How to deal with drones snooping on you

• Thread starter jtbell
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Drones
In summary, the biotic anti-drone missile is awesome and I like the sound of the drone motors trying to recover attitude.
jtbell
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Deploy a biotic anti-drone missile:

Likes Astronuc, Drakkith, Medicol and 1 other person
Physics news on Phys.org
Awesome. I liked the sound of the drone motors trying to recover attitude.

Likes Medicol
For some reason part of me really likes that, for the time being at least, the birds are still the true masters of the skies, at least when it comes to being to objects that size. They can't do anything about our aeroplanes and helicopters, but they can still put up a fight against drones encroaching on their territory!

Although soon they'll lose that battle too...

Take your rifle, lock and load!

nuuskur said:
Take your rifle, lock and load!

That's what I will do next time I see a drone.

Better to pull an Iran and use cyberwarfare to steal the drone for personal use, or at least ransom.

I wonder if the hawk thinks it's prey or competition.

I thought drones were the things the military uses to attack targets remotely. Isn't that thing just a quadcopter with a camera?

leroyjenkens said:
I thought drones were the things the military uses to attack targets remotely. Isn't that thing just a quadcopter with a camera?
I believe to be called a "drone" all that is necessary is that it have no onboard pilot. They are most often used for surveillance, but can be outfitted to explode on crashing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unmanned_aerial_vehicle

Didn't expect a Bird of Prey to Cling-On. :D

Lame Trek pun, I know.

He was just mad the drone got in his territory and tried to kill it

http://dilbert.com/dyn/str_strip/000000000/00000000/0000000/000000/40000/0000/000/40023/40023.strip.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
leroyjenkens said:

As I understand things "drone" is essentially a colloquialism for UAV and a UAV is simply an aerial vehicle with no human pilot. So that can include everything from (mostly) autonomous military units to model aircraft. In my experience though when people say "drone" they mean something that is capable of some form of autonomous flight. In the case of quadcopters you can buy some types that essentially fly themselves with a human pilot telling them simple instructions (up/down/look over there/come back). This sounds similar to a model airplane but if you've ever flown one of the latter you'd definitely know the difference between giving instructions and remote piloting :) I've only done it once but it didn't end well...

zoobyshoe said:
I wonder if the hawk thinks it's prey or competition.
I'm going to go with competition.

To see it as prey, I'd think the bird would have to recognize it. i.e. new things are not prey unless they are prey.
To see it as competition, the bird only has to recognize it as a threat i.e. new things are competition unless they are not competition.Also, I'd expect that, if it thought it was prey, it would take up a position above the target to observe and attack from cover.

Last edited:
It's probably just a previously undiscovered species of Kardashian who thought that the drone was being controlled by paparazzi.

It makes me wonder how this will affect Amazon's business plan for drone deliveries.

Borg said:
It makes me wonder how this will affect Amazon's business plan for drone deliveries.
Warning: A little foul language and a bit graphic, but ... cool, IMO.

Likes Borg
Not quite as violent but a nice idea.

Likes dlgoff
Ryan_m_b said:
As I understand things "drone" is essentially a colloquialism for UAV and a UAV is simply an aerial vehicle with no human pilot. So that can include everything from (mostly) autonomous military units to model aircraft. In my experience though when people say "drone" they mean something that is capable of some form of autonomous flight. In the case of quadcopters you can buy some types that essentially fly themselves with a human pilot telling them simple instructions (up/down/look over there/come back). This sounds similar to a model airplane but if you've ever flown one of the latter you'd definitely know the difference between giving instructions and remote piloting :) I've only done it once but it didn't end well...
Seems like people only started calling them drones after the military started using them and calling them drones. I guess it just sounds cooler. And that's probably why people started buying hummers. Then gas prices went up and I stopped seeing hummers on the road.

I had an RC plane once. I remember when I first flew it. That was also the last time I flew it. Or, rather, it was the last time it could fly.

dlgoff said:
Warning: A little foul language and a bit graphic, but ... cool, IMO.

How the hell is this stuff legal??

Related to How to deal with drones snooping on you

1. How do drones snoop on me?

Drones can snoop on you in a variety of ways. They can use cameras and microphones to gather information about your location, activities, and conversations. They can also gather data from your electronic devices, such as your smartphone or laptop.

2. Is it legal for drones to snoop on me?

The legality of drone snooping depends on where you are located and the purpose of the snooping. In general, drones must follow FAA regulations and local laws regarding privacy. If you believe a drone is illegally snooping on you, you should contact local authorities.

3. How can I protect myself from drone snooping?

There are a few ways you can protect yourself from drone snooping. You can use privacy curtains or window films to block drones from seeing inside your home. You can also use signal jammers to prevent drones from accessing your electronic devices. Additionally, you can invest in anti-drone technology that can detect and disrupt drones in your area.

4. Can a drone be hacked to stop snooping?

It is possible for a drone to be hacked to stop snooping, but it is not recommended. Hacking a drone without authorization is illegal and may result in serious consequences. It is best to use legal and safe methods to protect yourself from drone snooping.

5. What should I do if I see a drone snooping on me?

If you see a drone snooping on you, it is important to remain calm and assess the situation. If the drone appears to be a threat or is violating your privacy, you can contact local authorities or use anti-drone technology to disrupt its signal. If the drone is not causing harm, it is best to avoid confrontations and take precautions to protect your privacy in the future.