Why is My LTSpice Thevenin Resistance 7.6 Ohms?

• Thread starter ntetlow
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ltspice
ntetlow
Attached is an ltcpice net file.
The thevenin resistance betweed the 3ohm and 6ohm resistor is 7.6 ohms. This works out as 3ohms plus the parallel value of 20||6 (4.6ohms).
My problem is - Why is this the thevenin resistance, could someone please explain?

Attachments

• thev2.txt
    117 bytes · Views: 58
Engineering news on Phys.org
ntetlow said:
Attached is an ltcpice net file.
The thevenin resistance betweed the 3ohm and 6ohm resistor is 7.6 ohms. This works out as 3ohms plus the parallel value of 20||6 (4.6ohms).
My problem is - Why is this the thevenin resistance, could someone please explain?
My LTSpice software is on a different computer from the one I'm working on right now. Can you post a couple of screenshots of your circuit and your simulation results?

Thanks for the reply. Screenshot attached.

Neil
Screenshot (7).png

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, just realised that i've sent a different version of the ltspice, instead of 20ohms as above, please read 9 ohms(2 +3+4) making the thevenin resistance 6.6ohms

What voltage is ##V_1##?

V1 is 1 volt. it is used to measure the thevenin resistance. the screenshot shows the current
The current is 151.51mA, dividing 1 by 151.51mA gives a resistance of 6.6 ohms.

ntetlow said:
Sorry, just realised that i've sent a different version of the ltspice, instead of 20ohms as above, please read 9 ohms(2 +3+4) making the thevenin resistance 6.6ohms
That looks correct (I've deleted a couple replies of mine just now that were wrong). The 3 Ohm resistor in the ##V_1## source leg is in series with the 9//6 Ohm resistances.

Attach the LTspice.asc file to a post by renaming it as LTspice.asc.txt
Rename it to LTspice.asc then run it as LTspice program. See attached.
If you post a netlist, we must paste it as a command, then we see a different layout to you.
thev3.png

Attachments

• thev3.asc.txt
    3.1 KB · Views: 54
Likes berkeman
Yes, I see it now, just a matter of shifting things round, I wondered if that would do it.
Thanks for your help.

Neil

Likes berkeman and Baluncore

Related to Why is My LTSpice Thevenin Resistance 7.6 Ohms?

Why is my Thevenin resistance different from the expected value?

There could be several reasons for this discrepancy. Common issues include incorrect component values, misconfigured circuit elements, or errors in the simulation setup. Double-check all component values and ensure that your circuit is configured exactly as intended.

How do I properly measure Thevenin resistance in LTSpice?

To measure Thevenin resistance, first, remove the load resistor from your circuit. Then, perform a DC operating point analysis to find the open-circuit voltage (Vth). Next, replace the voltage source with a short circuit and the current source with an open circuit. Finally, perform another DC operating point analysis to find the short-circuit current (Isc). The Thevenin resistance (Rth) is then Vth/Isc.

Why is my Thevenin resistance zero or infinite?

A zero Thevenin resistance typically indicates a short circuit, while an infinite Thevenin resistance suggests an open circuit. Check for unintended short circuits or open circuits in your schematic. Ensure that all components are correctly connected and that there are no floating nodes.

Can non-linear components affect my Thevenin resistance calculation?

Yes, non-linear components like diodes, transistors, or any active devices can affect the Thevenin resistance. Thevenin's theorem applies to linear circuits, so if your circuit includes non-linear elements, you may need to linearize the circuit around a specific operating point or use small-signal analysis.

How do I verify my Thevenin resistance calculation in LTSpice?

To verify your Thevenin resistance calculation, you can use a test resistor in place of the load. Simulate the circuit with this test resistor and measure the voltage across it. Use Ohm's law to calculate the resistance. Compare this calculated resistance with your Thevenin resistance to ensure they match.

Back