How to Construct Quantum Operators for a Two-Particle System?

P2}\hat{P2}+ \hat{r1}[\hat{r2},\hat{P2}]\hat{P2}+ \hat{r2}[\hat{r1},\hat{P2}]\hat{P2})/2m2.Now, we can use the fact that the position and momentum operators are Hermitian, meaning they are equal to their own adjoints, to simplify this expression. This means that [\hat{r},\hat{p}] = [\hat{r},\hat{p}]^{\dagger} = -i\hbar, which leads
gshock

Homework Statement

two particles move in a 2-dim system
the potential is V=(1+([tex]\vec{r1}[/tex]*[tex]\vec{r2}[/tex]/R2))(([tex]\vec{P1}[/tex]*[tex]\vec{P1}[/tex]/2m1)+([tex]\vec{P2}[/tex]*[tex]\vec{P2}[/tex]/2m2))
find the QM operator for this potential

Homework Equations

r1, r2, p1, p2 are vectors
[tex]\vec{r1}[/tex]=(x1,y1)

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\hat{r1}[/tex]=x1x+y1y
[tex]\hat{r2}[/tex]=x2x+y2y
[tex]\hat{P1}[/tex]=-i[tex]\hbar[/tex]/2m1(d/dx)+d/dy))
[tex]\hat{P2}[/tex]=-i[tex]\hbar[/tex]/2m2(d/dx)+d/dy))

Is it correct to replace the V with the position and momentum operators directly?
Would this be the hermitian operator?

I think the first term (1+([tex]\hat{r1}[/tex]*[tex]\hat{r2}[/tex])/R2) is constant. Because the inner product of two vectors is scalar.

I have the question about the 2nd term:

Is [tex]\hat{P1}[/tex]*[tex]\hat{P1}[/tex]=(i[tex]\hbar[/tex])2*(d2/dx2+d2/dy2)=-[tex]\hbar[/tex]2*(d2/dx2+d2/dy2) --(1)Or [tex]\hat{P1}[/tex]*[tex]\hat{P1}[/tex]=-[tex]\hbar[/tex]2*(d2/dx2+d2/dy2+(d/dx)(d/dy)+(d/dy)*(d/dx)) --(2)

thx

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. In order to find the QM operator for this potential, we need to first understand the form of the potential itself. The potential given in your post is a combination of two terms: the first term is a constant and the second term is a function of position and momentum operators. Therefore, we can write the potential as V = V_0 + V_1, where V_0 is the constant term and V_1 is the function of position and momentum operators.

Now, let's consider the second term V_1 in more detail. It can be rewritten as V_1 = (\hat{r1}*\hat{r2}/R2)((\hat{P1}*\hat{P1}/2m1)+(\hat{P2}*\hat{P2}/2m2)). As you correctly pointed out, the inner product of two vectors is a scalar, so we can rewrite this as V_1 = (1/R2)((\hat{r1}*\hat{r2})(\hat{P1}*\hat{P1})/2m1 + (\hat{r1}*\hat{r2})(\hat{P2}*\hat{P2})/2m2).

Now, we can use the commutation relation between position and momentum operators, [\hat{r},\hat{p}] = i\hbar, to rewrite the term (\hat{r1}*\hat{r2})(\hat{P1}*\hat{P1}) as [\hat{r1},\hat{r2}]\hat{P1}\hat{P1}+ \hat{r1}[\hat{r2},\hat{P1}]\hat{P1}+ \hat{r2}[\hat{r1},\hat{P1}]\hat{P1}. Using this, we can rewrite V_1 as V_1 = (1/R2)([\hat{r1},\hat{r2}]\hat{P1}\hat{P1}+ \hat{r1}[\hat{r2},\hat{P1}]\hat{P1}+ \hat{r2}[\hat{r1},\hat{P1}]\hat{P1})/2m1 + (1/R2

FAQ: How to Construct Quantum Operators for a Two-Particle System?

What is quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of matter and energy at the atomic and subatomic levels. It provides a framework for understanding the fundamental laws that govern the behavior of particles such as electrons and photons.

How does quantum mechanics differ from classical mechanics?

Classical mechanics describes the motion of macroscopic objects, while quantum mechanics describes the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic levels. Classical mechanics follows deterministic laws, while quantum mechanics involves probability and uncertainty.

What is the wave-particle duality in quantum mechanics?

The wave-particle duality is the concept that particles can exhibit both wave-like and particle-like behavior. This means that particles can act as waves and spread out over space, and also behave like distinct particles with specific properties such as mass and charge.

What is quantum entanglement?

Quantum entanglement is a phenomenon in which two or more particles become connected in such a way that the state of one particle is affected by the state of the other, even when they are separated by large distances. This is a fundamental aspect of quantum mechanics and has been observed in experiments.

What are some potential applications of quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics has a wide range of potential applications, including quantum computing, cryptography, and teleportation. It also plays a crucial role in technologies such as transistors, lasers, and MRI machines. In addition, quantum mechanics has implications for our understanding of the universe and has led to groundbreaking discoveries in cosmology and particle physics.

Back