How to explain force in turning car

In summary, both explanations assume that the car's reference frame is not important. Instead, they focus on the frame of reference of the person inside the car.
RubinLicht

Homework Statement

When a car turns or accelerates, you feel and extra force, and some hanging things in the car also shift. How do you explain this phenomena?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My explanation was simply that since the car is a non inertia frame of reference, you experience an imaginary force that pushes you away from the the direction you're turning/accelerating in. You tilt when turning because friction and your new weight exert a torque on your body.
My friend's explanation was that you are "feeling inertia" I do not know how to explain why I think "feeling inertia" is an icky explanation, could anyone explain why this explanation may be right or wrong to me?

My friend and I also had issues with the concept of "feeling an imaginary force"

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe the inertia is right. Remember what Newton said things have a tendency to stay in their state of motion. So if you are going forward you will stay going forward unless something affects you.

When you are in a car and there is a roundabout coming ahead, You will feel a force acting this is fake, it is just a feeling that you want to go in a straight line but friction for example in this situation wants you to have a circular motion in other words to stay with the car. So it will push you to the center but you feel that you are being pushed to outside (Inertia).

Same example with accelerating in a straight line, Your body is at a speed but when you accelerate the car's speed will be faster than yours so you will end up going back but what keeps you from going backward is the chair it pushes you so you get the same accelerating or speed as the car

Seems to me both explanations are saying the same thing. But first, to clarify, it's not the car as a reference frame that matters, it's you as a reference frame.
In your reference frame, you are not accelerating (by definition). But you feel a contact force from the car. We all have an intuitive grasp of Newton's laws, so to explain an unbalanced contact force, yet no acceleration, we invent a mysterious force the other way.

Related to How to explain force in turning car

What is force in a turning car?

Force in a turning car is the physical push or pull that is applied to the car to make it change direction. This force can come from the engine, brakes, or gravity.

How does force affect a turning car?

Force affects a turning car by creating a centripetal force, which is the force that keeps the car moving in a circular path. The amount of force applied and the direction of the force determine the speed and radius of the car's turn.

What factors influence the amount of force needed to turn a car?

The weight of the car, the speed at which it is traveling, and the radius of the turn are all factors that influence the amount of force needed to turn a car. The heavier the car, the faster it is going, or the tighter the turn, the more force is required.

How does friction play a role in turning a car?

Friction is the force that resists the motion of the car and is essential in turning. Without enough friction, the car would not be able to maintain its circular path and would continue in a straight line.

Can force be used to improve a car's turning ability?

Yes, force can be used to improve a car's turning ability. By understanding the principles of force and how it affects turning, engineers can design cars with better handling and control. This can be achieved through advancements in technology, such as anti-lock braking systems and traction control.