Integration by special technique

• Thread starter PhyCalc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary, the user is trying to solve the integral ∫0π/2 (sinx/sinx+cosx) dx using the Karl Weierstrass method. They have attempted to solve the indefinite integral using trig identities, but have not arrived at the correct answer of π/4. They have been advised to use parentheses when writing the integrand, and to try the substitution x=pi/2-u.
PhyCalc
Mentor note: Thread was moved to homework section

Hello Folks
I have integral
0π/2 (sinx/sinx+cosx) dx

I have got the answer is π/4

I have even solved indefinite integral
[ln(tan^2(x/2)-2(tan(x/2))-1)]/2 + [tan-1(tan(x/2)) + [ln(1+tan^2(x/2))]/2]/2

my problem is I am not getting pi/4 as final answer

I have got (ln(-2))/2 + π/8 + (ln(2))/4

is there something I am missing?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
PhyCalc said:
Hello Folks
I have integral
0π/2 (sinx/sinx+cosx) dx

I'm not sure I believe that answer for the indefinite integral. You can use some trig identities to simplify things. Note that:

##sin(x) + cos(x) = \sqrt{2}sin(x + \frac{\pi}{4})##

Then tackle the numerator. Hint: ##x = x + \frac{\pi}{4} - \frac{\pi}{4}##

PhyCalc said:
How? The result is wrong.

PhyCalc said:

Hello Folks
I have integral
0π/2 (sinx/sinx+cosx) dx

Unless the integral is ##\int_0^{\pi/2} 1 + cos(x)dx##, then yes, there is something you're missing - parentheses.

If you meant ##\frac{sin(x)}{sin(x) + cos(x)}##, then you should have written it as sin(x)/(sin(x) + cos(x)).

Mark44 said:
Unless the integral is ##\int_0^{\pi/2} 1 + cos(x)dx##, then yes, there is something you're missing - parentheses.

If you meant ##\frac{sin(x)}{sin(x) + cos(x)}##, then you should have written it as sin(x)/(sin(x) + cos(x)).

Here's a hint. Try the substitution x=pi/2-u.

Last edited:
Likes mfb and vela
PhyCalc said:

Hello Folks
I have integral
0π/2 (sinx/sinx+cosx) dx

The integrand is ##(\pi/2)[\sin x / \sin x + \cos x] = (\pi/2)[ 1 + \cos x]##, so your integral looks incorrect. Did you mean
[tex] \frac{\pi}{2} \frac{\sin x}{\sin x + \cos x}?[/tex]
If so, use parentheses, like this: sin(x)/(sin(x) + cos(x)] or sin x /(sin x + cos x).

Ray Vickson said:
The integrand is ##(\pi/2)[\sin x / \sin x + \cos x] = (\pi/2)[ 1 + \cos x]##, so your integral looks incorrect. Did you mean
[tex] \frac{\pi}{2} \frac{\sin x}{\sin x + \cos x}?[/tex]
If so, use parentheses, like this: sin(x)/(sin(x) + cos(x)] or sin x /(sin x + cos x).
That's what I said in post #4.

Mark44 said:
That's what I said in post #4.

Yes, but for some reason that post did not appear on my screen until well after I responded. I have seen this type of thing happen several times already (where several previous responses appear only after I make a response).

Sorry Guys for late reply
Thanks Mark I am not sure How you guys input those math expression

Here I have attached picture .
I have to use Karl Weierstrass method (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tangent_half-angle_substitution)
to solve this integral NO OTHER trig methods.
upload_2014-11-2_20-24-17.png

Last edited:
PhyCalc said:
Sorry Guys for late reply
Thanks Mark I am not sure How you guys input those math expression

Here I have attached picture .
I have to use Karl Weierstrass method (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tangent_half-angle_substitution)
to solve this integral NO OTHER trig methods.
View attachment 75060

That's too bad. There's an easy elementary (if somewhat tricky) solution using the substitution I suggested before. Maybe you could show your work in setting up the Weierstrass substitution?

FAQ: Integration by special technique

1. What is integration by special technique?

Integration by special technique is a method of solving integrals that involves using specific methods or tricks to simplify the integration process. This is often used when traditional methods such as substitution or integration by parts are not effective.

2. When is integration by special technique used?

Integration by special technique is used when traditional methods are not effective or when the integral involves a specific function that can be solved using a known technique. It is also used when the integral involves trigonometric, logarithmic, or exponential functions.

3. What are some common techniques used in integration by special technique?

Some common techniques used in integration by special technique include trigonometric substitution, partial fractions, inverse trigonometric substitution, and integration by parts twice. These techniques are used depending on the form of the integral and the functions involved.

4. How do you know which special technique to use for a given integral?

The choice of special technique depends on the form of the integral and the functions involved. It is important to identify the type of integral and the functions present before choosing a special technique. Practice and experience also play a key role in determining which technique is most suitable for a given integral.

5. Are there any tips for mastering integration by special technique?

Practice and familiarity with different types of integrals and functions are key to mastering integration by special technique. It is also helpful to have a good understanding of traditional integration methods and when they are not effective. Additionally, breaking down the integral into simpler parts and recognizing patterns can also aid in solving integrals using special techniques.