Instantaneous angular speed question

In summary, calculating instantaneous angular speed involves finding the derivative of the function theta(t) with respect to time. It is not the derivative of delta theta over delta t, but rather the derivative of theta(t) itself. This can be found by taking the limit as delta t approaches 0. It does not involve a tangent line like normal instantaneous velocity, but rather the derivative itself represents the instantaneous rate of change of the function.
Erenjaeger

Homework Statement

How do you calculate instantaneous angular speed?[/B]

Homework Equations

I have been told that it is when delta t approaches 0, so its just the derivative of delta theta over delta t.[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

does it involve tangent line like normal instantaneous velocity ?
[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Erenjaeger said:

Homework Statement

How do you calculate instantaneous angular speed?[/B]
You are on the right track involving derivatives. See below.

Homework Equations

I have been told that it is when delta t approaches 0, [/B]
Yes, this is true.

(I'm making a few assumptions about [itex] \theta (t) [/itex] not having a discontinuity at the point of t in question. But for simplicity sake, I'll just say, "yes, that's true," which it is for most cases.)
so its just the derivative of delta theta over delta t.
Be careful here. It is not the derivative of [itex] \frac{\Delta \theta}{\Delta t} [/itex]. Be careful of your wording there.

Rather, the instantaneous angular velocity [itex] \omega (t) [/itex] is the derivative of [itex] \theta (t) [/itex] with respect to t (not "over [itex] \Delta t [/itex]").

Making the stipulations about smooth functions (not having discontinuities and so forth),

[tex] \lim_{\Delta t \rightarrow 0} \frac{\Delta \theta}{\Delta t} = \frac{d}{dt} \{ \theta (t) \} = \omega (t) [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

does it involve tangent line like normal instantaneous velocity ?[/B]

That question has a simple answer, but I'll let you ponder that. If you objectively know the behavior a variable or function, say [itex] \theta(t) [/itex] which changes as a function of time, what is the instantaneous rate of change of that function? What is the derivative of a function?

FAQ: Instantaneous angular speed question

1. What is instantaneous angular speed?

Instantaneous angular speed is the rate of change of angular displacement at a specific moment in time. It is a measure of how fast an object is rotating at a given instant.

2. How is instantaneous angular speed calculated?

Instantaneous angular speed is calculated by dividing the change in angular displacement by the change in time. This can also be expressed as the derivative of angular displacement with respect to time.

3. What is the unit for instantaneous angular speed?

The unit for instantaneous angular speed is radians per second (rad/s). This unit indicates the change in angular displacement per second.

4. How does instantaneous angular speed differ from average angular speed?

Instantaneous angular speed is the angular speed at a specific moment, while average angular speed is the total angular displacement over a period of time. Instantaneous angular speed can change constantly, while average angular speed is a single value over a given time interval.

5. What factors can affect the value of instantaneous angular speed?

The value of instantaneous angular speed can be affected by the object's moment of inertia, the applied torque, and external forces such as friction or air resistance. It can also be affected by changes in the object's shape or size.

Back