Impact and collision - having problems

In summary, the problem involves two identical smooth spheres, A and B, with A impinging obliquely on B while B is at rest. The direction of A before and after impact make angles of 60 and X degrees, respectively, with the line joining the centers of the spheres at impact. The coefficient of restitution is denoted by e. The task is to prove that tan X is equal to 2√3/1-e. The solution involves drawing diagrams and considering the trajectories of the spheres before and after impact. The coefficient of restitution affects the rebound velocity and thus plays a role in determining the direction of the velocity vectors and, consequently, the angle X.
overpower
Impact and collision -- having problems

A smooth sphere A impinges obliquely with an identical smooth sphere B which is at rest. the direction of A before and after impact makes angles 60 and X , respectively, with the line of centres at impact. the coefficient of restitution is e.
prove that tan x=2(root)3/1-e

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
That is a good question - how have you been attempting it?
Have you sketched out the geometry yet?

this is the problem i just don't quite understand the Q,im not sure where the 60 and X is

Draw two circles, representng the spheres, on a bit of paper, so that they touch.
These are the spheres in the moment of contact.
Label one A and the other B.

Draw a dotted line through the centers of the circles - this is the reference line for the angles.

Draw lines through each center to represent the trajectory before the contact ... remember that the collision is oblique, as opposed to head on. A is the only one moving... it's trajectory makes an angle of 60deg to the reference line. There are 4 ways you can get a 60degree angle in there but at most two will make much sense, and it does not matter which of those you pick.

Similarly for the trajectories after the impact.

ok thanks for your time

No worries - let us know how you got on.

overpower said:
prove that tan x=2(root)3/1-e
Simon Bridge said:
Draw a dotted line through the centers of the circles ...
Draw lines through each center to represent the trajectory before the contact ..
Similarly for the trajectories after the impact.
Seems overpower's gone. I'm interested in the problem, if I am allowed,

first of all :
- is the solution [itex]\frac{2\sqrt{3}}{1-e}[/itex]; if it is an elastic collision then: [itex]\frac{2\sqrt{3}}{0}[/itex]?
- m1= m2?
If we consider the x-axis the direction of A and the two balls at the origin at -60°, if the balls have equal mass then the direction of X should be +30° with reference the x-axis and 90° with the line of impact, right?
tan 30° = 1/√3

Last edited:
The question is a tad ambiguous because it is not clear what the angles are with respect to.
I suppose you could proceed by having the initial velocity of A to be at 60deg to the line joining the centers of A and B at the point of impact.

You should show your working and reasoning along with your solution.
i.e. Why would X be 90deg to the line of impact?
Have a play with some billiard balls and see what happens (air-hockey pucks would be better)

Simon Bridge said:
Why would X be 90deg to the line of impact?
In this regard the OP is not ambiguous.
As the balls are identical the scattering angle X must always be roughly at 90° from the line of impact,because the ball at rest B will always move a 0°
What I do not know is if or how the coefficient e affects the angle X, does it?.
But anyway the solution in OP seems wrong to me,
what does 2√3 mean? and
what 2√3/0? is it a correct representation of tan 90°?

"with line of the centers of impact" shazbot!
managed to misread that, then read it, then miss it!

The coefficient of restitution affects things by determining the rebound velocity.
Check the definition.

Simon Bridge said:
"with line of the centers of impact"
The coefficient of restitution affects things by determining the rebound velocity.
I'd appreciate if you give me a lodestar saying that I did not misread also the solution in the OP and that it actually it reads 2√3/1-e.
I interpreted "the line od centers of impact" as the line joining the 2 centers of mass of the balls. Is that wrong?
I do not understand, also, why the coefficient e appears in the value of the tangent of angle X if it affects only velocity

$$\tan X = \frac{2\sqrt{3}}{1-e}$$ ... is how I read it.

I interpreted "the line od centers of impact" as the line joining the 2 centers of mass of the balls. Is that wrong?
No - I'd say that was correct.

I do not understand, also, why the coefficient e appears in the value of the tangent of angle X if it affects only velocity
You'd have to ask OP.
However the angle X will depend on the direction of the velocity vectors, which will be determined by their magnitudes via conservation of momentum.

I have the impression you agreed that OP is wrong.
The angle of rebound is always at a right angle when masses are identical.
Tan X is 1/√3, vB is v*cos60, and vA is v*cos30* e, right?

Related to Impact and collision - having problems

1. How do impact and collision affect objects?

Impact and collision can cause physical damage to objects by altering their shape, structure, or composition. They can also transfer energy from one object to another, resulting in changes in motion or velocity.

2. What are some common problems caused by impact and collision?

Some common problems caused by impact and collision include structural damage, loss of function or efficiency, and injuries to living organisms. In extreme cases, they can also lead to catastrophic events such as explosions or collapses.

3. How can we prevent or mitigate the effects of impact and collision?

To prevent or mitigate the effects of impact and collision, we can use protective barriers or shields, design structures and objects to withstand impacts, and implement safety protocols and regulations. We can also use advanced technologies such as impact-absorbing materials or predictive models to minimize potential damage.

4. What factors can influence the severity of impact and collision?

The severity of impact and collision can be influenced by factors such as the speed and mass of the objects involved, the angle and direction of impact, and the materials and structures of the objects. Additionally, environmental factors such as temperature, humidity, and air pressure can also play a role.

5. Are there any real-world applications of studying impact and collision?

Studying impact and collision has numerous real-world applications, including designing safer vehicles and buildings, developing protective gear for athletes and soldiers, and understanding and preventing natural disasters such as earthquakes and meteor impacts. It also has applications in industries such as aerospace, automotive, and defense.