Interpretations of the Aharonov-Bohm effect

In summary, the debate surrounding the Aharonov-Bohm effect and the gauge potential being a "real" ontic entity is a matter of interpretation and perspective. The term "ontic" does not necessarily mean "measurable," but rather refers to a useful concept for thinking about the unmeasured world. The theory of electromagnetism dictates what is measurable, and a gauge-dependent quantity like the potential cannot be uniquely specified by the physical situation it describes. However, the Aharonov-Bohm effect itself is observable and can be described by a gauge-invariant quantity, the phase shift. Therefore, the potential can be considered a fundamental field, while the electric field is derived from it, much like the relationship between position and velocity
Demystifier said:
But it makes the same measurable predictions as standard QM. Or do you think that it doesn't?

Or if you think that it does, why then Bohmian mechanics is a different theory, while interpretation of gauge field as real isn't?
What has this to do with Newtonian mechanics and where Mars is?

Physics news on Phys.org
PeterDonis said:
We have multiple Insights articles on this (and plenty of previous threads); this one is probably the best one to start with:

https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/misconceptions-virtual-particles/This is circular reasoning: you're assuming a particular model in which virtual particles are real and cause the pattern, and then you're trying to argue that because the pattern is real, the virtual particles must be real.

It's always a mistake to confuse models with reality. Virtual particles are part of one particular model--and even that is less than it appears, since that model is based on perturbation theory, which can't even be used to make predictions about many phenomena (and one of them, AFAIK, is in fact the Aharonov-Bohm effect). The fact that a certain observable phenomenon is real can never, by itself, prove that every entity in a particular theoretical model about that phenomenon is real.
What then, according to you, is real? You think there lies nothing behind the observations? The math of virtuality is not real either. I can't observe the integral over the four-momentum of the Green function of the field (a rough description of a virtual propagator, a quantum bubble). I can imagine what the bubble describes though. A weird particle, going forward and backwards in time, with all energies and momenta, all over the place. Which is an ideal stuff for charged particles to couple to when interacting with other particles. Or to realize real particles out of, moving in one time direction only. I think they even made up the pre-big bang stuff, fluctuating in time, waiting to inflate into reality. Waiting for the right condition.

JandeWandelaar said:
Is it the B-field inside the solenoid that induces the phaseshift of the electron field? Isn't a gauge on the electron field performed?
It's the B-field. As demonstrated above for the idealized case of an infinite solenoid, the phase, describing the shift of the interference pattern when switching on this B-field, is given by the gauge-invariant magnetic flux through the solenoid. Outside the solenoid the B-field is vanishing and ##\vec{A}## is a gradient, but it's a "potential vortex" so that the closed line integral along a path encircling the solenoid does not vanish but gives the said magnetic flux. The important point here is that the region outside the solenoid is not simply connected. In this sense the AB effect is a topological effect.

Likes JandeWandelaar
vanhees71 said:
It's the B-field. As demonstrated above for the idealized case of an infinite solenoid, the phase, describing the shift of the interference pattern when switching on this B-field, is given by the gauge-invariant magnetic flux through the solenoid. Outside the solenoid the B-field is vanishing and ##\vec{A}## is a gradient, but it's a "potential vortex" so that the closed line integral along a path encircling the solenoid does not vanish but gives the said magnetic flux. The important point here is that the region outside the solenoid is not simply connected. In this sense the AB effect is a topological effect.
Thanks. Indeed. Ryder gives a nice exposition of the effect being topological because of the non-simply-connectedness (is this good English?). How is the electron informed about the thin solenoid? You would expect the thin flux of magnetic field in the solenoid not to reach outside it. But it does have effect. Is it the very topology that causes the shift? Or virtual photons?

martinbn said:
What has this to do with Newtonian mechanics and where Mars is?
Consistency, one should use the same standards of rational reasoning in all of physics. You use one set of standards in classical physics, another in Bohm's theory, and yet another in interpretation of the AB effect.

Likes Fra and JandeWandelaar
An analogy: Saying that gauge potential is not real because it is not invariant under gauge transformations is like saying that classical particle position ##x## is not real because it is not invariant under translations of the origin ##x\to x'=x+a##.

Likes JandeWandelaar
Demystifier said:
An analogy: Saying that gauge potential is not real because it is not invariant under gauge transformations is like saying that classical particle position ##x## is not real because it is not invariant under translations of the origin ##x\to x'=x+a##.
Don't you mean "invariant" instead of "not invariant"?

So you think the A-field is real? Or only differences?

JandeWandelaar said:
Don't you mean "invariant" instead of "not invariant"?
No.

JandeWandelaar said:
So you think the A-field is real? Or only differences?
I mean it corresponds to something real, just as particle position ##x## corresponds to something real. For example, if ##x=5##, it's not the number ##5## that's real, but it's the particle at a definite position (which we label with number 5) that's real. With a change of origin we can turn 5 into any other number we wish, but it doesn't change the reality of the particle at a definite position. Reality of the potential is completely analogous.

To understand the analogy further, in particle mechanics one might try to argue that only velocity is real, because it's invariant under the translation of the origin above. That's completely analogous to the argument that only the ##E,B## field is real in electrodynamics. And I claim it's wrong. Just as particle position is real even when it doesn't have velocity, the local gauge potential is real even when it doesn't have the local ##E,B## field.

Likes JandeWandelaar
Demystifier said:
No.I mean it corresponds to something real, just as particle position ##x## corresponds to something real. For example, if ##x=5##, it's not the number ##5## that's real, but it's the particle at a definite position (which we label with number 5) that's real. With a change of origin we can turn 5 into any other number we wish, but it doesn't change the reality of the particle at a definite position. Reality of the potential is completely analogous.

To understand the analogy further, in particle mechanics one might try to argue that only velocity is real, because it's invariant under the translation of the origin above. That's completely analogous to the argument that only the ##E,B## field is real in electrodynamics. And I claim it's wrong. Just as particle position is real even when it doesn't have velocity, the local gauge potential is real even when it doesn't have the local ##E,B##

Demystifier said:
No.I mean it corresponds to something real, just as particle position ##x## corresponds to something real. For example, if ##x=5##, it's not the number ##5## that's real, but it's the particle at a definite position (which we label with number 5) that's real. With a change of origin we can turn 5 into any other number we wish, but it doesn't change the reality of the particle at a definite position. Reality of the potential is completely analogous.

To understand the analogy further, in particle mechanics one might try to argue that only velocity is real, because it's invariant under the translation of the origin above. That's completely analogous to the argument that only the ##E,B## field is real in electrodynamics. And I claim it's wrong. Just as particle position is real even when it doesn't have velocity, the local gauge potential is real even when it doesn't have the local ##E,B## field.
I see what you mean. The potential of a particle in the Earth's potential springs up in my mind. You can change, gauge, the global potential field without changing the differences. Doesn't that mean the potential is invariant under a global transformation? Which leads to an assignment of it being non-real?. Though real in the sense it has effect? Performing a global gauge keeps everything the same. Which doesn't mean it's unreal because the differences have effect. In the AB case, the A-field is not globally changed nor locally. A local change would imply changes independent of position. So an independent gauge at every position of the position between slits and screen. A global gauge means the same gauge at every position. Can't we say the solenoid induces a gauge which is a function of position?

Demystifier said:
Consistency, one should use the same standards of rational reasoning in all of physics. You use one set of standards in classical physics, another in Bohm's theory, and yet another in interpretation of the AB effect.
I am not sure what you are referring to!

Do you still think that your Mars examples was a good one, or do you agree with me that it was not?

vanhees71 said:
One thing that people don't say is that not only the A-field is not uniquely defined, but it is also not defined at all if the region is not simply connected. On every simplyconnected open subset a field A exists, but you cannot choose them so that they patch to a global field. This doesn't seem to bother people that want to think of A as real!

Likes dextercioby
martinbn said:
Do you still think that your Mars examples was a good one
Yes. The fact that you don't get it explains why we can't reach much agreement on quantum interpretations.

JandeWandelaar said:
Thanks. Indeed. Ryder gives a nice exposition of the effect being topological because of the non-simply-connectedness (is this good English?). How is the electron informed about the thin solenoid? You would expect the thin flux of magnetic field in the solenoid not to reach outside it. But it does have effect. Is it the very topology that causes the shift? Or virtual photons?
The electrons are not localized in this setup, so that you get an interference pattern to begin with. So you cannot say that the electron is never within the region where a magnetic field is present.

martinbn said:
One thing that people don't say is that not only the A-field is not uniquely defined, but it is also not defined at all if the region is not simply connected. On every simplyconnected open subset a field A exists, but you cannot choose them so that they patch to a global field. This doesn't seem to bother people that want to think of A as real!
It resonates well with my particle position analogy. On a sphere we can't define a global system of coordinates, but it doesn't bother people who want to think that position of a classical particle on a sphere is real.

Demystifier said:
Yes. The fact that you don't get it explains why we can't reach much agreement on quantum interpretations.
Let me get this straight. According to you in classical mechanics the position observable doesn't have a specific value at a given time if an observation is not made at that time?

Likes vanhees71
Demystifier said:
It resonates well with my particle position analogy. On a sphere we can't define a global system of coordinates, but it doesn't bother people who want to think that position of a classical particle on a sphere is real.
This shows that you don't understand it. It is not analogous to coordinates. A function on a sphere is defined everywhere on the sphere although there are no global coordinates and the function cannot be expressed in coordinates globaly. On the other hand on a nonsimplyconnected regen an one-form ##\omega##, which is closed (i.e. ##d\omega=0##) need not be exact (i.e. there may be no function ##f## such that ##df=\omega##) even though locally that is true.

Likes vanhees71
martinbn said:
Let me get this straight. According to you in classical mechanics the position observable doesn't have a specific value at a given time if an observation is not made at that time?
That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying that if classical mechanics is interpreted strictly operationally (in a sense in which quantum mechanics is often interpreted strictly operationally), then classical mechanics is agnostic on the question whether position has a value when not measured. I am also saying that such a strictly operational interpretation does not contradict any observed fact, that almost nobody uses such a strict operational interpretation of classical mechanics (and certainly not me), and that many people use such a strict operational interpretation of quantum mechanics. I am also saying that anybody who uses strictly operational interpretation in quantum physics, but not in classical physics, uses double standards.

Likes CoolMint and dextercioby
martinbn said:
This shows that you don't understand it. It is not analogous to coordinates. A function on a sphere is defined everywhere on the sphere although there are no global coordinates and the function cannot be expressed in coordinates globaly. On the other hand on a nonsimplyconnected regen an one-form ##\omega##, which is closed (i.e. ##d\omega=0##) need not be exact (i.e. there may be no function ##f## such that ##df=\omega##) even though locally that is true.
I think it's a good analogy. In both cases you can do something locally, but due to topological reasons you cannot do it globally. The two things are not mathematically equivalent, but there is an analogy.

Demystifier said:
That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying that if classical mechanics is interpreted strictly operationally (in a sense in which quantum mechanics is often interpreted strictly operationally), then classical mechanics is agnostic on the question whether position has a value when not measured. I am also saying that such a strictly operational interpretation does not contradict any observed fact, that almost nobody uses such a strict operational interpretation of classical mechanics (and certainly not me), and that many people use such a strict operational interpretation of quantum mechanics. I am also saying that anybody who uses strictly operational interpretation in quantum physics, but not in classical physics, uses double standards.
I think you just refuse to admit it although you very well know that you were wrong.
Demystifier said:
I think it's a good analogy. In both cases you can do something locally, but due to topological reasons you cannot do it globally. The two things are not mathematically equivalent, but there is an analogy.
No it is not. There is a difference between a mathematical object exists globaly, but cannot be represented globaly in coordinates (in case there are no global coordinates) and a mathematical object does not exist. If you don't understand that, I cannot help you. I can see why you are confused and how you can believe what you believe without realizing that it makes no sense.

vanhees71 said:
The electrons are not localized in this setup, so that you get an interference pattern to begin with. So you cannot say that the electron is never within the region where a magnetic field is present.
Ah yes. The electron "scans" the whole space, so to speak. Will it's presence inside the solenoid influence it's state outside it? Will it couple to the virtual photon condensate inside it, or are there virtual photons in the whole region (be they real or a math aid)?

martinbn said:
There is a difference between a mathematical object exists globaly, but cannot be represented globaly in coordinates (in case there are no global coordinates) and a mathematical object does not exist. If you don't understand that, I cannot help you. I can see why you are confused and how you can believe what you believe without realizing that it makes no sense.
If something (call it ##A##) exists globally, but cannot be represented globally in coordinates, then coordinate representation ##R(A)## does not exist globally. A coordinate representation ##R(A)## is something too, right?

Besides, the fact that there are no global coordinates on the sphere is closely related to the fact that there is no everywhere non-vanishing vector field on the sphere. The vector field itself is a coordinate independent object, yet it's nonexistence is closely related to the non-existence of coordinates.

martinbn said:
I think you just refuse to admit it although you very well know that you were wrong.
Wrong about what?

Demystifier said:
If something (call it ##A##) exists globally, but cannot be represented globally in coordinates, then coordinate representation ##R(A)## does not exist globally. A coordinate representation ##R(A)## is something too, right?
It can be represented in any coordinate system. If there are no coordinates systems of some kind, that has nathing to do with ##A##.
Demystifier said:
Besides, the fact that there are no global coordinates on the sphere is closely related to the fact that there is no everywhere non-vanishing vector field on the sphere. The vector field itself is a coordinate independent object, yet it's nonexistence is closely related to the non-existence of coordinates.
Not sure how this is relevent, but it is not true. There are no global coordinates on any compact manifold, but there are global nonvanishing vector fields on many compact manifolds. For example on odd dimensional spheres or on the usual two dimensional torus.

In every video or write-up on the AB effect that I've watched or read over the past week or two it's always specified that the solenoid is infinitely long in the idealized experiment. If I understand correctly that results in a non-simply connected space where the A field resides. Thus the circular lines of the magnetic vector potential A field cannot shrink to a point and (presumably) disappear. So, in the topological sense for the idealized situation, the A field has to exist as a real entity. But since the 'solenoid' (iron whisker) used in the actual experiment is of finite length that would seem to nullify the topology argument for the AB effect.

Likes JandeWandelaar
Davephaelon said:
But since the 'solenoid' (iron whisker) used in the actual experiment is of finite length that would seem to nullify the topology argument for the AB effect.
I have wondered about that too. The space in the experiment is still simply connected. The insertion of a finite piece of mass doesn't introduce non-simply-connectedness. Or is the non-simple-connectedness a local phenomenon?

martinbn said:
Not sure how this is relevent, but it is not true. There are no global coordinates on any compact manifold, but there are global nonvanishing vector fields on many compact manifolds. For example on odd dimensional spheres or on the usual two dimensional torus.
You are mistaken. The 2-dimensional torus is a compact manifold that does have global coordinates.

Demystifier said:

That's quite common. For a differentiable manifold you may necessarily need atlasses with more than one map to cover the entire manifold. The same geometrical/topological properties you have in the case of the solenoid concerning the gauge field. It's a very well known property. See, e.g.,

T. T. Wu and C. N. Yang, Concept of nonintegrable phase
factors and global formulation of gauge fields, Phys. Rev. D
12, 3845 (1975),
https://link.aps.org/abstract/PRD/v12/i12/p3845

There's also a nice discussion in J. J. Sakurai, Modern Quantum Mechanics, >=Revised edition.

Demystifier said:
You are mistaken. The 2-dimensional torus is a compact manifold that does have global coordinates.
That's not true. If there were global coordinates for ##\mathbb T^2##, then there would have to be a homeomorphism ##f:\mathbb T^2\rightarrow U##, where ##U## is an non-empty open subset of ##\mathbb R^2##. Since homeomorphisms preserve compactness, ##U## would have to be compact. In ##\mathbb R^2##, a set is compact iff it is both closed and bounded. The only open sets ##U\subseteq\mathbb R^2## that are also closed are ##\varnothing## and ##\mathbb R^2##. ##\varnothing## is not non-empty and ##\mathbb R^2## is not bounded. So there is no subset ##U\subseteq\mathbb R^2## that qualifies as a global coordinate chart for ##\mathbb T^2##.

Likes vanhees71 and dextercioby
JandeWandelaar said:
What then, according to you, is real?
Things that appear in all of our models. For example, electrons are "real" because every model we have of matter includes them. But that does not mean real electrons are exactly the same as a theoretical "electron" in some particular model. Models are not reality.

JandeWandelaar said:
You think there lies nothing behind the observations?
Of course not. See above.

Likes dextercioby
Nullstein said:
That's not true.
It seems that we have different notions of "global coordinates" in mind. Take, for example, circle. I would say that the usual angle variable ##\varphi## is a global coordinate for circle, but obviously you would say it isn't.

Demystifier said:
It seems that we have different notions of "global coordinates" in mind. Take, for example, circle. I would say that the usual angle variable ##\varphi## is a global coordinate for circle, but obviously you would say it isn't.
This way you could get global coordinates on anything.

Likes vanhees71
Demystifier said:
I would say that the usual angle variable ##\varphi## is a global coordinate for circle
It does not meet the requirements for a global coordinate chart, since an open interval of ##\varphi## either does not cover the entire circle, or covers at least one point more than once. To cover every point on the circle exactly once, you need a half-closed interval of ##\varphi##.

A similar issue arises with any compact manifold. Many physics texts ignore or gloss over this technical issue, often because problems of interest can be analyzed without having to deal with it. But that doesn't mean it isn't there.

Likes vanhees71
Demystifier said:
The usual angle variable ##\varphi## is a coordinate, but you need two charts to cover the circle. That's the standard definition of a coordinate system in differential geometry and there is a good reason to allow only open sets: If you allow non-open sets, the notion of continuity isn't preserved by coordinate changes. If a function on the circle is given (in coordinate representation) by ##f:[0,2\pi]\rightarrow[0,2\pi], f(\varphi)=\frac\varphi 2##, then it seems to be continuous, but it is really discontinuous in a different coordinate system. That would also result in the impossibility to define differentiability. Also, some points may be represented by several coordinates. If you use a non-standard definition, you should mention that, because it may have unnoticed consequences and others generally assume the standard definition.

Likes Spinnor and Demystifier
Demystifier said:
the fact that there are no global coordinates on the sphere is closely related to the fact that there is no everywhere non-vanishing vector field on the sphere.
No, it isn't. There are compact manifolds that do have everywhere non-vanishing vector fields on them, but still cannot be covered by a single global coordinate chart. The circle, ##S^1##, which I discussed in post #242, is an example.

Likes vanhees71
Nullstein said:
If you use a non-standard definition, you should mention that, because it may have unnoticed consequences and others generally assume the standard definition.
I guess my implicit "definition" was that coordinates are "good" everywhere if there are no coordinate singularities in the metric tensor. But of course, a manifold does not need to have a metric tensor at all, so I see my error now. Thank you for explaining why only open sets are allowed, that's much more instructive than quoting a definition which says that it must be so.

After this mathematical intermezzo, now we can get back to physics and its interpretations again. :smile:

Likes Nullstein