Moles of Electrons Weigh 1 kg?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the number of moles of electrons that weigh 1 kg. The solution involves dividing the mass of an electron by 6*10^23, but the question of whether or not to convert the mass into grams is raised. The expert confirms that converting to grams is not necessary since the mass of an electron is already expressed in kg. The expert also reminds the speaker to include units in future calculations.
takando12

Homework Statement

How many moles of electrons weigh 1 kg?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

We know the mass of an electron= 9.1*10-31kg. So no of electrons in one Kg will be 1/9.1*10-31. Then we just divide that by 6* 1023 to get the number of moles. But my teacher told me that i need to first convert the mass into grams for the calculations. Does it matter in this case since we're dealing with electrons?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
As the mass of electron is already expressed in kg, there is no need to convert it and your approach is perfectly correct. However in future please don't omit units - I had to check 9.1×10-31 is a mass of an electron expressed in kg to be sure you are right.

Likes mooncrater and takando12
Borek said:
As the mass of electron is already expressed in kg, there is no need to convert it and your approach is perfectly correct. However in future please don't omit units - I had to check 9.1×10-31 is a mass of an electron expressed in kg to be sure you are right.
sorry about that. And thank you sir.

Related to How Many Moles of Electrons Weigh 1 kg?

1. How many electrons are in 1 kg?

The number of electrons in 1 kg varies depending on the substance. However, in general, 1 kg of any substance will contain approximately 6.02 x 10^23 electrons, which is known as Avogadro's number.

2. What is the mass of 1 mole of electrons?

The mass of 1 mole of electrons is approximately 5.48579909070 × 10^-4 kilograms. This value is derived from the atomic mass of an electron, which is 9.1093837015 × 10^-31 kilograms.

3. How many moles of electrons are in 1 kg?

To determine the number of moles of electrons in 1 kg, we first need to know the mass of 1 mole of electrons, which is approximately 5.48579909070 × 10^-4 kilograms. We can then divide 1 kg by this value to get approximately 1.82 x 10^3 moles of electrons.

4. Can we physically see 1 mole of electrons?

No, we cannot physically see 1 mole of electrons. While 1 mole of electrons would have a mass of approximately 5.48579909070 × 10^-4 kilograms, they are still too small to be seen with the naked eye. They can only be observed using specialized equipment, such as an electron microscope.

5. How does the weight of 1 mole of electrons compare to other substances?

The weight of 1 mole of electrons is significantly less than 1 mole of most other substances. For example, 1 mole of water has a mass of approximately 18 grams, while 1 mole of carbon has a mass of approximately 12 grams. This is because electrons have a much smaller atomic mass compared to other elements.