I want to use POP commands using cmd

• Comp Sci
  • Thread starter shivajikobardan
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of telnet commands to connect to a POP server, specifically Gmail's POP server. However, the user encountered errors and was advised to read about POP servers on Wikipedia instead of attempting to connect via telnet. The article also mentions that most POP servers are behind SSH daemons, making telnet connections impossible.
shivajikobardan
Homework Statement
Post Office Protocol email.
Relevant Equations
None
https://electrictoolbox.com/pop3-commands/
Here is sth relatable. But I am not sure what should I type in along with telnet to connect to gmail pop server?

I tried telnet pop.gmail.com 110

and telnet pop.gmail.com 995
but both of them didn't worked. One showed could not connect error message. Another didn't showed any output and instead took cmd to refresh on administrator.
Any guide here? I just want to understand what these commands are doing so that I can prepare my notes with confidence. Thanks for support.

Physics news on Phys.org
Most POP servers are behind SSH daemons and so you can't just telnet in.

I wouldn't waste your time on this, just read about what a POP server does on Wikipedia and move on.

Likes shivajikobardan
pbuk said:
Most POP servers are behind SSH daemons and so you can't just telnet in.

I wouldn't waste your time on this, just read about what a POP server does on Wikipedia and move on.
oh i see thanks for information.

Related to I want to use POP commands using cmd

1. What is a POP command?

A POP (Post Office Protocol) command is a set of instructions used to retrieve emails from a mail server. These commands are typically used in email clients, such as Microsoft Outlook or Mozilla Thunderbird, to access and manage emails.

2. How do I use POP commands?

To use POP commands, you will need to have an email client installed on your computer. Open the command prompt (cmd) and type in the POP command, followed by the necessary parameters. This will allow you to retrieve, delete, or manage emails on the mail server.

3. Can I use POP commands with any email provider?

Yes, most email providers support POP commands. However, some providers may have specific settings or restrictions for using POP commands. It is recommended to check with your email provider for their specific instructions.

4. Are there any security risks associated with using POP commands?

There can be security risks when using POP commands, as the commands are sent in plain text and can potentially be intercepted by hackers. It is important to use a secure connection (such as SSL) and to use strong passwords to minimize these risks.

5. Can I use POP commands on a mobile device?

Yes, you can use POP commands on a mobile device as long as you have an email client installed and a stable internet connection. However, it is recommended to use a secure connection and to be cautious when using public Wi-Fi networks.