Integrate [(x^4+x^2+1)/2(1+x^2)]dx: Soln & Explanation

• Thread starter Tanishq Nandan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary, the conversation was about a problem where the task was to integrate [(x^4+x^2+1)/2(1+x^2)]dx and a solution was given that included splitting the original expression into two parts: (x^4+x^2)/2(1+x^2) and 1/2(1+x^2). However, there was a mistake in the integration from lines 3 to 4, which was corrected by splitting the original expression as x^4+x^2+1/2(1+x^2)=x^4+x^2/2(1+x^2)+1/2(1+x^2).
Tanishq Nandan

Homework Statement

Integrate: [(x^4+x^2+1)/2(1+x^2)]dx

Homework Equations

[/B]
Integral of x^n=x^(n+1)/(n+1)
Integral of 1/(1+x^2)=arctanx

The Attempt at a Solution

I have attached my solution.All the steps seem to be correct,but the answer isn't matching,don't know why.

Attachments

• 20170615_131630.jpg
    20170615_131630.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 329
Physics news on Phys.org
Your integration from lines 3 to 4 is not correct:
[tex]
\int \frac{1}{1 + x^{-2}} \mathrm{d} x \neq \tan^{-1} \left(\frac{1}{x}\right).
[/tex]
My suggestion is to instead split the original expression as
[tex]
\frac{x^4 + x^2 + 1}{2(1 + x^{2})} = \frac{x^4 + x^2}{2(1 + x^{2})} + \frac{1}{2(1 + x^{2})}.
[/tex]

Fightfish said:
My suggestion is to instead split the original expression as
x4+x2+12(1+x2)=x4+x22(1+x2)+12(1+x2).x4+x2+12(1+x2)=x4+x22(1+x2)+12(1+x2).​
Oops,why didn't I think of that?Thanks.
Fightfish said:
∫11+x−2dx≠tan−1(1x).∫11+x−2dx≠tan−1⁡(1x).​
\int \frac{1}{1 + x^{-2}} \mathrm{d} x \neq \tan^{-1} \left(\frac{1}{x}\right).
Yep,sorry.

Related to Integrate [(x^4+x^2+1)/2(1+x^2)]dx: Soln & Explanation

What is Integration?

Integration is a mathematical process that involves finding the antiderivative of a function, also known as the reverse of differentiation. It is used to calculate the area under a curve or to find the original function from its derivative.

What is the formula for Integration?

The formula for integration is ∫f(x)dx = F(x) + C, where f(x) is the function to be integrated, F(x) is its antiderivative, and C is the constant of integration.

How do you solve the given integral?

To solve the given integral, we first need to rewrite the integrand in a simpler form. In this case, we can use partial fractions to rewrite the integrand as (1/2)∫(x^4+ x^2+ 1)/(1+x^2) dx. Then, we can use the power rule and the formula for the integral of 1/(1+x^2) to find the antiderivative. Finally, we plug in the limits of integration and simplify to get the final solution.

What is the purpose of integration?

The purpose of integration is to calculate the area under a curve, which has many real-world applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It is also used to find the original function from its derivative, which is important in solving differential equations.

What are some tips for solving integrals?

Some tips for solving integrals include rewriting the integrand in a simpler form, using known integration formulas, and using techniques such as substitution or integration by parts. It is also important to pay attention to the limits of integration and always include the constant of integration in the final solution.