How much force can a truck seat back cushion absorb during a collision?

MantisShrimp
I do not know much about this, please help.
My truck seat back cushion is 2" thick. Truck A is ~5,700 lbs from google. 2011 f-150 super cab 6.5ft bed.
Truck B is ~5775. 2015 GMC Yukon xl slt.
If truck A is stopped and braked and truck B hits truck A going 45-55mph creating a force of 52,695.8758604 N- 64,406.07049606 N or 11,846.503133255 lbf -14,479.059385089lbf.
I am not sure what density the foam is but how much does it take away in force? I hope this makes sense. I will do my best to answer any questions.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I am afraid we cannot answer questions that look like a real-life accident. This has several reasons:
  • We do not have all the information.
  • We are not certified in any way and our comments would be of no legal value.
  • We cannot even verify the data.
  • It is impossible to provide a necessary description on the internet.
If you want a reliable comment then please contact a local certified expert who can directly inspect the situation.

This thread will be closed.

Related to How much force can a truck seat back cushion absorb during a collision?

How much force can a truck seat back cushion absorb during a collision?

The force that a truck seat back cushion can absorb during a collision depends on various factors such as the materials used, the design of the seat, and the speed of the collision. Typically, modern truck seats are designed to absorb significant impact forces to protect the occupant, but specific values can vary widely. Some seats are tested to withstand forces up to several thousand pounds.

What materials are used in truck seat back cushions to absorb impact forces?

Truck seat back cushions are often made from a combination of materials designed to absorb and dissipate energy. Common materials include high-density foam, memory foam, and sometimes gel inserts. Additionally, advanced materials like energy-absorbing polymers and reinforced textiles may be used for enhanced protection.

Are there regulations or standards for the impact absorption of truck seat back cushions?

Yes, there are several regulations and standards that govern the impact absorption capabilities of truck seat back cushions. In the United States, the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS) set requirements for seat strength and energy absorption. Similar regulations exist in other countries, ensuring that seats meet minimum safety criteria to protect occupants during collisions.

How do manufacturers test the impact absorption of truck seat back cushions?

Manufacturers typically conduct a series of tests to evaluate the impact absorption capabilities of truck seat back cushions. These tests may include crash simulations, drop tests, and material stress tests. Advanced computer modeling and crash test dummies are also used to assess how well the seat cushions protect occupants in various collision scenarios.

Can aftermarket seat cushions improve the impact absorption of truck seats?

Aftermarket seat cushions can potentially improve the impact absorption of truck seats, but it's important to choose products that are specifically designed for safety and have been tested to meet relevant standards. Some aftermarket cushions may offer additional comfort but might not necessarily enhance safety. Always verify the safety claims and certifications of any aftermarket products before use.

Back