Hydrostatic paradox one step further- weights of the different fluid amounts

In summary, the weights of the flasks on the scales supporting the containers are related as follows: Wleft = 8/5 Wright, Wleft = 6/5 Wright, Wleft = 5/3 Wright, cannot be determined, Wleft = 3/2 Wright, Wleft = 7/4 Wright, Wleft = Wright, Wleft = 2 Wright, Wleft = 7/5 Wright, Wleft = 4/3 Wright.
symphwar

Homework Statement

Two open-top containers, #1 on the left
and #2 on the right, with equal base area A
are placed on two scales. The #2 container
on the right has an lower diameter twice that
of its upper diameter and the height of its
lower (larger) diameter is half that of its water
height. Both containers are filled with water
to the same height H, as shown below.

http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/3197/pascalvases.th.png

(http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/89/pascalvases.png/)What is the relationship between the weights
exerted by the flasks on the scales supporting
the containers?

1. Wleft = 8/5 Wright
2. Wleft = 6/5 Wright
3. Wleft = 5/3 Wright
4. Wleft = 7/4 Wright
5. cannot be determined
6. Wleft = 3/2 Wright
7. Wleft = Wright
8. Wleft = 2 Wright
9. Wleft = 7/5 Wright
10. Wleft = 4/3 Wright

Homework Equations

W = mg
m = V[itex]\rho[/itex]
P = Patm + [itex]\rho[/itex]gh

The Attempt at a Solution

My first try with this problem was to use the given dimensions of the container to determine that the flask on the right contains 3/4 as much water as the one on the left. However, 4/3 Wr was not correct. Looking at the differences between the flasks, I surmise that the flask on the right has the gravitational force from the mass of water, as well as downward forces from the horizontal "sides" of the container. These, added together, must equal the force from the bottom of the flask (upwards). This force from the bottom is equal to the pressure from the water on the bottom, and is, in classic hydrostatic paradox fashion, equivalent for both containers- F = 2A[itex]\rho[/itex]gh. The weight of the left beaker, I think, would just be this force on the bottom. The sides of the right container are the additional factor I can't seem to weave in. I guessed that the normal-type force downwards from the flask "sides" would be F = PA = 1/4 A[itex]\rho[/itex]gh per side, being h below the surface of the entire column of water and acting over 1/2 d of the bottom per side. But subtracting this, doubled, from the force acting on the bottom, just gives me the incorrect 4/3 ratio of weights again. What am I doing wrong? Thanks in advance for any input and sagely wisdom!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
symphwar said:

The Attempt at a Solution

My first try with this problem was to use the given dimensions of the container to determine that the flask on the right contains 3/4 as much water as the one on the left.

Why 3/4? Remember, a flask exist is three-dimension, it is not a two-dimensional figure on a sheet of paper or on the display of a computer. Determine the volumes in terms of d and h. What do you get?

ehild

Well, knowing that the bottom area is the same for both, the volume contained in the left beaker would be A2h. Whereas, for the right flask, that would be...Ah + 1/2 Ah = 3/2 Ah. W,l = 2Ah vs. W,r = 3/2 Ah, so W,l / W,r = 4/3 again? I could be making a mistake assuming that the top, skinny part of the right container has a cross-sectional area of 1/2 A?

Last edited:
The diameter is half, what is the area?

ehild

D'oh. Lesson learned- never assume things are cubical (/forget what 'diameter' implies). Thanks so much! Obviously (argh), Wl = 8/5 Wr.

Welcome in 3D world.:biggrin:

ehild

Related to Hydrostatic paradox one step further- weights of the different fluid amounts

1. What is the hydrostatic paradox?

The hydrostatic paradox is a phenomenon in fluid mechanics where a small amount of fluid at a greater height can exert the same amount of pressure as a larger amount of fluid at a lower height.

2. How does the hydrostatic paradox work?

The hydrostatic paradox works due to the nature of hydrostatic pressure, which increases with depth and is exerted equally in all directions. This means that even though a smaller amount of fluid may have less weight, it can still exert the same amount of pressure as a larger amount of fluid due to its greater depth.

3. What is the significance of the hydrostatic paradox?

The hydrostatic paradox has significant implications in various fields, including engineering, meteorology, and oceanography. It helps in understanding and predicting the behavior of fluids, such as water, in different situations and environments.

4. How does the weight of fluid affect the hydrostatic paradox?

The weight of fluid plays a crucial role in the hydrostatic paradox as it determines the amount of pressure that the fluid exerts. A smaller amount of fluid with a greater weight can have the same pressure as a larger amount of fluid with a lesser weight, as long as their depths are different.

5. Can the hydrostatic paradox be applied to all fluids?

While the hydrostatic paradox is a fundamental principle in fluid mechanics, it may not apply to all types of fluids. It is most commonly observed in incompressible fluids, such as water, and may not be applicable to compressible fluids, such as air or gas.