How to construct a vector orthogonal to all but one?

In summary, the conversation discusses ways to construct a vector that is orthogonal to a set of linearly independent vectors in Rn. One option is to use the Gram-Schmidt process, which involves subtracting the projection of the next vector on the remaining part of the original vector. Another approach is to solve n-1 equations, setting the dot product of the new vector with v1 to be non-zero and all other dot products to be zero. It is noted that both methods do not necessarily result in orthogonalizing the entire set of vectors. There is also a question about the existence of a neat expression for such a vector.
td21
Gold Member
Given n linearly independent vectors, v1, v2, v3, ...vn.
How to find construct a vector that is orthogonal to v2, v3, ..., vn (all v but not v1)?
Is Gram Schmitt process the way to do this? or just by brute force?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I take it this is in Rn ? Then: yes !
Gram Schidt is brute force as far as I am concerned.

BvU said:
I take it this is in Rn ? Then: yes !
Gram Schidt is brute force as far as I am concerned.
Thanks for the reply. But why is Gram Schmidt process needed? My original brute force idea is to solve n-1 equations.

I also wonder if there is a neat expression for such vector?:oldsmile:

Ah, sorry, I didn't read carefully enough. You have no prior knowledge of the vv ... vn to exploit, so orthogonalizing seems to me the only way to get rid of the components of v1 that are in the subspace spanned by vv ... vn ... But by now I'm not all that certain any more...

Gram-Schmidt is not necessary. People usually think of Gram-Schmidt as making an entire set of n orthogonal vectors. Is that what you mean?

Since you only care about finding the orthogonal part of v1, I think you can modify the Gram-Schmidt process to work on only v1. Just keep subtracting the projection of the next vi on what remains of v1.

Your "brute-force" method of solving equations also works. Just like the modified Gram-Schmidt, it does nothing to make the v2, ..., vn orthodonal. I don't know which approach would be less "brute-force".

PS. Don't you mean n equations? You want the dot product of x with v1 to be nonzero (set it = 1) and all the other dot products to be =0.

td21 said:
I also wonder if there is a neat expression for such vector?:oldsmile:
I think that would be w = [v1; v2; ... ; vn]-1(1, 0, 0, ..., 0)

Related to How to construct a vector orthogonal to all but one?

1. What is the purpose of constructing a vector orthogonal to all but one?

The purpose of constructing a vector orthogonal to all but one is to have a vector that is perpendicular to all other vectors in a given set, except for one specific vector. This can be useful in various mathematical and scientific applications, such as finding the normal vector to a plane or finding the direction of maximum change in a multivariable function.

2. What is the mathematical process for constructing such a vector?

The mathematical process for constructing a vector orthogonal to all but one depends on the dimensionality of the vector space. In two dimensions, the vector can be constructed by finding the negative reciprocal of the slope of the given vector. In three dimensions, the vector can be constructed by taking the cross product of the given vector and any other vector in the space. In higher dimensions, the process becomes more complex and may involve linear algebra techniques.

3. Can a vector orthogonal to all but one exist in any vector space?

No, a vector orthogonal to all but one can only exist in a vector space that has at least two dimensions. In a one-dimensional space, there is only one vector and therefore no other vectors to be orthogonal to.

4. Are there any specific properties or characteristics of a vector orthogonal to all but one?

Yes, a vector orthogonal to all but one must be perpendicular to all other vectors in the given set, except for the one specific vector. This means that the dot product of the orthogonal vector with any other vector in the set will be zero.

5. How is the concept of orthogonality related to constructing a vector orthogonal to all but one?

The concept of orthogonality is essential in constructing a vector orthogonal to all but one. Orthogonality refers to the perpendicular relationship between two vectors. So, by constructing a vector that is orthogonal to all but one, we are essentially finding a vector that is perpendicular to all other vectors except for one specific vector, which is the one we want to keep in the set.