If murdered, which fictional TV detective do you want on the case?

• Thread starter George Jones
  • Start date
Patrick Jane (Mentalist)

Likes Doc Al
Physics news on Phys.org
Demystifier said:
Patrick Jane (Mentalist)
Are there any famous Croatian detectives?

Likes apostolosdt
PeroK said:
Nope.

Likes PeroK
PeroK said:
Nero Wolfe was (sometimes) born in Montenegro. Does that count as close enough?

• Informative
Likes PeroK
In Back To The Future II Doc Brown and Marty figure out Biff killed George McFly so they functioned sort of as detectives. I would have them hired to solve my murder because with a time machine at their disposal, they could prevent it too! If not them then Joe Mannix is my choice.

Likes Borg and Bystander
Obviously I want the ne'er-do-well to have to answer to a rodent!
h_063016_great-mouse-detective-anniversary-780x440.jpg

pinball1970 said:
Being a good TV detective is not just about having a beautiful woman in the team.

Notable mention, these guys, “The Sweeney”

John Thaw (on the left who played Regan) was a Manc and from Gorton where I grew up.

They did not always get their man but they always gave their best, broke the rules, clashed with higher management and still manage to party 1970s style.

View attachment 336893
Since you mentioned John Thaw, I'm surprised no one on this thread mentioned Inspector Morse.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inspector_Morse_(TV_series)

Demystifier said:
Patrick Jane (Mentalist)
How many seasons did it take him to catch Red John? I'd prefer someone speedier.

• Haha
Likes Demystifier and berkeman
Vanadium 50 said:
How many seasons did it take him to catch Red John? I'd prefer someone speedier.
He is not good in catching people with whom he's personally involved, it took him even more seasons to catch Teresa Lisbon. But when there is no personal involvement, he's quite fast. :smile:

Likes Doc Al
Demystifier said:
He is not good in catching people with whom he's personally involved, it took him even more seasons to catch Teresa Lisbon. But when there is no personal involvement, he's quite fast. :smile:
Actually that was one of my complaints of "The Mentalist" toward the end of the series. The "Patrick Jane/Teresa Lisbon love affair" didn't ring true to me -- I always felt the relationship between the two worked as a platonic relationship.

I also thought that the series kind of lost its footing after Red John was finally uncovered and caught. A shame, because otherwise I quite enjoyed the series.