Induced drag and different wing types - parasitic vs. induced drag

sur
Thread moved from the technical forums to the schoolwork forums
TL;DR Summary: School project about induced drag - I do not have a wind tunnel - and a comparison between rectengular straight wing, C-wing, and box wing (not airfoils)

I want to know how to derive/ seperate induced drag from the parasite drag

So, I am making an experiment where I'm supposed to launch (in a fairly constant environment) model gliders with wing small aspect ratios and try to prove that box wings/ C- wings are the better option than straight wings. I have already designed a model with modular wings (symmetrical airfoil). I will measure the model's velocity and it's range.
How on earth would I differentiate between induced drag and parasite drag? Is there maybe a formula for that or do I need CFD software to calculate it or an easier option for those...?
If you have any ideas and/or ideas for improvement feel free to express them

Physics news on Phys.org
induced-600x359.jpg

After measuring the lift coefficient ##C_l## and drag coefficient ##C_d##, you can evaluate the induced drag ##C_{di}## and parasite drag ##C_{do}## this way:
$$C_{di} = \frac{C_l^2A}{\pi s^2 e}$$
$$C_{do} = C_d - C_{di}$$
source: https://www1.grc.nasa.gov/beginners-guide-to-aeronautics/induced-drag-coefficient/

• Informative
Likes berkeman, DeBangis21 and sur
What are box wings and C- wings?

Lnewqban said:
What are box wings and C- wings?
These are names for wing shapes:
box/ closed wing (source: Pinterest)
1705214237100.png

C-wing (source: Sciencedirect.com)
1705214795622.png

Likes Lnewqban
Thank you!

It seems that this is an act of balance among what you gain and what you lose with each configuration, assuming similar conditions.

Those two wing shapes try to reduce pressure bleed at the wing-tips, but increase area and corners, both feeding parasite drag, as well as additional weight that requires more lift, which increases induced drag.

For the box type, you have the additional problem of one plane interfering with the airflow of the other, as well as intentional different AOA for each for stall control (typical of traditional biplanes).

The internal structure of the box wing could be lighter than an equivalent monoplane thanks to the closed wingtips, while the opposite should apply to the extra weight and flexure of the C-wing.

As you see, there are many things to play with, while assuming similar travel velocity and useful load to move between two distant locations.

Please, see:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parasitic_drag

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lift-induced_drag

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drag_curve

:cool:

Likes sur
You measure the drag force ##F_d## acting on your wing at a known velocity ##v## and then calculate your ##C_d##:
$$C_d = \frac{2F_d}{\rho Av^2}$$

Likes sur

FAQ: Induced drag and different wing types - parasitic vs. induced drag

What is induced drag, and how does it differ from parasitic drag?

Induced drag is a type of aerodynamic drag that occurs due to the generation of lift by an aircraft's wings. It is associated with the creation of vortices at the wingtips, which results in a pressure difference between the upper and lower surfaces of the wings. Parasitic drag, on the other hand, is unrelated to lift and includes form drag, skin friction, and interference drag, all of which are caused by the aircraft moving through the air.

How do different wing types affect induced drag?

Wing types with higher aspect ratios (longer wingspan relative to chord length) generally produce less induced drag because they generate lift more efficiently and have smaller wingtip vortices. Conversely, wings with lower aspect ratios (shorter wingspan relative to chord length) tend to produce more induced drag. Winglets and other design features can also be used to reduce induced drag by mitigating the strength of wingtip vortices.

What role do winglets play in reducing induced drag?

Winglets are vertical or angled extensions at the tips of wings that help to reduce induced drag by disrupting the formation of wingtip vortices. By redirecting the airflow and reducing the strength of these vortices, winglets decrease the pressure difference between the upper and lower wing surfaces, thereby reducing induced drag and improving overall aerodynamic efficiency.

Can induced drag be completely eliminated?

Induced drag cannot be completely eliminated because it is an inherent consequence of generating lift. However, it can be minimized through design optimizations such as increasing the wing's aspect ratio, using winglets, and employing other aerodynamic enhancements. The goal is to achieve the best possible balance between lift and drag for efficient flight.

How do parasitic and induced drag vary with speed?

Induced drag decreases with increasing speed because the aircraft generates lift more efficiently at higher speeds, resulting in smaller wingtip vortices. Conversely, parasitic drag increases with speed because the aircraft encounters more air resistance as it moves faster through the air. Therefore, at low speeds, induced drag is more significant, while at high speeds, parasitic drag becomes the dominant form of drag.