Industrial electronics: Unclear symbols

In summary: Yep! :smile:I've been swimming ON the water. It's never been so easy to do a crawl (as long as you keep you face well above the water - you really don't want water in your eyes!) :approve:And what's really weird, is that there are lots of Dutch people here! :!)And I've found a computer terminal at the reception, that makes this *a lot* easier.I've been doing a bit of reading up on SCRs and it looks like you're not the only one that's having problems getting it to work. I think I might be able to help you with that problem.
Femme_physics
Gold Member

Homework Statement

So in this circuit
http://img850.imageshack.us/img850/5061/circuittoregulate.jpg

Given that alpha = 60 degrees

I'm asked to draw qualitatively Vin, URL, UAK, and IAK.

Now Vin and URL are simple, but what ARE UAK and IAK? What are they? I don't see an "A" point on a circuit nor a "K" point

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Fp! :smile:

Don't you have a list of abbreviations in your course material?

Anyway, I've just looked it up.
See http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thyristor
It has a pic showing the Anode and Cathode (aka Kathode).
That's your A and K of your Silicon Controlled Rectifier (SCR).

Last edited:
This is going to be soooooo messy with 3 problems in 1 thread.
I'm sure we will all be very confused very soon which problem/picture belongs to which post.
Can I suggest you make separate threads for them? :wink:

Femme_physics said:
http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/1397/inhis.jpg

And trying to solve a system of 3 equations but getting error in the calculator. So are my equations even correct? And is the way I redraw the circuit correct?

Hmm, you removed the diodes. I guess that's ok as long as you keep careful track of the direction of the currents. As it is, I'm afraid you didn't. I3 can't flow the way you drew it.

Furthermore, you have drawn the 2 batteries in opposite directions, but that is never so.
You have 2 cases, but in each case the batteries must be in the same direction.

Finally, your 3rd equation is redundant. It is effectively contained in the first 2 equations.
That's the reason your calculator does not accept it.
You should add a KCL equation though...

Oh, the 3rd problem is a double-post...

As for the SCR problem, the element doesn't quite work like a regular diode.

Under normal circumstance it blocks in *both* directions.
It's only when a pulse is given on the "Gate" that current can flow through, in the regular direction of the diode, and then only as long as the voltage is up to keep it flowing.

When the voltage gets negative it blocks again in both directions.

hehe...hey ILS! :wink:

Responding from your new offices at the dead sea? :D
I like Serena said:
Hi Fp! :smile:

Ah, you're right, I suppose this is exactly why they gave us alpha - the angle of ignition :smile:

It's only when a pulse is given on the "Gate" that current can flow through in the regular direction of a diode, and then only as long as the voltage is up to keep it flowing.

What do you mean by "pulse"?

And where is the gate? Is it the long horizontal line at the end of the triangle's tip?

Be back in 4-5 hrs

Femme_physics said:
hehe...hey ILS! :wink:

Responding from your new offices at the dead sea? :D

Yep! :smile:
I've been swimming ON the water. It's never been so easy to do a crawl (as long as you keep you face well above the water - you really don't want water in your eyes!) :approve:

And what's really weird, is that there are lots of Dutch people here! :!)

And I've found a computer terminal at the reception, that makes this *a lot* easier.

Femme_physics said:
Hi Fp!

Ah, you're right, I suppose this is exactly why they gave us alpha - the angle of ignition

Huh? :confused:
As yet this has nothing to do with alpha.

Femme_physics said:

It's only when a pulse is given on the "Gate" that current can flow through in the regular direction of a diode, and then only as long as the voltage is up to keep it flowing.

What do you mean by "pulse"?

In this picture you can see how it behaves.
The bottom graph shows what a "pulse" looks like.

[URL]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/07/Regulated_rectifier.gif[/URL]

Femme_physics said:
And where is the gate? Is it the long horizontal line at the end of the triangle's tip?

Yep, as you can see in this picture:
[URL]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/93/Thyristor_circuit_symbol.svg/200px-Thyristor_circuit_symbol.svg.png[/URL]

Femme_physics said:
Be back in 4-5 hrs

Good that you mention that! :approve:

But... does that mean you want to do more work late in the evening? :confused:

Yep, as you can see in this picture:

Got it :) ]

But... does that mean you want to do more work late in the evening?

Ended up falling asleep ^^

In this picture you can see how it behaves.
The bottom graph shows what a "pulse" looks like.

Oh right, where alpha is the ignition angle.

Yep!
I've been swimming ON the water. It's never been so easy to do a crawl (as long as you keep you face well above the water - you really don't want water in your eyes!)

And what's really weird, is that there are lots of Dutch people here!

hehe gOod to know :smile:
And I've found a computer terminal at the reception, that makes this *a lot* easier.

Good! and thanks.

About to leave for the test soon. thanks for everything!

Good luck!

Related to Industrial electronics: Unclear symbols

1. What are the common symbols used in industrial electronics?

The most common symbols used in industrial electronics include resistors, capacitors, diodes, transistors, and integrated circuits. These symbols are used to represent different electronic components and their functions in a circuit.

2. How can I decipher unclear symbols in industrial electronics?

One way to decipher unclear symbols in industrial electronics is to refer to a schematic diagram or datasheet of the specific component. Additionally, online resources and forums can also be helpful in identifying unclear symbols.

3. Are there any international standards for industrial electronic symbols?

Yes, there are international standards for industrial electronic symbols, such as the International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC) Standard 60617. These standards ensure consistency and clarity in the use of symbols in electronic schematics.

4. Can symbols vary between different manufacturers?

Yes, symbols can vary between different manufacturers. This is especially true for integrated circuits, where manufacturers may use their own unique symbols. It is important to refer to the manufacturer's datasheet for accurate symbol representation.

5. Are there any software programs to help with interpreting industrial electronic symbols?

Yes, there are various software programs available that can help with interpreting industrial electronic symbols. Some popular programs include Multisim, Proteus, and LTspice, which offer simulation and schematic capture features to aid in interpreting and designing electronic circuits.