Integrals of motion (also First integrals)

In summary, the conversation discusses finding integrals of motion for a system described by a specific lagrangian. It is mentioned that \vartheta is the only cyclic coordinate, leading to the first integral of motion being \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot\vartheta }=m\dot\vartheta . The concept of Noether Theorem is introduced as a way to find all conservation laws for the system, and it is suggested to examine them individually to see which ones do not depend on time. A link to further information on integrals of motion is also provided.
Happy
Hi all,

Homework Statement

I have got a system described by this lagrangian [itex]L(\varphi ,\psi ,\vartheta ,\dot\varphi ,\dot\psi ,\dot\vartheta )=\frac{1}{2}m(\dot\varphi^2 +\dot\psi^2 +\dot\vartheta^2 )+cos(\varphi ^2+\psi ^2)[/itex]. I have to find all system's integrals of motion.

2. The attempt at a solution
From [itex]L(\varphi ,\psi ,\vartheta ,\dot\varphi ,\dot\psi ,\dot\vartheta )=\frac{1}{2}m(\dot\varphi^2 +\dot\psi^2 +\dot\vartheta^2 )+cos(\varphi ^2+\psi ^2)[/itex] I know that [itex]\vartheta[/itex] is the only cyclic coordinate. Therefore 1st integral of motion is [itex]\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot\vartheta }=m\dot\vartheta [/itex].

And 2nd integral of motion is
[itex]E=\sum_{}^{}\left(\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot q}\dot q\right)-L=\left(\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot \varphi }\dot \varphi +\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot \psi }\dot \psi +\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot \vartheta }\dot \vartheta \right)-L[/itex]

Probably there are more integrals of motion. Unfortunately, I do not know how to find them. I would be grateful if you could help me and guide me through the process of finding them all.

Help me please I really need it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thank u very much, that Noether Theorem was the key.

Related to Integrals of motion (also First integrals)

What are integrals of motion?

Integrals of motion, also known as first integrals, are mathematical quantities that remain constant throughout the motion of a dynamic system. They are derived from the equations of motion and represent the underlying symmetries or conservations of the system.

Why are integrals of motion important?

Integrals of motion are important because they provide a way to simplify the equations of motion and make them more manageable. They also reveal underlying symmetries and conservations that can help us better understand and predict the behavior of a system.

What types of systems have integrals of motion?

Integrals of motion can be found in a wide range of systems, including mechanical, electrical, and quantum systems. They are also present in systems described by classical mechanics, as well as those described by more advanced theories such as relativity and quantum mechanics.

How are integrals of motion calculated?

Integrals of motion are calculated by solving the equations of motion and identifying quantities that remain constant throughout the motion. This can often be done by using symmetries of the system, such as time translation or rotation invariance, to simplify the equations and isolate the integral.

What is the significance of integrals of motion in physics?

Integrals of motion play a crucial role in physics as they represent fundamental laws and principles that govern the behavior of physical systems. They also allow us to make predictions and analyze the dynamics of a system without needing to solve complex equations of motion.