How to find the interval of decrease on (x^3 - 1)/(x^3 + 1)?

In summary, the function we are trying to find the interval of decrease for is (x^3 - 1)/(x^3 + 1). The interval of decrease can be determined by finding the critical points and plugging them into the first derivative. For this function, the critical points are x = -1 and x = 1. To determine the interval of decrease, we plug these points into the first derivative and check if the resulting values are negative. The final interval of decrease for this function is (-1, 1).
Eclair_de_XII

Homework Statement

f(x) = (x3 - 1)/(x3 + 1)

Homework Equations

(d/dx)[f(x)/g(x)] = [f`(x)⋅g(x) - f(x)⋅g`(x)]/[g(x)]2

The Attempt at a Solution

f`(x) = [3x2(x3 + 1) - 3x2(x3 - 1)]/[(x3 + 1)]2
f`(x) = 3x2[(x3 + 1) - (x3 - 1)]/[(x3 + 1)]2
f`(x) = 3x2(2)/[(x3 + 1)]2

f`(x) = 6x2/(x3 + 1)2

When I made a sign chart for this derivative, I couldn't find any x that could make the value of f`(x) negative. It's always positive, because both terms are squared. So I can't find any interval of decrease, and in turn, any local minimum or maximum. I'm asked to also write the intervals of concave up/down and any inflection points. I highly doubt my professor would assign a problem where I would just write N/A for six of these values. Am I doing something wrong? What x would make this derivative negative? Or perhaps, am I not deriving this correctly?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your calculations look correct to me

Eclair_de_XII said:

Homework Statement

f(x) = (x3 - 1)/(x3 + 1)

Homework Equations

(d/dx)[f(x)/g(x)] = [f`(x)⋅g(x) - f(x)⋅g`(x)]/[g(x)]2

The Attempt at a Solution

f`(x) = [3x2(x3 + 1) - 3x2(x3 - 1)]/[(x3 + 1)]2
f`(x) = 3x2[(x3 + 1) - (x3 - 1)]/[(x3 + 1)]2
f`(x) = 3x2(2)/[(x3 + 1)]2

f`(x) = 6x2/(x3 + 1)2

When I made a sign chart for this derivative, I couldn't find any x that could make the value of f`(x) negative. It's always positive, because both terms are squared. So I can't find any interval of decrease, and in turn, any local minimum or maximum. I'm asked to also write the intervals of concave up/down and any inflection points. I highly doubt my professor would assign a problem where I would just write N/A for six of these values. Am I doing something wrong? What x would make this derivative negative? Or perhaps, am I not deriving this correctly?
Technically, f' is not always positive -- it's undefined for x = -1. Otherwise, f' > 0 for any ##x \ne -1##.
As far as concavity, the 2nd derivative changes sign at a number of points, so writing N/A for these parts would be incorrect.

Mark44 said:
As far as concavity, the 2nd derivative changes sign at a number of points, so writing N/A for these parts would be incorrect.

You mean f``(x)? I looked into local minima/maxima a bit more just now, and it looks like it depends on the second derivative. Other than that, there is no interval of decrease, is there?

Eclair_de_XII said:
You mean f``(x)?
Yes, f'' determines the concavity. On any interval where f''(x) > 0, the graph of f is concave up, and on any interval where f''(x) < 0, the graph of f is concave down.
Eclair_de_XII said:
I looked into local minima/maxima a bit more just now, and it looks like it depends on the second derivative.
No. Since f'(x) is never 0, which you showed, there are no local maxima or minima.
Eclair_de_XII said:
Other than that, there is no interval of decrease, is there?
No, there isn't.

Mark44 said:
Yes, f'' determines the concavity. On any interval where f''(x) > 0, the graph of f is concave up, and on any interval where f''(x) < 0, the graph of f is concave down.
No. Since f'(x) is never 0, which you showed, there are no local maxima or minima.
No, there isn't.

Actually, ##f'(0) = 0##, so ##f'(x)## can be zero in places. However, ##x=0## is a stationary inflection point, rather like in the graph of ##y = x^3##.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ray Vickson said:
Actually, ##f'(0) = 0##, so ##f'(x)## can be zero in places. However, ##x=0## is a stationary inflection point, rather like in the graph of ##y = x^3##.
Yes, you're correct about f'(0), Ray. I forgot that the numerator could be zero, and misspoke.

Related to How to find the interval of decrease on (x^3 - 1)/(x^3 + 1)?

1. What is the function we are trying to find the interval of decrease for?

The function we are trying to find the interval of decrease for is (x^3 - 1)/(x^3 + 1).

2. How do we determine the interval of decrease for a function?

The interval of decrease for a function can be determined by finding the critical points of the function and plugging them into the first derivative. If the first derivative is negative at a critical point, then that point is part of the interval of decrease.

3. What are the critical points of this function?

The critical points of (x^3 - 1)/(x^3 + 1) are x = -1 and x = 1.

4. How do we plug the critical points into the first derivative to determine the interval of decrease?

To determine the interval of decrease, we plug the critical points into the first derivative, which is (3x^2(x^3 + 1) - 3x^2(x^3 - 1))/(x^3 + 1)^2. If the resulting values are negative, then those points are part of the interval of decrease.

5. What is the final interval of decrease for this function?

The final interval of decrease for (x^3 - 1)/(x^3 + 1) is (-1, 1).