Interesting astro/phys question I'd like the naswer to

In summary, assuming the observable universe and a mass density of 27% of critical density, a normal adult male with a mass of 80kg would fill a volume of roughly 8.3*10^27 cubic meters, which is equivalent to a sphere with a radius of about 8 million kilometers. However, if only considering ordinary matter, the volume would increase to about 1.8*10^28 cubic meters or a sphere with a radius of 3.5 million kilometers. This is significantly larger than the Earth and Sun.
ajm133
I'm a normal adult male (abt 6ft tall, 180 pounds), if my density was that of the mean density of the universe, what would be my volume?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
It depends a little bit on what defintion of universe (which is a whole more complicated question) but assuming the observable universe that is a sphere about 90Bn lyr in diameter and so has a volume of around 3 x 10 ^80 m^3.
It contains around 100Bn galaxies, each with a few 100Bn stars so 10^22 stars.
A star has a mass of around 2x10^30kg so the universe weighs about 10^52kg
So the density is about 10^(80-52) = 10^-28 kg/m^3 (assuming just stars ignoring dark matter etc)

If you weigh 80kg then at that density you would fill a volume of around 8x10^29m^3 or a radius around 10^10m = 10 million km. By comparison the Earth is only 150million km from the sun

edit thanks sylas - I hit sqrt instead of cube root!

Last edited:
ajm133 said:
I'm a normal adult male (abt 6ft tall, 180 pounds), if my density was that of the mean density of the universe, what would be my volume?

Roughly 8.3*1027 cubic meters. (I'm using the mass density, including dark matter, which is about 27% of critical density.)

That's about the same as a sphere with a radius of 8 million kilometers.

Congratulations -- Sylas

Argh. We both made errors in the above. mgb_phys calculated the radius incorrectly, and I stuffed up some calculations. Let me try my method again, and show the working.

Critical density of the universe is about 10-29 g/cm3, or in SI units, 10-26 kg/m3.

In the current consensus model of cosmology, this is 27% matter and 73% dark energy. Most of the matter is "dark matter"; ordinary matter makes up about 4.5% of the total.

So the ordinary matter density is about 4.5*10-28 kg/m3. That's about four times what mgb_phys estimates. There's a lot of matter in clouds of dust and hydrogen, which partially accounts for this, perhaps, and the masses of stars, and sizes of galaxies vary a lot.

Including dark matter, the total matter density is about 2.7*10-27 kg/m3.

Thus 81 kg would fill out about 3 * 1028 m3. If you ignore the dark matter, this becomes more like 1.8 * 1029 m3.

The volume of a sphere is 4πR3/3, so the radius of the sphere with volume 3 * 1028 m3 is about 2 million kilometers. That is how much volume you would take at the matter density of the universe.

Using just the ordinary matter density of the universe (the same stuff you are made of) your volume blows out to that of a sphere with radius about 3.5 million kilometers.

By comparison, the radius of the Earth is about 6400 kilometers, and the radius of the Sun is about 700,000 kilometers.

Cheers -- sylas

Related to Interesting astro/phys question I'd like the naswer to

1. What is the difference between astronomy and astrophysics?

Astronomy is the study of celestial objects and phenomena such as planets, stars, galaxies, and black holes. Astrophysics, on the other hand, combines the principles of physics and astronomy to understand the physical properties and behavior of these celestial objects.

2. What is dark matter and why is it important?

Dark matter is a hypothetical type of matter that does not emit or interact with light, making it invisible to telescopes. It is believed to make up about 85% of the total matter in the universe and is crucial in explaining the motions of galaxies and the structure of the universe.

3. How do scientists measure the age of the universe?

Scientists use a variety of methods to determine the age of the universe, including measuring the brightness and distance of distant galaxies, studying cosmic microwave background radiation, and analyzing the composition of stars and other celestial objects.

4. Can life exist on other planets?

There is currently no concrete evidence of life existing on other planets, but scientists believe that there are many planets in our galaxy and beyond that may have the necessary conditions for life to exist. Future missions and advancements in technology may help us find the answer to this question.

5. What is the ultimate fate of the universe?

The ultimate fate of the universe is still a topic of debate among scientists, but some theories suggest that the universe will continue to expand forever, while others propose a "Big Crunch" scenario where the universe will eventually collapse in on itself. More research and observations are needed to determine the fate of our universe.