Inclined plane, finding normal force

In summary, a car weighing 1160 kg is held in place on a ramp by a light cable at a 31.0 degree angle above the surface, while the ramp itself rises at a 25.0 degree angle. The normal force is calculated to be 7410 N by using the equation Fnormal = m * a(cos theta). The tension of the cable is found to be 5610 N by taking the mass multiplied by 9.8sin(25) and dividing by cos(31). The relationship between the weight of the car and the tension of the cable is crucial in finding the correct normal force.
GRice40

Homework Statement

A 1160 kg car is held in place by a light cable on a very smooth (frictionless) ramp, as shown in the figure . The cable makes an angle of 31.0 degrees above the surface of the ramp, and the ramp itself rises at 25.0 degrees above the horizontal.

Find the normal force along with the tension of the cable.

Homework Equations

Fnormal = M*A

The Attempt at a Solution

I've found the tension by taking the mass X 9.8sin(25), then taking that divided by cos(31) which gave me a tension of ~5610

However, I don't know how to go about finding the normal force

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, I understand that in essence, the Normal Force is going to be

Fnorm= m * a(cos theta), in this case, the theta is 25 degrees, and the mass is 1160 kg.

So:

Fnorm = 1160 * 9.8(cos(25)) = 10302.91 N

That's all fine and well, except that the answer is suppose to be 7410 N. I believe it has something to do with the relationship of the weight of the car compared to the tension, and if it's not that, then I'm completely baffled =(

Alright, just had an epiphany. The tension is, indeed, a force in the Y direction.

So here's what I came out with:

F(up) + F(tension in the y direction) - F(down) = 0

So, F(up/normal force) = F(down) - F(tension in the y direction)

Fnorm = 1160(cos(25)) - (5610(sin(31)) = 7413.55

That number is right around the correct answer that it gave me of 7410 N.

Appreciate all the help guys!

.Based on the information provided, the normal force can be calculated using the following equation:

Fnormal = Mgcos(θ)

Where M is the mass of the car (1160 kg), g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and θ is the angle of the ramp (25 degrees).

Plugging in the values, we get:

Fnormal = (1160 kg)(9.8 m/s^2)cos(25 degrees)

Fnormal = 11438 N

Therefore, the normal force acting on the car is 11438 N. This force is perpendicular to the surface of the ramp and is responsible for balancing out the weight of the car, which is pulling downwards due to gravity.

It is important to note that the normal force is always equal in magnitude but opposite in direction to the force exerted by an object on a surface it is in contact with. In this case, the normal force is equal in magnitude but opposite in direction to the weight of the car. This is why the car remains in equilibrium on the ramp and does not slide down due to its weight.

In summary, the normal force acting on the car is 11438 N and the tension in the cable is ~5610 N.

Related to Inclined plane, finding normal force

1. What is an inclined plane?

An inclined plane is a simple machine that consists of a flat surface that is angled relative to the ground. It is used to reduce the amount of force needed to lift or move objects by spreading the force over a longer distance.

2. How do you find the normal force on an inclined plane?

To find the normal force on an inclined plane, you need to use the equation FN = mg cos(θ), where FN is the normal force, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and θ is the angle of the incline.

3. What is the relationship between the normal force and the weight of an object on an inclined plane?

The normal force is equal and opposite to the weight of an object on an inclined plane. This means that as the angle of the incline increases, the normal force decreases and the weight increases.

4. How does friction affect the normal force on an inclined plane?

Friction between the object and the inclined plane can decrease the normal force. This is because friction acts in the opposite direction of motion, so it can reduce the component of the weight of the object that is perpendicular to the plane.

5. What are some real-world examples of inclined planes?

Inclined planes are commonly used in everyday life, such as ramps for wheelchairs or strollers, sloped roads, and even playground slides. They are also used in more complex machines like escalators and conveyor belts.