Infinitesimals as interval limits in integration

In summary, the conversation discusses the notation F(0)dx and its relation to finding the work done by a force over a distance dx. The integral comes from integrating over the distance dx and proving the variableness of F does not affect the amount of work done. The conversation also touches on defining an integral with an upper limit dx and clarifying the use of dx and Δx in representing small widths. The correct notation for the width of a strip is Δx, not dx.
cubic
Ok so what I want to know is, is this valid? If so what does it mean?

eqn1148.png

Physics news on Phys.org
The notation is unusual. It might simply mean F(0)dx.

The integral comes from finding the work done by a force over a distance dx. The force may or may not be variable so I needed to prove the variableness of F did not matter over an infinitesimal for the purposes of determining the amount of work done.

So dw = F⋅dx => F0⋅dx

So integrating over the distance dx would prove this.

gif.latex.gif

I'm doing a proof that I'd like to make rigorous. This makes sense to me visually - we are simply looking at the area of the first strip of dx - which would be the initial value of F. However I cannot find a way to prove it mathematically.

Last edited:
You first need to define an integral with an upper limit dx.

An upper limit of dx would be the area of the first strip of dx. I need to prove the above.

Doh. The area of that first strip would be the height (F0) by the width (dx.) Ok problem solved.

Last edited:
Notation quibble: dx is used for the differential. If you are trying to describe a small non-zero width, use Δx.

It has to be along a distance dx.

cubic said:
It has to be along a distance dx.
Like mathman said, use Δx. dx has its own meaning. Δx can represent some small distance along the x-axis.

dx is the width of each strip. dx would then be the width of the first strip. Δx is the width of a finite number of strips, which is not what I am looking for.

cubic said:
dx is the width of each strip. dx would then be the width of the first strip. Δx is the width of a finite number of strips, which is not what I am looking for.

Thirding what the others said: the width of the first strip is ##\Delta x_0##, the width of the second strip is ##\Delta x_1## etc. The width of a finite number of strips is ##\Sigma \Delta x_n##.

dx is not used for the width of a strip.

Last edited:

Related to Infinitesimals as interval limits in integration

1. What are infinitesimals in integration?

Infinitesimals are infinitely small numbers that are used in the process of integration to represent the area under a curve. They are typically denoted by dx and are considered to be infinitely small compared to regular numbers.

2. How are infinitesimals used in integration?

Infinitesimals are used as the limits of an interval in the process of integration. They are used to represent the width of each small interval under the curve, and as the number of intervals approaches infinity, the sum of these infinitesimals gives the exact area under the curve.

3. What is the significance of infinitesimals in integration?

Infinitesimals play a crucial role in the process of integration as they allow us to accurately calculate the area under a curve. Without them, integration would not be possible as we would only be able to approximate the area using finite rectangles rather than finding the exact value.

4. Are infinitesimals considered to be real numbers?

No, infinitesimals are not considered to be real numbers. They are a mathematical concept that represents a quantity that is infinitely small. In the real number system, there is no number that is infinitely small, so infinitesimals are not included.

5. Can infinitesimals be used in other areas of mathematics besides integration?

Yes, infinitesimals have applications in other areas of mathematics, such as calculus, differential equations, and non-standard analysis. They also have uses in physics, engineering, and other fields where continuous quantities are involved.