I want to know the exact problems of Merging GR and QM

In summary, the main problem with merging General Relativity (GR) and Quantum Mechanics (QM) is that they are fundamentally different theories that have yet to be reconciled. Proposed solutions to merging GR and QM include string theory, loop quantum gravity, and holographic principle. Successfully merging GR and QM would provide a complete and unified understanding of the universe and allow for a better understanding of phenomena such as black holes and the Big Bang. However, there is currently no widely accepted theory that successfully merges GR and QM, and scientists face challenges such as the lack of empirical evidence, mathematical complexities, and potential fundamental differences between the two theories.
VIctor Medvil
This thread is I want a set of experts in the subject to show me the exact math of why Einstein's field Equations along with Special Relativity and Schrodinger's Equation along with deeper QM like QFT cannot be fused with GR. I want to see the exact anomalies in the equations myself from the view of Standard Physics for analysis in a speculative model of Quantum Gravity in another forum as that is against the rules of physicsforums.com

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
VIctor Medvil said:
I want a set of experts in the subject to show me the exact math of why Einstein's field Equations along with Special Relativity and Schrodinger's Equation along with deeper QM like QFT cannot be fused with GR

This is way too broad a question. There is plenty of literature on this topic already. You have marked this thread as "A" level indicating a graduate level background with the subject matter; that means you should already have encountered at least some of the existing literature that deals with this question.

A very general answer would be that quantum mechanics requires that any physical system can exist in a superposition of states with probabilities for different results of measurements; but GR does not model spacetime this way, it gives one unique spacetime geometry. Efforts to quantize GR along the same lines as other field theories lead to a non-renormalizable theory; and heuristically, we don't expect quantum effects of gravity to show up until the Planck scale, which is about 20 orders of magnitude out of reach of our current experiments, so we have no way of exploring possible quantum effects of gravity experimentally to guide our theorizing.

PeterDonis said:
This is way too broad a question. There is plenty of literature on this topic already. You have marked this thread as "A" level indicating a graduate level background with the subject matter; that means you should already have encountered at least some of the existing literature that deals with this question.

A very general answer would be that quantum mechanics requires that any physical system can exist in a superposition of states with probabilities for different results of measurements; but GR does not model spacetime this way, it gives one unique spacetime geometry. Efforts to quantize GR along the same lines as other field theories lead to a non-renormalizable theory; and heuristically, we don't expect quantum effects of gravity to show up until the Planck scale, which is about 20 orders of magnitude out of reach of our current experiments, so we have no way of exploring possible quantum effects of gravity experimentally to guide our theorizing.

I do, I would like to peer review this concept and to do this I need detailed math on the subject in the current models of physics. I would like your viewpoint.

VIctor Medvil said:
I would like to peer review this concept

That's not what PF is for. Peer reviewing is something that should be done with scientific papers before they are published and become topics of discussion here. So you would need to contact journals that send out papers for review.

Let's call this a "Soft" peer review. I would like all information you know about this subject in math. I am not going to waste 2 grand or more in journal publishing fees without knowing it has a chance for success in mainstream physics.

VIctor Medvil said:
I would like all information you know about this subject in math.

Sorry, that's too broad, as I've already said. You need to do the work yourself of reading the literature and finding specific questions to ask.

Thread closed.

The moderators were contacted with the idea this thread would benefit others reading it from one last post - so here it is.

A science adviser wanted it mentioned there are many long review articles on quantum gravity that discuss the issues and also problems and limitations of current solution attempts. Each of these is typically over 50 pages with hundreds of references. These are where you should start:
https://arxiv.org/abs/0907.4238
https://arxiv.org/abs/1507.08194

I always personally post the following paper that gives a different take on the whole thing:
https://arxiv.org/abs/1209.3511

Thread now shut - permanently.

Thanks
Bill

Likes Demystifier

Related to I want to know the exact problems of Merging GR and QM

1. What is the main problem with merging General Relativity (GR) and Quantum Mechanics (QM)?

The main problem with merging GR and QM is that they are fundamentally different theories that have yet to be reconciled. GR describes the behavior of large-scale objects, such as planets and galaxies, while QM describes the behavior of subatomic particles. These two theories have different mathematical frameworks and have not been successfully integrated into a single unified theory.

2. What are some proposed solutions to merging GR and QM?

Some proposed solutions include string theory, loop quantum gravity, and holographic principle. These theories attempt to reconcile the differences between GR and QM by proposing new mathematical frameworks or by reinterpreting existing theories in a new way.

3. What are the potential implications of successfully merging GR and QM?

If GR and QM are successfully merged, it would provide a complete and unified understanding of the universe. It would also allow us to better understand phenomena such as black holes, the Big Bang, and the behavior of matter at the smallest scales.

4. How close are we to merging GR and QM?

Currently, there is no widely accepted theory that successfully merges GR and QM. However, there has been progress in certain areas, such as string theory, and there is ongoing research and experimentation in this field. It is difficult to predict when a unified theory will be achieved, if at all.

5. What challenges do scientists face in merging GR and QM?

One of the main challenges is the lack of empirical evidence for a unified theory. GR and QM have been extensively tested and verified through experiments, but a unified theory has not yet been experimentally validated. Additionally, the mathematical complexities and different scales involved in both theories present challenges in reconciling them. Finally, there may be fundamental differences between the two theories that cannot be reconciled, making a unified theory impossible.