How to Calculate the Maximum Speed of a Hydraulic Pump?

In summary: So if you had a pump outputting 3000 RPM and the working fluid had a compressibility of 10%, the output would be 30 seconds after the input.
robhlee
About those hydraulic devices that are used for lifting cars and such; how can you calculate the maximum speed at which those will operate?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I've never seen that mentioned anywhere, but it must be based upon how much volume the system can flow per second. That probably comes down to what the regulator and valve are rated at.

I think the focus of the issue is the hydraulic fluid; I just want to know an approximation of how the fluid would move (i'm just talking about some noncompressible oil; would it differ a lot between types of oils?). Would a hydraulic system be able to work instantaneously/ rapidly in response to some force? Do all hydraulic machines work very slowly or what?

Just to clarify, the system i am referring to is just your simple textbook model on hydraulics and forces applied. Two platforms of varying surface areas connected by a tube of hydraulic fluid.

Last edited:
All fluids will act the same way as far as compressibility goes. The differences between them stem from such things as operating temperature range, reactivity with materials such as seals, and other chemical properties. You could run a bulldozer on water if you had to.
The limit to reaction time is partly a matter of inertia of the involved mechanical components vs. the power of the pump, but is ultimately restricted to the speed of sound in the fluid. It can never be 'instantaneous'.
Others here such as Brewnog and Fred know far more about it, though.

edit: I'm not sure, but you might have better luck if you ask to have this moved to the Engineering section.

Last edited:
The speed of the actuation is going to be a function of the flow rate of the main hydraulic pump in the system (assuming other technicalities are avoided). We could get into a real discussion of valve and hydraulic system components that would regulate that flow rate though.

In the very simple layout that you mention, the effect of input would be immediately felt as output on the other side. In reality, there may be a slight delay due to a very small amount of compressibility in the working fluid. A typical hydraulic fluid has, on the order of 1% compressibility over a very wide range of temperatures IIRC.

Related to How to Calculate the Maximum Speed of a Hydraulic Pump?

1. How do you calculate hydraulic pump speed?

The formula for calculating hydraulic pump speed is: speed = (flow rate x 231) / displacement, where flow rate is measured in gallons per minute (gpm) and displacement is measured in cubic inches per revolution (in3/rev).

2. What is the unit of measurement for hydraulic pump speed?

The unit of measurement for hydraulic pump speed is revolutions per minute (rpm).

3. Can hydraulic pump speed be changed?

Yes, hydraulic pump speed can be changed by adjusting the flow rate or displacement of the pump.

4. How does the speed of a hydraulic pump affect its performance?

The speed of a hydraulic pump directly affects its flow rate and pressure output. A higher speed will result in a higher flow rate and pressure output, while a lower speed will result in a lower flow rate and pressure output.

5. What factors can affect the calculated hydraulic pump speed?

The calculated hydraulic pump speed can be affected by factors such as temperature, fluid viscosity, and system pressure. It is important to consider these factors when calculating pump speed for accurate results.