How to calculate the pressure in a sealed vessel with water.

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty in finding an equation to determine the resultant pressure from heating water in a sealed metal container, as most equations only apply to gases. The individual needs to find the appropriate relief valve for their setup and is wondering how to calculate the pressure. They also question whether the amount of water and size of the container affect the pressure, and the expert clarifies that steam will reach an equilibrium between water and saturated steam as long as the pressure is greater than that provided by the air. Overall, the conversation centers around the calculation and understanding of pressure in a sealed container heated with water.
Mr Matt222
Hi,

I cannot find any equation to help determine the resultant pressure from heating water in a sealed metal container, all I find is PV-nRt which is only gas - We are heating doing this in part to pretreat biomass. sealed tube: vol =170cc containing 80ml.s water: tube heated to 180C. I need to find appropriate relief valve.

How do I determine pressure?

Please show calculations

I assume it does not matter how much water is in the tube, the "gas" part of the tube has no influence on the specific pressure generated by heat/water (?)

Thanks so much!

M

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

There is no calculation to do here: just look it up on a steam table.

I was thinking the pressure has to do with temp and the vol of the cylinder -

If I heat up to 150C, a 200cc sealed container containing 100 MLs water, the pressure would be different if I heat up to 150C, 100 mls. of water in a 500 cc container... is this not correct? - if I continue to increase the size of the container, will not the pressure decrease?

but actually in my case, not all the water has converted to steam -

No, it is not correct. Steam has a certain vapor pressure at a given temperature, so a volume of water will boil until that pressure is reached.

As long as that pressure is greater than that provided by the air and not all the water boils, it will reach an equilibrium between water and saturated steam.

What you describe is not fundamentaly different from the operation of a steam heating system.

Last edited:

Hi M,

Calculating the pressure in a sealed vessel with water involves using the ideal gas law, which is the equation you mentioned (PV=nRT). However, this equation can also be applied to liquids, as long as we take into account the density of the liquid.

First, we need to gather some information about the system. In this case, we know the volume of the sealed tube (170cc) and the temperature it will be heated to (180C). We also need to know the number of moles of water present, which can be calculated using the mass of water (80ml) and its molar mass (18.02 g/mol).

Next, we need to convert the temperature from Celsius to Kelvin (180C + 273 = 453K) and the volume from cc to m^3 (170cc = 0.00017 m^3).

Now, we can plug these values into the ideal gas law equation:

PV = nRT

P(0.00017 m^3) = (80 g / 18.02 g/mol)(8.314 J/mol*K)(453 K)

P = (80 g / 18.02 g/mol)(8.314 J/mol*K)(453 K) / 0.00017 m^3

P = 7,360,620 Pa

Therefore, the pressure in the sealed vessel with water at 180C is approximately 7,360,620 Pa.

It is important to note that the amount of water does affect the pressure, as the volume of the liquid will change with temperature. Additionally, the pressure will continue to increase as the temperature increases, so it is important to have an appropriate relief valve in place to prevent the vessel from bursting.

I hope this helps and please feel free to ask any further questions.

Best,

FAQ: How to calculate the pressure in a sealed vessel with water.

1. How do I calculate the pressure in a sealed vessel with water?

To calculate the pressure in a sealed vessel with water, you will need to know the volume and temperature of the water, as well as the atmospheric pressure. You can use the formula P = ρgh, where P is pressure, ρ is the density of water, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the water column. You can also use the ideal gas law, PV = nRT, where P is pressure, V is volume, n is the number of moles of gas, R is the gas constant, and T is temperature in Kelvin.

2. What is the density of water?

The density of water varies depending on the temperature, but at room temperature (25°C), the density of water is approximately 1000 kg/m3 or 1 g/cm3.

3. How does the volume of the vessel affect the pressure?

The volume of the vessel does not directly affect the pressure, but it can indirectly affect it by changing the height of the water column. As the volume of the vessel increases, the height of the water column decreases, resulting in a lower pressure.

4. What is atmospheric pressure?

Atmospheric pressure is the pressure exerted by the weight of the Earth's atmosphere on a unit area of the Earth's surface. It is typically around 101.3 kPa or 14.7 psi at sea level.

5. How does temperature affect the pressure in a sealed vessel with water?

Temperature does not have a direct effect on the pressure in a sealed vessel with water. However, as the temperature increases, the density of water decreases, resulting in a lower pressure. Additionally, using the ideal gas law, an increase in temperature will cause an increase in pressure if the volume and number of moles of gas remain constant.