Impedance of a terminal of a simple NMOS circuit

In summary, the voltage at the drain should be the same as the gate right, they share the same node. However, as small-signal analysis shows, the current source is actually a current through the resistor, so the current through the resistor and the MOS should be the same.
Waxterzz

Homework Statement

Calculate the impedance Zin[/B]

qh1jfgv.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
WZNkok4.jpg

I cut VDD and the DC current source at the top.

Put in test DC voltage

VTest - 10* ITest = VGS (because voltage "after" the resistor = the voltage at the gate and the drain, and source is to ground.

times gm to find current trough NMOS:

gm [VTest - 10* ITest ]= gm VGS

This equals VTest / 10 (current through resistor would be the same as current through NMOS

rearranging

VTest / I Test = 10*gm / (gm - 1/10) = Zin

Zin = 101.01 k Ohm ?This is probably wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
This equals VTest / 10 (current through resistor
This could be true only if the drain voltage was approximately zero, and you haven't demonstrated that it is. So you need to determine the right relationship.

Remember, ##\mathtt {\frac 1 g_m}## has units of Ohms.

Your method of approach is along the right lines, nonetheless. Caution: you are going to be tripped up sooner or later if you continue to write 10k as 10 in formulae.

Last edited:
NascentOxygen said:
This could be true only if the drain voltage was approximately zero, and you haven't demonstrated that it is. So you need to determine the right relationship.

Remember, ##\mathtt {\frac 1 g_m}## has units of Ohms.

Your method of approach is along the right lines, nonetheless. Caution: you are going to be tripped up sooner or later if you continue to write 10k as 10 in formulae.
Hi, according to my calculations the voltage at the drain should be the same as the gate right, they share the same node.

But in the small signal model, its a current source so current following through resistor and the MOS should be the same not?

And yes, I'm aware of the problem with the possibility that writing 10k as 10 can go wrong. I will check on that in the future.Also, another approach could be given by Blackmans formula, but I don't know how to do that. U could choose between blackman (don't know anything about it) or the Vtest / Itest.

You are doing small-signal analysis.
So a small input current i = (vin - vgs)/R.
That small current must equal the increase in drain current (why?).
And small-signal-wise, you are given gm = 10 mA/V. What is the definition of gm?
So you can solve for vgs and then Zin = vin/i.
The answer is a number not much greater than the resistor (10K).

Note that all parameters are small-signal deviations from the dc bias condition.

You do need to pay attention to units as previously advised. I suggest sticking to SI.

I'm not sure what the context of this problem is or what the values of the components in the circuit are. Additionally, impedance is typically represented in units of ohms, not k ohms. It's important to provide more information when asking for help with a problem so that the solution can be accurately determined.

Related to Impedance of a terminal of a simple NMOS circuit

What is impedance?

Impedance is a measure of the opposition to the flow of electric current in a circuit. It is represented by the symbol Z and is measured in ohms.

What is a terminal?

A terminal is a point in a circuit where a component is connected. In the context of an NMOS circuit, the terminal refers to the gate, source, and drain connections of the transistor.

How is impedance calculated in a simple NMOS circuit?

In a simple NMOS circuit, impedance can be calculated using the formula Z = V/I, where V is the voltage across the terminal and I is the current flowing through the terminal. This calculation can be simplified using Ohm's Law (V = IR) to Z = R, where R is the resistance of the terminal.

What factors affect the impedance of a terminal in an NMOS circuit?

The impedance of a terminal in an NMOS circuit is affected by the resistance of the material used, the length and width of the terminal, and the temperature of the circuit. The type and size of the transistor used can also impact the impedance.

Why is the impedance of a terminal important to consider in an NMOS circuit?

The impedance of a terminal in an NMOS circuit directly affects the performance and efficiency of the circuit. A high impedance can lead to voltage drop and signal loss, while a low impedance can cause excessive current flow and potential damage to components. Therefore, it is important to carefully consider and optimize the impedance of the terminals in an NMOS circuit for optimal performance.