How Many Photons Does a Laser Emit in a Single Pulse?

• MHB
  • Thread starter yakin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Photons
In summary, a laser emits a brief pulse of light with a wavelength of 463 nm and a total energy of 1.2 J. Using the equation E = h\nu = \dfrac{hc}{\lambda}, we can calculate the number of photons emitted in the pulse by dividing the total energy by the energy of an individual photon. The duration of the pulse (25 ms) is not relevant to the calculation. The speed of light is actually 3*10^8 m/s, not 3.8 m/s as previously stated. The number of photons emitted may not be an integer, as it depends on the mean wavelength of the photons.
yakin
A laser emits light of wavelength 463 nm during a brief pulse that lasts for 25 ms and has a total energy of 1.2 J. How many photons are emitted in that single pulse? (c=3.00E8 m/s, h=6.626E-34 j.s)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You asked essentially the same question here less than 2 weeks ago.
http://mathhelpboards.com/other-topics-22/physics-84-kw-am-radio-station-broadcasts-1000-khz-how-many-photons-emitted-each-second-10382.html?highlight=radio

yakin said:
A laser emits light of wavelength 463 nm during a brief pulse that lasts for 25 ms and has a total energy of 1.2 J. How many photons are emitted in that single pulse? (c=3.00E8 m/s, h=6.626E-34 j.s)

The trick here is knowing that the energy of an individual photon is given by \(\displaystyle E = h\nu = \dfrac{hc}{\lambda}\)

You can then divide 1.2 by your answer to get the number of photons. The 25ms (unless I'm missing something) is a red herring

Energy of a photon of light
E = hf = hc/l
where
E = energy of radiation (J)
h = Planck's constant = 6.626*10^(-34) J.s.
f = frequency of radiation (Hz)
c = speed of light = 3.8 m/s
l = (lambda) wavelength of radiation (m)

You need to convert all your data to the units above or at least have the same units all the way through. Such as f = 1/t or the inverse of period. The period is given as 25 ms which you need to convert to metres first and then take the inverse of, to get the frequency.
Hope this helps

sweer6 said:
Energy of a photon of light
E = hf = hc/l
where
E = energy of radiation (J)
h = Planck's constant = 6.626*10^(-34) J.s.
f = frequency of radiation (Hz)
l = (lambda) wavelength of radiation (m)

You need to convert all your data to the units above or at least have the same units all the way through. Such as f = 1/t or the inverse of period. The period is given as 25 ms which you need to convert to metres first and then take the inverse of, to get the frequency.
Hope this helps

The wavelength \(\displaystyle \lambda\) is given explicitly in the question as 463nm, so the period is not 25 ms which is the duration of the pulse and irrelevant to the question as asked.

Last edited:
zzephod said:
The wavelength \(\displaystyle \lambda\) is given explicitly in the question as 463nm, so the period is not 25 ms which is the duration of the pulse and irrelevant to the quation as asked.

ok, let me get this straight first, what does 25 ms mean? What unit is it measured in?

Last edited:
sweer6 said:
ok, let me get this straight first, what does 25 ms mean? What unit is it measured in?

milli-seconds

sweer6 said:

Hmm, a photon has the same speed as a bicyclist?

I like Serena said:

yeah, yeah, i made a mistake, lol , the speed of light is 3*10^8 m/s

I like Serena said:

Well, if that bicyclist is "The Flash", sure.

yakin said:

The question is interesting because it reminds me of when I worked on digital transmission in optical fiber. If an optical pulse of power E is composed of N photons each of wavelength $\displaystyle \lambda_{i}= \frac{c}{\nu_{i}}$ then is...

$\displaystyle E = h\ \sum_{i=1}^{N} \frac{c}{\lambda_{i}}\ (1)$

We have to use (1) because in the famous Plank's expression $\displaystyle \varepsilon = h\ \nu$ h is a constant but $\nu$ is a continouos random variable and the same is for $\lambda$. In other words that means that in nature there are no two-photon equal and if You in (1) know the value of E, h, c, and the mean value $\displaystyle \overline \lambda$ of the photons, the N must be considered as a random variable and what You can obtain is its mean value $\overline N$ which is not necessarly an integer. Thi non coventional approach allowed me to solve in very comfortable way the problem of a time spreading of an optical pulse along an optical fibre due to chromatic dispersion...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Related to How Many Photons Does a Laser Emit in a Single Pulse?

1. What is the definition of a photon?

A photon is the fundamental unit of light and all other forms of electromagnetic radiation. It is a type of elementary particle that carries energy and has zero mass and no electric charge.

2. How do you calculate the number of photons in a given light source?

The number of photons can be calculated using the formula: N = E/hf, where N is the number of photons, E is the energy of the light source, h is Planck's constant, and f is the frequency of the light.

3. Can the number of photons in a light source be measured?

Yes, the number of photons in a light source can be measured using specialized instruments such as a photometer or a spectrometer. These instruments can detect and measure the intensity of light, which can be used to calculate the number of photons present.

4. How does the wavelength of light affect the number of photons?

The wavelength of light is inversely proportional to the number of photons present. This means that as the wavelength increases, the number of photons decreases and vice versa. This relationship is described by the formula: N = E/hc, where c is the speed of light.

5. Can the number of photons in a light source change?

Yes, the number of photons in a light source can change. It can either increase or decrease depending on the intensity of the light source. For example, if the intensity of a light source is increased, the number of photons will also increase.