Integration on a open interval?

In summary, the person is asking for help with integrating on an open interval, specifically with the function f(x) = x^2 + 2x + 3 on the interval (2,7). They clarify that they are not trying to integrate on a closed interval, but rather just on the open interval. They ask for any suggestions or ideas on how to do this. The expert responds by saying that it doesn't make a difference for this function, but points out that it may make a difference for functions with different anti derivatives. The person asks for clarification on integrating distributions, to which the expert responds that the only way a single point can make a difference is if integrating distributions with singularities, such as delta functions.
GreenPrint

Homework Statement

I was wondering how one integrates on a open interval. For example let's say I wanted to integrate the function f(x) = x^2 + 2x + 3 on (2,7). Note that it's on the OPEN INTERVAL not closed of all the x values from 2 to 7 not including 2 to 7. I'm not trying to integrate on [2,7] but on (2,7). How do I do this? Thanks. Any ideas or suggestions or anything at all would be appreciated.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
It doesn't make any difference. Why do you think it does? The contribution from the endpoints is zero.

I know it may not make a difference for this function but what about functions whose anti derivatives are different if you were to take the left hand limit of the anti derivative and the right hand limit of the derivative at the points that were to determine the open interval

GreenPrint said:
I know it may not make a difference for this function but what about functions whose anti derivatives are different if you were to take the left hand limit of the anti derivative and the right hand limit of the derivative at the points that were to determine the open interval

The only way the contribution from a single point can make a difference is if you are integrating distributions with singularities. Like delta functions. Distributions are different from functions. Are you integrating distributions?

FAQ: Integration on a open interval?

What is integration on an open interval?

Integration on an open interval is a mathematical process of finding the area under a curve or the total accumulation of a function on a specified interval that does not include its endpoints. It is represented by the symbol ∫ and is a fundamental concept in calculus.

Why is integration on an open interval important?

Integration on an open interval is important because it allows us to solve a wide range of problems in various fields such as physics, economics, and engineering. It helps us understand the behavior of a function and make predictions about its future values.

What are the different types of integration on an open interval?

The two main types of integration on an open interval are definite and indefinite integrals. A definite integral has specific limits of integration and gives a numerical value, while an indefinite integral has no limits and gives a general function.

What are the steps to solve an integration on an open interval problem?

The steps to solve an integration on an open interval problem are as follows:1. Identify the function and the interval.2. Determine the type of integral (definite or indefinite).3. Simplify the function using algebraic techniques.4. Use integration rules and techniques to solve the integral.5. Check your answer using differentiation.

What are some common integration rules and techniques?

Some common integration rules and techniques include the power rule, substitution, integration by parts, and trigonometric substitution. These rules and techniques help to simplify and solve integrals more efficiently.